Is the GPU on XB1 really that bad?

#11snakes_codecPosted 4/20/2014 1:46:51 PM
Even by PC standards the 360 when it was released was cutting edge the XB1 isnt you can buy a $99 entrance level card that out performs the one inside the XB1.
#12godplaysSNESPosted 4/20/2014 2:50:22 PM(edited)
The GPU is significantly weaker than the PS4's, and neither have much horsepower compared to the high-end GPUs for PCs.

The ESRAM makes the Xbox One a bit more complicated than the PS4, but it's not that different from the 360's EDRAM, which almost every studio has experience with

snakes_codec posted...
Even by PC standards the 360 when it was released was cutting edge the XB1 isnt you can buy a $99 entrance level card that out performs the one inside the XB1.

The GPU was high-end, but the CPU and the 512MB total RAM weren't. The 512MB total RAM was low already at its release.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#13shamfuruPosted 4/20/2014 2:56:45 PM
DojoMax posted...
Garage_Man posted...
pigboy posted...
it is.

BBQMoosehead posted...
I hear people keep saying that XB1 has a weak GPS and no dedicated video ram. Is the hardware for it really that bad?

It is.

Xbone GPU is about 50% weaker raw power wise than the PS4 one by pure "number". Plus the Xbone also had to reserve 3-4% of GPU power for the Kinect w/ its already weaker GPU. Big M had to reduce the reserve from 10% due to the complaints of many developers for the Xbone is losing ground fast.

Another huge issue is that the PS4 memory, GDDR5, is so much faster and easy to use than the Xbone slow DDR3 memory + 32mb cache buffer ESRAM architecture. It make the development of the game so much more complicated.

It is why almost all multi-console games are looking so much better on PS4 than the Xbone.

I think it's gonna be really interesting to see that the PS4 can do once they unlock the power of GDDR5. It's still VERY new for a processor to use GDDR over standard DDR. AMD says there are huge gains to be had...I mean look at HSA and Mantle and what they can do...We could see the PS4 trounce the competition...then again maybe not.

HAHAHAAHA

I know right?

I have had "gaming grade," 5-core RAM in my PC for years. This isn't some arcane mystery unearthed from the fires of mordor.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#14jimm120Posted 4/20/2014 2:59:49 PM
I think of it liek PC video cards

are TOP teir cards (last year....)

Then a drop off to the

The 70 and 90 are the "real" cards that are actually powerful. The 50 card is an ok card but less than half the power of the "real cards". The 30 is just a bargain card.

The PS4 has a card like the 7950...still weakish but cheap and can run stuff.
The One has a card like the 7830...lower model than the PS4.

Moral of the story? Both cards suck. Just that we had to compromise for a slightly lower end card for Kinect.
---
Worthy Indie: Magicians & Looters -Breath Of Death -Cuthulu Saves The World -EvilQuest -Trino -Shoot 1UP -Your Doodles Are Bugged -Vintage Hero
#15ArkonBladePosted 4/20/2014 3:59:03 PM
richboy900 posted...
Yeah it is. It's only like what, a $100 gpu. It's a very low spec card. Isn't it something like a 7870?

In contrast, the 360 had a cutting edge gpu worth around $600 when it was new. Pc didn't get its equivalent until the following year. It was even more powerful than that used in the PS3.

not even. more like a 7770.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#16Newbie00Posted 4/20/2014 4:13:14 PM
richboy900 posted...
Yeah it is. It's only like what, a $100 gpu. It's a very low spec card. Isn't it something like a 7870?

In contrast, the 360 had a cutting edge gpu worth around $600 when it was new. Pc didn't get its equivalent until the following year. It was even more powerful than that used in the PS3.

what? this is nonsense. lol.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#17g7g7g7g7Posted 4/20/2014 4:28:54 PM
You can't compare it directly to AMD's 78/79 series cards, they are high performance, high power consumption, large form factor cards, it uses similar 7 series GCN cores but they are in the same configuration as AMD's 77 series cards, which are designed to be more efficient use less energy and create less heat. It is on a par with the 7790 series and that isn't a bad thing, its a decent GPU and should manage decent 1080p gaming, unfortunately its let down by the DDR3 RAM, If they had made a trade off and dumped the ESRAM and given the GPU 1GB of GDDR3, even 2 of GDDR3 would have made a big difference, MS is really going to pay for that mistake.

To be totally honest they should have used 4GB of DDR3 and left a slot empty but accessible so they could sell a decent upgrade in a years time when they are really in need.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#18pigboyPosted 4/20/2014 11:26:01 PM
Garage_Man posted...
pigboy posted...
it is.

BBQMoosehead posted...
I hear people keep saying that XB1 has a weak GPS and no dedicated video ram. Is the hardware for it really that bad?

It is.

Xbone GPU is about 50% weaker raw power wise than the PS4 one by pure "number". Plus the Xbone also had to reserve 3-4% of GPU power for the Kinect w/ its already weaker GPU. Big M had to reduce the reserve from 10% due to the complaints of many developers for the Xbone is losing ground fast.

Another huge issue is that the PS4 memory, GDDR5, is so much faster and easy to use than the Xbone slow DDR3 memory + 32mb cache buffer ESRAM architecture. It make the development of the game so much more complicated.

It is why almost all multi-console games are looking so much better on PS4 than the Xbone.

I think it's gonna be really interesting to see that the PS4 can do once they unlock the power of GDDR5. It's still VERY new for a processor to use GDDR over standard DDR. AMD says there are huge gains to be had...I mean look at HSA and Mantle and what they can do...We could see the PS4 trounce the competition...then again maybe not.

True, the AMD Mantle is a new technology and developers will need time to utilize it for the games. Based on what I read so far, the AMD Mantle is very promising. It will greatly improve the PS4 performance once all the developers learn to better utilize it.
#19ExDiosPosted 4/20/2014 11:53:03 PM
They cut back on the GPU, which is something important for a gaming console in order to put more TV features.
#20chubbychaserPosted 4/21/2014 1:59:10 AM
ExDios posted...
They cut back on the GPU, which is something important for a gaming console in order to put more TV features.

yeah. xbone is inferior for gaming but an ok tv thingie.
---
aaaHAA!! X800 XT PE