Hate it or love it, Kinect was a GOOD move by MS

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Hate it or love it, Kinect was a GOOD move by MS
1 year ago#101
No no it wasn't.
1 year ago#102
Ejectulate.com

No thanks.
---
3DS FC: JMO 0834-1793-8249
1 year ago#103
tadmfpole posted...
billsfanno1 posted...
If MS wants to tie Kinect to the success/failure of Xbox, that's their decision and clearly it is hurting them at the moment. I personally am a fan of Kinect and enjoyed many of the Kinect games on X360. But I also can't deny that MS has done a poor job of justifying Kinect's inclusion with X1 to the mass market:

- The only native Kinect games available at launch were Just Dance and a jetski demo for Kinect Sports. Five months later the only thing that has changed is we now have the full version of Kinect Sports Rivals, which is a great game but the approach taken with the tutorial will only frustrate casuals who are most likely to be the ones that enjoy Kinect.
- Basic gestures were changed for Kinect 2.0 and poorly documented -- used to be you waved to get it's attention, now you raise a hand up; used to be you held your right arm at the side and left arm at an angle to pause a game, now I'm guessing you do it via voice control -- nothing packed in with the X1 tells you about this and the Kinect tutorial is buried in the GUI. It was a very frustrating learning curve.
- Kinect needs to be properly calibrated to work optimally with voice controls, many customers won't know to do this.
- Kinect voice controls require a quiet room. I had company this weekend and it could only pick up on around 10% of the voice commands people threw at it. I'm not going to tell everyone to hush so that I can tell X1 to change the channel.
- Kinect does very poorly with female voices in my experience. My wife and daughter are running <50% accuracy with it, whereas with my son and I it's more commonly around 90%.

MS needs to stop relying on third party developers to make the case for justifying Kinect. If they believe in it so much, they need to show why it is such a great device. What they have done to date is not cutting it.

This should be a sticky at the top of this board.

X2
1 year ago#104
Ive still yet to use my Kinect for any actual motion based gestures, let alone a motion game. That being said...I LOVE the voice control. Works great for me since the time I hooked it up, and I use it all the time
---
Insert witty statement here
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Hate it or love it, Kinect was a GOOD move by MS

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived