If its true that DX12 update will double the XB1 graphics and performance

#81AP3BrainPosted 4/25/2014 7:47:34 AM
LooksLikeRain posted...
Nobody knows exactly what it's going to do yet. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

We know for sure it won't "Double the graphical power" magically.
#82N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 4/25/2014 8:29:39 AM
I don't know why a decent sized leap in performance is so hard to believe.

DX12 looks to tackle the same issues as Mantle, and when mantle was released for BF4, some AMD GPUs performed 30-40% better than with DX11.

So a similar API on a closed system? Yeah, should be pretty sharp.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5
#83Viet0nePosted 4/25/2014 8:45:01 AM
DX12, nVidia DX11 Optimized Drivers, and Mantle all do the same thing. Optimize CPU overhead to reduce CPU bottleneck and allow the GPU to run at a higher efficiency.

We already know the peak performance of both the GPU in the Xbox One and the PS4. The question then becomes how much of the performance from the GPUs is either console getting. You will never get 100% of the performance from the GPU due to the additional overhead associated with the hardware between the components and the software layer that interacts with the application. Even if you were to run a game that has its own software layer to interact with the hardware and bypass the OS, you still have the overhead from accessing the GPU from the PCI Express interface through the motherboard.

The only possible way to double the existing performance from the Xbox one is if the Xbox one is getting less than half the performance form the GPU now. This would mean existing games are only able of achieving ~45% or lower of the theoretical performance of the Xbox One GPU due to the bottleneck. DX12 would optimize and remove the bottleneck and double the performance achieved.

Based on the games already released, we already know the Xbox One games are getting more than half the theoretical performance from the GPU since the games perform near identical to the performance level of a similar spec PC. Even if you factor in future console optimizations, that only accounts for a small improvement in performance.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIV ARR, FFXHD, Spelunky, Infamous SS
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#84godplaysSNESPosted 4/25/2014 8:54:47 AM(edited)
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
I don't know why a decent sized leap in performance is so hard to believe.

DX12 looks to tackle the same issues as Mantle, and when mantle was released for BF4, some AMD GPUs performed 30-40% better than with DX11.

So a similar API on a closed system? Yeah, should be pretty sharp.

Except the consoles already have such APIs, and they should even be more beneficial than Mantle, DirectX12 or OpenGL 4.x.

One of the biggest benefits for console development is that you can code "close to the metal", whereas PCs have to use a bloated API to account for all different hardware.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#85SoulTrapperPosted 4/25/2014 9:52:55 AM(edited)
Sin_Angelus_ posted...

Like I told you in the other topic, just because you say something is proven in your posts doesn't mean it actually is. I clearly posted more sources than you did stating that DirectX 12 will in fact improve graphics, framerate, and resolution. And that is in essence improving hardware (or how it performs at least), so don't start nitpicking over a couple words again. It looks like my point is even more abundantly clear than yours.

Again: NO ONE IS DENYING THAT DX12 COULD OFFER A BOOST IN GRAPHICS, FRAMERATE AND RESOLUTION.

DX12 does not improve the hardware, though
You can't improve the hardware with a software update.

You can squeeze more out of the hardware that is available, but you can't make it better hardware.

Posting more sources doesn't mean you are correct (especially not when half of them refer to the same article as their source).
Which was proven when I pointed out exactly where the biggest xbox hardware issues lie (the eSRAM) and you mysteriously disappeared from the topic.
#86BeasthuntPosted 4/25/2014 10:46:26 AM
This thread is magic. Literally. Reading these comments are the best. It's like the best storybook ever written. Even when M$ said a small bump, you still have the ones who believe it will boost power by 9000.

I love you guys.
---
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt.
Acts 2:38
#87Sin_Angelus_Posted 4/25/2014 1:22:38 PM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...
Again: NO ONE IS DENYING THAT DX12 COULD OFFER A BOOST IN GRAPHICS, FRAMERATE AND RESOLUTION.

SoulTrapper posted...
Because there is close to no overhead on consoles, DX12 won't do much of anything for them.

SoulTrapper posted...
And this article, which has already, been posted 5 times or so, has Microsoft themselves saying DX12 won't change anything for the xbox one:

Actually, you did say that it wouldn't change anything, or "won't do much of anything", both of which are wrong. And that's pretty significant since you like to nitpick over wording.

SoulTrapper posted...
DX12 does not improve the hardware, though

I think you're confusing "improving" with "changing". Of course DX12 will not physically change the hardware, but it certainly will improve it by making it run more efficiently. I'm not sure why you're still splitting hairs over this, other than to cover up the fact that you were clearly wrong about DX12 "not changing anything."

SoulTrapper posted...
Posting more sources doesn't mean you are correct (especially not when half of them refer to the same article as their source).

Actually it does. One article I posted quoted another while making it's own separate points. The other 4 were perfectly valid, whether you want them to be or not. That makes me more correct.
#88Sin_Angelus_Posted 4/25/2014 1:22:47 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
Which was proven when I pointed out exactly where the biggest xbox hardware issues lie (the eSRAM) and you mysteriously disappeared from the topic.

You mean that same stuff you had been repeating the entire topic? Why would I respond to that again? I heard you out, and made a counter-argument showing the long-term benefits of ESRAM and how devs were starting to get used to it and even praise it. It's pointless to keep going back and forth when you literally posted the same link 3 times in separate posts. And you didn't make any new points or prove anything past your own opinion and speculation, so I let you keep talking and moved on.
#89macmahon187Posted 4/25/2014 1:49:05 PM
Dx12 helps off load throughput for multicored cpu's. These games are already being programmed to take advantage of the multicore procs in this generation of consoles. So pc users can see better performance with the load being spread more efficiently over all 4 to 8 cores. Don't expect anything significant to change.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#90macmahon187Posted 4/25/2014 1:57:02 PM
Ok after reading the thread let me just say that even if they squeezed 100% from the gpu it's still not a very powerful piece of hardware to begin with. So all the people clinging to this can cling and be let down again when all there games aren't keeping up in terms of fps or resolution. But then there will be threads about how that's not important again.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!