Is the GPU on XB1 really that bad?

#51RyzekiPosted 4/22/2014 12:52:44 PM
xHughJasx posted...
Enclave posted...
xHughJasx posted...
Slow ddr3? Give me a break. Even the best looking pc games out there only use 4gb of ddr3.

Incorrect actually. PCs have DDR3 on board RAM, average around 8GB now, though games tend to use 4-6GB of it. However you neglected to point out the GDDR5 RAM found on video cards that is dedicated to the video cards use. This tends to be around 2-4GB.

Or did you forget that video cards have built into them dedicated memory?

Consoles are used so so so differently to make games than pcs. Look at the last generation. We have amazing looking games that utilize less than A HALF of ONE gig of ram. The ps4 and Xbox one resolutions will even out as time goes on without a doubt.

Now speaking about your dedicated gpu ram for pcs? ? Again, my brothers gpu does not use gddr5 dedicated to his card. Mine does. We both can run tomb raider on ultra no problem. This gddr5 bs gets so overblown. I'm not saying it isn't better. But once Xbox devs figure out how to best utilize the system, it won't be a problem. The Xbox one is leaps and bounds more powerful than the 360. Thus 720p business won't last.

I know Sony boys don't like hearing that and I'm sorry. It's the truth.

Might I inquire which GPU does your brother use that can run tomb raider at such settings with "no problem"?

As a small reference, here is a small list of several GPUs from various tiers running the game at less than 1080p and ultimate quality.

Mind you, there is a difference between running a game, and actually be playable. You could always run "ultra" settings at 720p or such resolutions at acceptable levels. Which should give you a hint as to why greater memory bandwidth helps at higher resolutions.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/9/2013/03/ultimate_1680.png

As for the TCs original question: It depends up to what you are comparing it to. Against the original xbox? Xbox 360? Nope, the GPU is considerably more capable and strong all around.

Against average technology found today? Yeah, it is a lower tier card but can still play games just fine.

There is no need for dedicated video ram when you have complete dedicated memory pool by which both the GPU and the CPU can directly address and read data from.

Is it weaker than PS4's GPU? Yeah but mainly because they are for different tiers on performance. PS4's GPU has the same exact same capabilities, but it has many more resources to use. That's it.

Most of the time, the differences you will see will be reduced resolution, or lower settings compared to, but nothing earth shattering I guess. Depending on what the game in question is taxing, you might hardly notice a difference at all. But likewise, a game that completely uses the extra resources on PS4 will have a noticeable impact on Xbox One.
---
Core i7 4700MQ | | 16GB DDR3L || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX780M OC
#52uniquebadgerPosted 4/22/2014 12:58:15 PM
What they should do is just give us graphic sliders like they do in PC games and make it so we can swtich out the GPU, RAM, CPU as we see fit to do. They are already essentially computers anyways, just let us do this and we can all be happy.
#53Webmaster4531Posted 4/22/2014 1:05:10 PM
uniquebadger posted...
What they should do is just give us graphic sliders like they do in PC games and make it so we can swtich out the GPU, RAM, CPU as we see fit to do. They are already essentially computers anyways, just let us do this and we can all be happy.

Woah, they could put steam on it and call it a steam xbox.
---
Ad Hominem.
#54uniquebadgerPosted 4/22/2014 1:07:30 PM
Webmaster4531 posted...
uniquebadger posted...

True. I haven't really looked to much into steam box. But i like the eco system of the xbox and PS. I just don't see why we can't upgrade our own hardware and have sliders for games meant for console gaming.
#55RyzekiPosted 4/22/2014 1:34:17 PM
uniquebadger posted...
Webmaster4531 posted...
uniquebadger posted...

True. I haven't really looked to much into steam box. But i like the eco system of the xbox and PS. I just don't see why we can't upgrade our own hardware and have sliders for games meant for console gaming.

Most of the time because the game is not designed to scale with extra hardware. Not all games have this issue though.

Ever tried to run very old PC games on newer PCs? They run either at absurdly high speeds, often crashing, or simply crash due to the commands. That is sort of what happens when you program for specific hardware and then want to run it 1:1 on other type of hardware.

Obviously I am not saying it's impossible, simply that it will require a different approach. Which migth be easier if people embraced PCs, and PC developers learned to make the enviroment much more friendly to the users.

It is best if hardware is up to the user while the game up to the developers.
---
Core i7 4700MQ | | 16GB DDR3L || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX780M OC
#56manny13840Posted 4/22/2014 1:35:58 PM
damn apple maps
---
X1 GT: BeastIncarnat3
#57extankerPosted 4/22/2014 2:18:18 PM
uniquebadger posted...

The reason I left PC gaming is I got tired of messing with hardware configurations and tweaking settings to get the best performance. I don't want to deal with that on my consoles. I want to put the disc in and play a game. If you want a PC, get a PC.
#58jairusmonillasPosted 4/22/2014 2:48:51 PM
My Sig.
---
PS4 GPU: 1152 GCN, 2.00 TFLOPS, 72 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 8GB GDDR5
XB1 GPU :: 768 GCN, 1.31 TFLOPS, 48 TMUs, 16 ROPs, 8GB DDR3+eSRAM
#59garcia_jxPosted 4/22/2014 2:49:09 PM
All I know is that MS tried to be like Nintendo by making a weak system to cater to families with tv, sports, and gaming. Their studies were absolutely wrong. Gamers want gaming machines first...casuals buy what the majority buys . Gamers are buying ps4s, so casuals are buying ps4s.
#60chubbychaserPosted 4/22/2014 11:08:28 PM
jairusmonillas posted...

My Sig.
---
PS4 GPU: 1152 GCN, 2.00 TFLOPS, 72 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 8GB GDDR5
XB1 GPU :: 768 GCN, 1.31 TFLOPS, 48 TMUs, 16 ROPs, 8GB DDR3+eSRAM

xbone 720p-ed
---
aaaHAA!! X800 XT PE