Why do people think DX12 will make a difference?

#21PorungaPosted 4/19/2014 8:56:13 PM
Ironman06 posted...
This troll post backfired. I'm even more excited for DirectX 12 now.

That's good, because you should. Just be realistic in your expectations. DX12 will be nothing but good for Xbox one, but it isn't a magic wand.
#22DeadLock25Posted 4/19/2014 9:08:15 PM
Porunga posted...
Ironman06 posted...

That's good, because you should. Just be realistic in your expectations. DX12 will be nothing but good for Xbox one, but it isn't a magic wand.

This.

Why do people think DX12 will make a difference? Because it will. That is a fact. Anyone who believes otherwise is being ignorant.

The question everyone should be concerned with is how much of a difference will it make? That all depends on the developers and how well they utilize the new tools, and of course even then it still depends on the game.

There is no way we will see any "doubling" of performance or anything near that scale. It will certainly help, even if its on a small scale, but I dont think MS has demonstrated (to gamers at least) how well those improvements (small or not) might translate to games
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244 || Pkmn Y IGN: Pasha || TSV: 2535 ||Friend Safari: Ghost: Phantump, Golurk, Lampent
#23DaLagga(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2014 9:11:06 PM
DeadLock25 posted...
Porunga posted...
Ironman06 posted...

This.

Why do people think DX12 will make a difference? Because it will. That is a fact. Anyone who believes otherwise is being ignorant.

The question everyone should be concerned with is how much of a difference will it make? That all depends on the developers and how well they utilize the new tools, and of course even then it still depends on the game.

There is no way we will see any "doubling" of performance or anything near that scale. It will certainly help, even if its on a small scale, but I dont think MS has demonstrated (to gamers at least) how well those improvements (small or not) might translate to games

That's pretty much what I said in my OP. DX12 probably will result in a small performance boost in certain games. But anyone familiar with directx history knows that the difference will almost certainly be marginal at best.
#24pearl arowanaPosted 4/19/2014 9:16:27 PM
Dx12 will allow xbone to download more ram. Possibly ddr6. Hopefully xbone will able to handle 1080p properly then.
---
OMG that the best cringed ever!!
ROFL
#25PorungaPosted 4/19/2014 9:16:59 PM
DaLagga posted...
DeadLock25 posted...
Porunga posted...
Ironman06 posted...

This.

That's pretty much what I said in my OP. DX12 probably will result in a small performance boost in certain games. But anyone familiar with directx history knows that the difference will almost certainly be marginal at best.

The performance increase will probably be more than "small" or "marginal", but to say that it will double the power of the system is not being realistic. As I said in my previous post that it will increase, maybe even double the efficiency of the hardware (best case scenario), but it will always be restricted to the hard limits of the hardware itself. The capabilities of the hardware are set and will never change, but you can get the most out of that hardware you can through optimization, and that is what DX12 will help make easier.
#26DaLagga(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2014 9:20:19 PM
Porunga posted...
The performance increase will probably be more than "small" or "marginal", but to say that it will double the power of the system is not being realistic. As I said in my previous post that it will increase, maybe even double the efficiency of the hardware (best case scenario), but it will always be restricted to the hard limits of the hardware itself. The capabilities of the hardware are set and will never change, but you can get the most out of that hardware you can through optimization, and that is what DX12 will help make easier.

Why would the improvements be more than small or marginal though? Every new directx version is supposed to be dramatically more efficient than the last, but they never bring about significant performance improvements. At best, you're looking at something like 5-10% in specific games and no improvement at all in others. I'm just wondering why people think DX12 will be any different when Microsoft has demonstrated that it greatly exaggerates (i.e. lies) about the performance benefits of new directx versions.
#27Dev445Posted 4/19/2014 9:22:19 PM
The real question is why you don't think it won't make difference TC? Everybody is doing guess work right now but nobody will really know until they show it off.
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
GT: ThatBoyNice247
#28DaLagga(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2014 9:25:32 PM
Dev445 posted...
The real question is why you don't think it won't make difference TC? Everybody is doing guess work right now but nobody will really know until they show it off.

I explained in detail why I don't think there will be much of a difference. Because with every new directx version, Microsoft hypes the hell out of it and it hardly matters. Frankly, the sooner directx dies the better. OpenGL is superior and best of all it isn't run by Microsoft.
#29PorungaPosted 4/19/2014 9:30:02 PM
DaLagga posted...
Porunga posted...

Why would the improvements be more than small or marginal though? Every new directx version is supposed to be dramatically more efficient than the last, but they never bring about significant performance improvements. At best, you're looking at something like 5-10% in specific games and no improvement at all in others. I'm just wondering why people think DX12 will be any different when Microsoft has demonstrated that it greatly exaggerates (i.e. lies) about the performance benefits of new directx versions.

The only reason I have a feeling that its performance gains will be noticeable is because a developer had said that currently, only 1 core of the xbox ones processor does DX work with DX11, but all 8 with DX12. If that is true, DX12 will allow far better processor utilization, allowing for noticeably increased performance. Is it going to be a HUGE difference? Impossible to say. Will it be "Double the power?" of course not, but it WILL help. But no matter how much performance it may or may not allow, the hardware limits are set. In this regard the PS4 will always be stronger because the hardware is stronger, and the PS4 also has the same kinds of hardware optimizations in its future.
#30Kovifan27Posted 4/19/2014 9:56:56 PM
MS has already stated they dropped in the mono driver that allowed them to code to the metal and it was 100% optimized for X1.

Direct X12 will not make any significant impact. At earliest I would assume you won't see anything until 2016 at the earliest and they hope must people will have forgot about this.