so saying the cloud/dx 12 isnt a lie.....

#1FPS_hitmanPosted 4/20/2014 12:23:02 PM(edited)
Does that mean the game itself will depend on internet connection? Like will lag make the game 2 fps and video quality horrible? Will a packet loss cause it to freeze?

Games even now have lag issues without this added dimension or am I missing something?

And I'm guessing this will only impact exclusives as mulitplats won't be optimized for this.

Basically will shooters be impossible? Also what the Hell needs to happen to have lag free gaming? I got a 50 mb connection and still have some issues.
#2BoxTheMuppetPosted 4/20/2014 12:26:03 PM
Google fiber is coming to my area so I'm not too concerned but I game with people who don't always have the best connection. I assume they have taken that into consideration but you never know what the minimum bandwidth required will be.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#3Garage_ManPosted 4/20/2014 12:58:39 PM
Yes, that is exactly what it means. It will be for a specific type of game and used in very specific ways.

The thing that is going to kill this whole idea is ping times. NOT bandwidth. If someone went onto youtube at your house while you are playing it could have detrimental effects because your ping could go up.

My ping for example varies between 40ms and 200ms when the network is loaded with 10 devices (all the time) so something like this just won't work for me. When everyone is online at once browsing the web becomes slower, I couldn't imagine cloud processing.
#4FPS_hitman(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 1:27:53 PM
So I guess there will have to be minimum internet specs listed on the box so you know if the game will work for certain people?

Thank god ATT is starting a 300 mb up and down service here soon.
#5crynryanPosted 4/20/2014 2:49:45 PM(edited)
FPS_hitman posted...
Does that mean the game itself will depend on internet connection? Like will lag make the game 2 fps and video quality horrible? Will a packet loss cause it to freeze?

Games even now have lag issues without this added dimension or am I missing something?

Basically will shooters be impossible? Also what the Hell needs to happen to have lag free gaming? I got a 50 mb connection and still have some issues.

Only when playing multiplayer. Single player games will not be made to rely on the cloud, unless you want to lose the ability to play offline. Does lag make current games run at 2 frames bad video quality? No. Does packet loss cause current games to freeze? No. Packet loss causes hiccups, not crashes.

Read this: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking . Will give you a better understanding on how games are networked.

No. Nothing, as it can't happen. Unless you play on LAN. Connection speed does nothing to determine connection quality after a few megabits.

All of your concerns are invalid since games already work this way, and they've been proven to work well enough. All of the Unreal Engine games work the same way that Source games do, Halo's campaign is really the only exception because they use lock-step which adds input delay if you aren't host.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#6FPS_hitman(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 2:53:47 PM(edited)
So then the cloud is only for improving online mp graphics? Or AI for a game like titanfall.

I'm just trying to see what the true expectations of it can be.
#7crynryanPosted 4/20/2014 3:02:56 PM
One big difference that we will start to see with games that use the cloud as a dedicated server, is that your game doesn't need to reserve memory or CPU time in order to run a server. With games like COD and Gears and Halo letting you be a host, that game has to reserve a certain amount of memory and processing time just in case you were chosen as host. If they didn't, host migration couldn't happen, and it wouldn't be fair to have host's game look worse than yours.

But since games don't really need that anymore, they can push the system to its limits in order to get as much out of it as they can. Titanfall's AI couldn't have happened without the cloud, as the console couldn't run all the bots at the same time.

Forza's Drivatars couldn't happen either, since your console would constantly be getting tons of data about each driver, and then would need to figure out what to do with that data. Instead, the cloud just sends data about what each car is currently doing, thus freeing up tons of data and processing time your console could then use to make the game better.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#8PoweredMilkManPosted 4/20/2014 3:06:31 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
Google fiber is coming to my area so I'm not too concerned but I game with people who don't always have the best connection. I assume they have taken that into consideration but you never know what the minimum bandwidth required will be.

Ugh I wish google fiber was here
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU/Steam - bloodandbourbon
#9FPS_hitman(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 3:12:13 PM
Thanks for the link by the way. Never read anything on the subject despite being a huge FPS fan. Now it makes perfect sense why I die even after I ran behind cover. It's lag but it's still a legit kill.
#10N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 4/20/2014 3:12:14 PM
FPS_hitman posted...

And I'm guessing this will only impact exclusives as mulitplats won't be optimized for this.

Yeah, like you said, multiplats more than likely won't be optimized to use the cloud, DX12 will help any game really (will especially make porting games to/from PC much easier, and should allow them to better optimize the games for better frame rates and resolutions).

Also depending on what type of things they're using server side processing for will be a huge part of whether or not ping will matter. Nvidia showed server side gpu rendering of a real-time light source, and the lighting looked great all the way up to 3-400ms. Once it passed that, the light noticeable lagged behind the light source. But MS has CPUs on their servers, not GPUs, so expect things like basic calculations for extra characters on screen, non interactive physics sims, large open, sprawling environments. Actual graphics won't be rendered.

That being said, obviously the games using it would need to be connected to the internet, but no developer would make the game so that a little lag would break the game, or ruin the gameplay. A lot of lag however, would be a different story, and as someone mentioned, I'm almost positive they would specify a minimum allowed internet connection, as to not screw over their customers.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5