Hate it or love it, Kinect was a GOOD move by MS

#71billsfanno1Posted 4/21/2014 9:55:38 AM
If MS wants to tie Kinect to the success/failure of Xbox, that's their decision and clearly it is hurting them at the moment. I personally am a fan of Kinect and enjoyed many of the Kinect games on X360. But I also can't deny that MS has done a poor job of justifying Kinect's inclusion with X1 to the mass market:

- The only native Kinect games available at launch were Just Dance and a jetski demo for Kinect Sports. Five months later the only thing that has changed is we now have the full version of Kinect Sports Rivals, which is a great game but the approach taken with the tutorial will only frustrate casuals who are most likely to be the ones that enjoy Kinect.
- Basic gestures were changed for Kinect 2.0 and poorly documented -- used to be you waved to get it's attention, now you raise a hand up; used to be you held your right arm at the side and left arm at an angle to pause a game, now I'm guessing you do it via voice control -- nothing packed in with the X1 tells you about this and the Kinect tutorial is buried in the GUI. It was a very frustrating learning curve.
- Kinect needs to be properly calibrated to work optimally with voice controls, many customers won't know to do this.
- Kinect voice controls require a quiet room. I had company this weekend and it could only pick up on around 10% of the voice commands people threw at it. I'm not going to tell everyone to hush so that I can tell X1 to change the channel.
- Kinect does very poorly with female voices in my experience. My wife and daughter are running <50% accuracy with it, whereas with my son and I it's more commonly around 90%.

MS needs to stop relying on third party developers to make the case for justifying Kinect. If they believe in it so much, they need to show why it is such a great device. What they have done to date is not cutting it.
#72aheroafakePosted 4/21/2014 10:18:55 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
If MS wants to tie Kinect to the success/failure of Xbox, that's their decision and clearly it is hurting them at the moment. I personally am a fan of Kinect and enjoyed many of the Kinect games on X360. But I also can't deny that MS has done a poor job of justifying Kinect's inclusion with X1 to the mass market:

- The only native Kinect games available at launch were Just Dance and a jetski demo for Kinect Sports. Five months later the only thing that has changed is we now have the full version of Kinect Sports Rivals, which is a great game but the approach taken with the tutorial will only frustrate casuals who are most likely to be the ones that enjoy Kinect.
- Basic gestures were changed for Kinect 2.0 and poorly documented -- used to be you waved to get it's attention, now you raise a hand up; used to be you held your right arm at the side and left arm at an angle to pause a game, now I'm guessing you do it via voice control -- nothing packed in with the X1 tells you about this and the Kinect tutorial is buried in the GUI. It was a very frustrating learning curve.
- Kinect needs to be properly calibrated to work optimally with voice controls, many customers won't know to do this.
- Kinect voice controls require a quiet room. I had company this weekend and it could only pick up on around 10% of the voice commands people threw at it. I'm not going to tell everyone to hush so that I can tell X1 to change the channel.
- Kinect does very poorly with female voices in my experience. My wife and daughter are running <50% accuracy with it, whereas with my son and I it's more commonly around 90%.

MS needs to stop relying on third party developers to make the case for justifying Kinect. If they believe in it so much, they need to show why it is such a great device. What they have done to date is not cutting it.

Very well said.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#73dnmtPosted 4/21/2014 10:21:27 AM
Potential means nothing when a) it doesn't fulfill itself and b) it doesn't sell.
#74spacejamjordanzPosted 4/21/2014 10:23:31 AM
billsfanno1 posted...

You forgot to drop the mic followed by the dramatic exit, because you just nailed it.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#75Ramsus082Posted 4/21/2014 1:09:45 PM
Kinect isn't just the future, it's the present, and at present there is not a single worthwhile app for it, let alone one that justifies it's forced inclusion. Because of Kinect, the X1 was priced more than it's competition and is probably the chief reason why it's not a successful console.

Was it worth it?
---
"Exclusives MIGHT look better on the PS4. Multiplatform games will look identical." - You
#76blacklabelicePosted 4/21/2014 1:19:03 PM
i aint reading that wall of derp

kinect is an unncessary gimmick that you are forced to pay for and does nothing at all to enhance video games. the only reason to ever need one is if you are physically handicapped, or too god damn lazy to reach for a remote control or a controller which is probably an arms reach away anyways as you stuff your fat face full of cheesy poofs.

a huge wall of an ass kissing article isnt going to change the fact that most gamers dont care for that gimmick but still are forced to pay full price for it if they want to play their games on an xbone.
#77EJH-SEGAPosted 4/21/2014 2:24:21 PM
I love Kinect and Kinect Sports Rivals

To the arguments "it's just lazy", I could see that for voice controls, but motion controls involve more moving

The Kinect helping someone with a disability is a double edged sword. While the voice commands would help, the motion controls could possibly complicate things further and a lot of Kinect games encourage standing up.

To the person that says "Wii Sports > than any Kinect game", have you played KSR (especially bowling).
---
XBL GT is SE6A K1N6 (those are the number "6" not the letter "G" and that is the the number "1" not the letter "I")
#78NSGraphitePosted 4/21/2014 3:07:00 PM
Not just wii sports, but sony's sports chamion is better too.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#79ImThe8thWonderPosted 4/21/2014 3:14:49 PM
Lol I couldn't disagree more
---
PS4~XB1~PS3~XB360~PS2~PS1~PS Vita~Wii~Wii U~DS~3DS~Super NES~N64~PC
Not everyone with a difference of opinion or that offers criticisms is a troll.
#80ImThe8thWonderPosted 4/21/2014 3:15:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]