Hate it or love it, Kinect was a GOOD move by MS

#91quincy2000aPosted 4/21/2014 7:05:42 PM
WartPig_ posted...
...and it seems i am a ghost as the motion tracking just cant see me...(to be even more fair, almost any motion detection things dont work for me. store doors, auto sinks, toilets, hand dryers, etc) idk whats up with that. :/

Can...you...see...dead people?
---
http://www.thehdstandard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/720p-vs-1080p.png
#92tadmfpolePosted 4/22/2014 2:45:49 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
If MS wants to tie Kinect to the success/failure of Xbox, that's their decision and clearly it is hurting them at the moment. I personally am a fan of Kinect and enjoyed many of the Kinect games on X360. But I also can't deny that MS has done a poor job of justifying Kinect's inclusion with X1 to the mass market:

- The only native Kinect games available at launch were Just Dance and a jetski demo for Kinect Sports. Five months later the only thing that has changed is we now have the full version of Kinect Sports Rivals, which is a great game but the approach taken with the tutorial will only frustrate casuals who are most likely to be the ones that enjoy Kinect.
- Basic gestures were changed for Kinect 2.0 and poorly documented -- used to be you waved to get it's attention, now you raise a hand up; used to be you held your right arm at the side and left arm at an angle to pause a game, now I'm guessing you do it via voice control -- nothing packed in with the X1 tells you about this and the Kinect tutorial is buried in the GUI. It was a very frustrating learning curve.
- Kinect needs to be properly calibrated to work optimally with voice controls, many customers won't know to do this.
- Kinect voice controls require a quiet room. I had company this weekend and it could only pick up on around 10% of the voice commands people threw at it. I'm not going to tell everyone to hush so that I can tell X1 to change the channel.
- Kinect does very poorly with female voices in my experience. My wife and daughter are running <50% accuracy with it, whereas with my son and I it's more commonly around 90%.

MS needs to stop relying on third party developers to make the case for justifying Kinect. If they believe in it so much, they need to show why it is such a great device. What they have done to date is not cutting it.

This should be a sticky at the top of this board.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned
#93CrysianiaPosted 4/22/2014 4:47:52 AM
Kinda dumb suggesting kinect camera is the future when we possibly have virtual reality headsets not far off.
#94OUberLordPosted 4/22/2014 9:27:04 AM
Crysiania posted...
Kinda dumb suggesting kinect camera is the future when we possibly have virtual reality headsets not far off.

To be fair, what the Kinect does (whole body motion tracking) is a lot different than what VR headsets do.
#95EJH-SEGAPosted 4/22/2014 12:28:23 PM
OUberLord posted...
Crysiania posted...

To be fair, what the Kinect does (whole body motion tracking) is a lot different than what VR headsets do.

Whole body motion tracking is need for VR headsets to work.
---
XBL GT is SE6A K1N6 (those are the number "6" not the letter "G" and that is the the number "1" not the letter "I")
#96OUberLordPosted 4/22/2014 12:37:48 PM
EJH-SEGA posted...
OUberLord posted...
Crysiania posted...

Whole body motion tracking is need for VR headsets to work.

The Oculus Rift doesn't need it, and Sony's Morpheus doesn't either.
#97EJH-SEGAPosted 4/22/2014 12:51:28 PM
spacejamjordanz posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/69060259

From your post it seems you like the selection of Wii Sports better. To an extent I agree with you. I hope KSR gets baseball and boxing (as long as they can be played sitting down); however, I feel Wake Racing is the best in KSR trumps any Wii Sports selection. To me, bowling and tennis perform better and more realistic in KSR. Wall climbing is a blast. Target shooting is acceptable at best. Never played soccer (skipped it in story mode).
---
XBL GT is SE6A K1N6 (those are the number "6" not the letter "G" and that is the the number "1" not the letter "I")
#98il_capitanoPosted 4/22/2014 1:16:40 PM
Good move? More like a suicide move at that price and right after the NSA scandal.
---
Farewell MGO, the first love will never be forgotten. 06/12/12
#99Lord_Ka1nPosted 4/22/2014 2:16:26 PM
Motion controls will never replace buttons. And some sh**** kinect games will not get fat people to exercise.
---
PSN - Lord_Ka1n
3DS FC - 2680-9921-1203 - Feel free to add, pm me so i can get you back
#100EJH-SEGAPosted 4/22/2014 6:28:51 PM(edited)
OUberLord
The Oculus Rift doesn't need it, and Sony's Morpheus doesn't either.

Both those units have cameras and IR receivers for when the player turns around. Kinect would be used for MS VR.
---