If its true that DX12 update will double the XB1 graphics and performance

#21Tyronelio1Posted 4/20/2014 1:05:56 AM
LooksLikeRain posted...
Nobody knows exactly what it's going to do yet. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

---
Welcome to Sonyfaqs.com, where the mods cry at any opinion that's not their own.
#22SoulTrapperPosted 4/20/2014 1:12:49 AM
Tyronelio1 posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
Nobody knows exactly what it's going to do yet. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

So Microsoft themselves don't know what they're talking about?

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014/3/20/5530420/microsoft-claims-directx-12-will-improve-xbox-one-games-wont-require

When we spoke to Microsoft's Anuj Gosalia after the announcement, though, he downplayed the importance of DX12 for Xbox One titles. The Xbox One and PS4 have difficulty running the latest games at 1080p resolution, and Gosalia suggested that DX12 won't necessarily change that or offer any particular new graphical effects. "This just lets you exploit a little bit more of what the hardware can do."
#23Garage_ManPosted 4/20/2014 1:31:16 AM
No, it's actually going to quadruple it.
#24cmincPosted 4/20/2014 2:15:31 AM
Im not that heavy into the dx scene, but in knowing what little i do about computer hardware, software and game development, i'd like to, if i could, just steer the dx12 conversation in a more appropriate direction, just until someone with a more thorough understanding of dx's actual purpose shows up and can further clarify its strengths in simplifying software interactions with hardware components.

DX12 is not a patch or any kind of performance booster that will in, any significant way, make existing hardware outperform itself. Xb1's current specs arent being upgraded to better emulate superior parts or anything like that. DX exists to, very simply and plainly, allow software a lightweight (low resource) solution to accessing every ounce of power and hardware capability a machine has as quickly, easily, efficiently and, ultimately, as painlessly as possible. That's it. But, believe it or not, that's why it's awesome.

In broader terms, DX is a tool that simplifies just about every pain in the ass a developer can have. It gives them something very similar to a 'F it. Make it pretty button,' that enables them to stop focusing on the trial and error process of getting the most out of a machine one line of code or particle effect at a time and, instead, enables them a straightline 'balls to the wall' shot at getting optimal performance out of hardware while using fewer system resources than they are now for the same tasks. That last bit is where the '50% processor performance boost' comes from.

In other words, Dx12 doesnt make hardware better, it makes better results and performance easier to attain on that hardware. That's the cool news. The bad news has two parts. The first part is that no one knows when DX12 is coming out. Like, at all. It was rumored to have been finished and exclusive to windows 8 at launch in oct 2012, and the rumors of release come with every major windows update. It could come out tomorrow, at e3 or 2016. The people that know arent saying anything. In fact im pretty sure that phil spencer is the only person at ms to imply publicly that it is coming soon.

The second part of bad news is that, game development being what it is, third party developers wont likely have anything that uses it to its full potential available on store shelves until a couple years AFTER dx12 is actually released. I personally expect ms exclusives to be using it by the end of the year, but i admittedly base that on nothing but the pre rendered quantum break thingy at e3.

So yeah, DX12 deserves the hype it's getting as it can, realistically, 'boost hardware performance' but it's release will have no effect on games that werent specifically made for it.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | I7-4771 Turbo | GTX 770 4GB GDDR5 | Corsair HX 850W |
Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 128 MB Cache HD | RS Challenger Case |
#25Spetsnaz420Posted 4/20/2014 2:35:51 AM
Porunga posted...
jairusmonillas posted...
Words will stay as words. MS is a company that is not afraid to lie just to get what they want.

Right now, PS4 is almost twice more powerful.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

No less a reach than what MS is claiming of DX12.I I actua.lly feel sorry for people who believe this.
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#26SoulTrapperPosted 4/20/2014 6:24:29 AM
cminc posted...

In other words, Dx12 doesnt make hardware better, it makes better results and performance easier to attain on that hardware. That's the cool news. The bad news has two parts. The first part is that no one knows when DX12 is coming out. Like, at all. It was rumored to have been finished and exclusive to windows 8 at launch in oct 2012, and the rumors of release come with every major windows update. It could come out tomorrow, at e3 or 2016. The people that know arent saying anything. In fact im pretty sure that phil spencer is the only person at ms to imply publicly that it is coming soon.

I agree with most of what you said, but MS has already announced the first games making use of it to be released around December 2015:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/20/directx-12-first-dx12-games-to-hit-the-market-around-holiday-2015-says-microsoft/

So still 1.5 years out.
#27Juzten76Posted 4/20/2014 6:58:03 AM
Revival125 posted...
Jeez. Im sorry to burst your bubble I really am, but all consoles are just computers ok? Now, computers which don't have their parts upgraded, are not going to be significantly improved by software changes. It is just impossible. How much evidence do you want? When I downloaded direct x 11 on my PC, I wasn't able to magically play the best games at ultra.

Lol
#28OMGWYATTPosted 4/20/2014 7:00:17 AM
I don't understand why people think you can download hardware.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL: Riotsquad18
#29Masterchief5525Posted 4/20/2014 7:15:00 AM
Revival125 posted...
Jeez. Im sorry to burst your bubble I really am, but all consoles are just computers ok? Now, computers which don't have their parts upgraded, are not going to be significantly improved by software changes. It is just impossible. How much evidence do you want? When I downloaded direct x 11 on my PC, I wasn't able to magically play the best games at ultra.

If you watched the presentation you would of seen that besides the massive updates with DX12, you would have seen that with DX12 it can run a game lets say at the same settings as DX11 but with using less resources therefore allowing more to be done with the extra resources that were taken up before. And also the tiling that can be done with the esram is going to be great if implemented.
---
i7-4770k | AMD Radeon HD 7990 | 8gb G.Skill 1600mhz | 2TB WD HDD | Asus Z87-A
#30jasomramirez666Posted 4/20/2014 7:36:49 AM
OMGWYATT posted...
I don't understand why people think you can download hardware.

The power of the cloud makes all this possible. Sheesh do some research guys.

The cloud will double the XB1 performance then the DX12 will double it again. So we are going to get 4 times more power in the XB1.

The PS4 will look like last gen once this happens.