Hate it or love it, Kinect was a GOOD move by MS

#1MrImpatient35Posted 4/20/2014 6:24:07 PM
This article touches on a few of the reasons why I always thought that mandatory inclusion of Kinect was a good idea. Here it is: http://ejectulate.com/why-we-should-praise-the-mandatory-kinect/

"The Xbox One making Kinect 2.0 mandatory when purchasing the console was always going to annoy the masses, but is there logic behind Microsoft's most heckled move?

The Kinect is an intelligent piece of kit which further advances on the technology shown in the 360 version and thereís no denying that the optional Playstation camera is not a match in terms of power or functionality. I believe Microsoft has a vision of gaming in the future, which will most likely include some movement based controls regardless of what genre game you should be playing. I fail to see how this is not a good move, with obesity higher than ever before. Obesity is especially prevalent among the young and this is a step towards a future which moves away from the couch potato culture we see today. More games should take embrace this ideology, not only would it promote a healthier lifestyle with the same end reward, but it will also mean parents will approve more of videogames and they will naturally appeal to a much wider audience.

If the Kinect was made as an optional extra then there would be no real incentive for people (regardless of weight) to buy one unless they take a genuine interest in dance games. The Kinect will be integrated into the console user experience increasingly over the next few years and whilst some hardcore players may not wish to let go of the traditional control pad I feel itís only a matter of time before we shift away from the boundaries and limitations of the old style control pad. If indeed Kinect/motion sensor gaming is nothing more than a camera then I fail to see the logic behind Sony imitating the Kinect, even it isnít bundled with the hardware. You can bet your bottom dollar that Sony has only made the camera to act as a safeguard incase Kinect based games see a surge in sales (which seems unlikely as of this moment in time, but still).

The current state of the Kinect is one of untapped potential. The huge success of the Wii shows demand is not only there, but also that their is a huge share of the market which is ready to embrace the future of motion based gaming. Recent releases like Kinect Sports Rivals have shown us that Xbox One users are willing to embrace the future of gaming, with relatively high sales in its first week on sale. Similar releases should follow, although perhaps it was a poor move to not include a Kinect based game with the console at launch. Obviously the Kinect 2.0 does a lot more than act as a controller, infact most of itís early use has been for navigation purposes which it does excellently. It gives the user the ability to multi-task with greater ease, which is essentially what the Xbox One is designed for and what sets it apart from the PS4.

The Kinect promotes innovation more so than anything we have seen with the PS4 and although it may take time to persuade the average gamer that itís a worthwhile addition, it seems Microsoft is playing the long game this time round.

I would've agreed with this article 5 months ago. I tried to imply the part about obesity before release, but never really explicitly said it. As of right now, I love Kinect, for stuff not related to gaming, but I DEFINITELY can imagine it being popular in the near future. Especially in horror games.
---
FML
#2MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 6:32:39 PM
Even before X1 was released, I was excited for Xbox Fitness. Some of my family members could "lose a few", but I can't think of any other way I could get them to exercise other than that. I wanted to use it myself, but with all my weights, it's difficult to use unless I pause a lot.

My friends use voice commands on it all the time. Especially on Titanfall, to record the stuff they do in that game. I'm not so good, so I never use it lol.
---
FML
#3That_Damn_KidPosted 4/20/2014 6:35:51 PM
I'm not reading all of that s***. It is not the future.
---
I'm not a kid, I just act like one
GT: ITS DAT DAM KID --- PSN: Lamburghini89///PS4, X1, Wii U, 360, 3DS
#4aheroafakePosted 4/20/2014 6:40:22 PM
Their =/= there.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#5MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 6:45:46 PM
That_Damn_Kid posted...

Of course you're not lmao. I would expect the majority of people to not read it and still spew their Kinect hatred. I'll be fine if 2 people actually read it though lol. Pretty much sums up why I think Kinect will be great in the long run.
---
FML
#6Tyronelio1Posted 4/20/2014 6:48:21 PM
Thanks for the read tc, it was good and I agree.
---
Welcome to Sonyfaqs.com, where the mods cry at any opinion that's not their own.
#7OUberLordPosted 4/20/2014 6:50:12 PM
The problem is they need to start actually making good on the promise. Yes, its a powerful piece of tech, but most games use it for voice commands that are glorified button presses. The ones that don't are your standard assortment of dance / fitness games that we got the same of last gen, and a sports game (that incidentally suffers from the same FoV issues that Kinect 1 had).

Microsoft has had a year since last E3 to drum up support for the Kinect, and other than Fantasia what is coming down the pipe for it? This E3 will be incredibly important for the Kinect. As much as I'd hate to see a fractured market by removing it from being bundle there simply needs to be more games that actually use it to justify its existence.
#8DarthUchiha91Posted 4/20/2014 7:01:45 PM
So the reason why the kinect being mandatory is a good idea, because :

1. W-well, its better than that stupid playstation eye, so there!

2. The wii did it, and was popular. Why can't we?

3. Don't worry, in an unforeseeable future, the true power of the kinect will be revealed. Greatness awaits! (^_^)

4. Controllers and couch potatoes are played out. Time to get off y'all fat asses and get with the times man!

Good to know.
---
" I don't see the difference between 1080p and 792p"- Ray Charles
#9Mr_KillstreakPosted 4/20/2014 7:03:49 PM
MrImpatient35 posted...
That_Damn_Kid posted...

Of course you're not lmao. I would expect the majority of people to not read it and still spew their Kinect hatred. I'll be fine if 2 people actually read it though lol. Pretty much sums up why I think Kinect will be great in the long run.

I read it and still hate Kinect.
#10MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 7:03:52 PM
OUberLord posted...
The problem is they need to start actually making good on the promise. Yes, its a powerful piece of tech, but most games use it for voice commands that are glorified button presses. The ones that don't are your standard assortment of dance / fitness games that we got the same of last gen, and a sports game (that incidentally suffers from the same FoV issues that Kinect 1 had).

Microsoft has had a year since last E3 to drum up support for the Kinect, and other than Fantasia what is coming down the pipe for it? This E3 will be incredibly important for the Kinect. As much as I'd hate to see a fractured market by removing it from being bundle there simply needs to be more games that actually use it to justify its existence.

True. There isn't many games that make Kinect seem AWESOME at the moment, but I wouldn't doubt that they'll come out in the future. Like the article said, MS is playing the long game. I initially thought that D4 would be the "killer app" for Kinect, but I'm not so sure anymore. Haven't heard or seen anything on that game in a while.

What this article didn't mention, could be its own separate article. It's not popular right now, but I think companion apps will be a lot more common on games. I know there's one in Watch Dogs, The Division, and I believe MGS GZ. I think that'll be a very useful addition to games in the future.

I don't know how likely this is to happen, but a game using both Kinect and a companion app would be awesome. I think they'll try to innovate gaming into more than just playing on your controller/gamepad. I've seen articles about how gaming, as a whole, is getting very predictive and stale. Nothing new coming out. Well, with Kinect motion controls, companion apps, etc, I think there will be plenty innovation in the future. That's prolly why VR is so popular lately.
---
FML