Hate it or love it, Kinect was a GOOD move by MS

#61mike468Posted 4/21/2014 5:37:44 AM
aheroafake posted...

No, you don't. Games on the original Xbox had voice command features that were utilized by an Xbox Live headset, or pretty much any headset that used the same microphone connector. I don't know the correct term for it but I'm sure people will know what I'm talking about.

Having a mic either attached to or built into the controller is far different and limiting than kinect. Even though the system is in sleep mode, the controller is still off. There is no way of having a peripheral in sleep mode (save for maybe a cell phone). The batteries on the controller would drain incredibly quickly if you have the controller in a persistent low power state to use mic. There is a reason the kinect is attached to the system to use the same AC power supply.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#62GigerSupremePosted 4/21/2014 5:44:41 AM
none of these are good reasons.

kinect is still as useless as it ever was. sony and nintendo were smart to abandon the motion control trend.

kinect takes up extra ram (which is why multiplat games are continuously faring worse than the ps4)

and makes the console cost 100 dollars more.

and stifled their game development.

if anything, kinect was the worst thing to ever happen to msoft.
#63MRL3G3NDPosted 4/21/2014 6:07:59 AM
lmao
IT DOES NOT WORK
TEHY HAVE NEVER MADE IT WORK...
THEY CONTINUE TO FAIL AT PROVING WHY ITS WORTH ANYTHING

Those are the facts..everything that dude wrote in the article is speculation and hope "I believe blah blah blah" talk is cheap...I go by what is real, and by the way things are right now...the fact is that they failed to prove why the consumer needs a Kinect...

The real reason they made everybody buy it because they needed a sizable fanbase with it to pitch NuADs to advertisers.

if you don't provide a reason to own a Kinect...no one will buy it... then they couldn't go to advertisers and say..."Your ads will reach 3.5 million people with kinects in their living rooms"

that is the plain ole truth...no speculation

But this is textbook Microsoft... they design something that benefits them, regardless of how unpractical it is to the consumer... then they try to convince you it is worth the purchase...

zune...win8 lol
---
WU-TANG vs BF4
http://youtu.be/TVmvMvJ67zo
#64HyzinBurgPosted 4/21/2014 6:14:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#65spacejamjordanzPosted 4/21/2014 6:46:37 AM
mike468 posted...
aheroafake posted...

No, you don't. Games on the original Xbox had voice command features that were utilized by an Xbox Live headset, or pretty much any headset that used the same microphone connector. I don't know the correct term for it but I'm sure people will know what I'm talking about.

Having a mic either attached to or built into the controller is far different and limiting than kinect. Even though the system is in sleep mode, the controller is still off. There is no way of having a peripheral in sleep mode (save for maybe a cell phone). The batteries on the controller would drain incredibly quickly if you have the controller in a persistent low power state to use mic. There is a reason the kinect is attached to the system to use the same AC power supply.

The only thing we would be missing out on is the ability to say "Xbox On". God whatever will I do without such innovation.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#66youngskillzPosted 4/21/2014 6:46:45 AM
horrible move, nobody likes things shoved down their throat.

well chicks...but that's a different story.
---
Metal Bands OTM -- Arch Enemy, Eye of the Enemy, Exhortation, Mechanical God Creation, Fractal Gates, Wolfheart, Destinity, Neptune, Isolated.
#67aheroafakePosted 4/21/2014 7:06:51 AM
spacejamjordanz posted...
mike468 posted...
aheroafake posted...

The only thing we would be missing out on is the ability to say "Xbox On". God whatever will I do without such innovation.

Agreed. And Mike, even then, it's not that innovative. Goodness, why won't people just drop that argument already?
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#68-FryShakeWad-Posted 4/21/2014 7:19:31 AM(edited)
The Kinect is great. Makes games more accessible to the handicapped, cool voice features lots of stuff to like about it.

Most kids don't get it, but I appreciate a console this "futuristic" and only could dream about it when I was gaming as a child. Kids these days don't know how good they have it.
---
I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the Ultimate Warrior fans. And the spirit of The Ultimate Warrior will run forever! - James Brian Hellwig (R.I.P)
#69Getstew2Posted 4/21/2014 8:32:24 AM
I completely disagree. This "great idea" is one of the main reasons MS is losing to Sony currently (price point). They will have to abandon mandatory inclusion and drop the price to stay in the game.
---
Stew
Total Babble Podcast
#70aheroafakePosted 4/21/2014 8:51:38 AM
-FryShakeWad- posted...
The Kinect is great. Makes games more accessible to the handicapped, cool voice features lots of stuff to like about it.

Most kids don't get it, but I appreciate a console this "futuristic" and only could dream about it when I was gaming as a child. Kids these days don't know how good they have it.

So just because some people "don't get it" means they're kids?
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |