Who do you want to win the console war?

#21cheezedadadaPosted 4/21/2014 3:06:56 PM(edited)
I think its the wording of this thread that is throwing people off (or the lack of a few qualifying words). My answer is in regards to the long term game and doesn't apply to a single generation. Having losers (like Aceviper said) makes them strive to do better, so its definitely healthy. Since this gen wasn't specified, my answer was pointed at the long haul. It's fine if we rotate winners and losers each gen, but overall I wouldn't any company to be a clear winner no matter what. I want as much strong competition as possible.

So choosing a winner for this gen doesn't sound crazy to me. Its choosing a permanent winner that does.
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and everything else.
#22synePosted 4/21/2014 3:08:36 PM
There has to be a winner. That's what competitions are, geniuses.
#23kyncaniPosted 4/21/2014 3:11:52 PM
cheezedadada posted...
I think its the wording of this thread that is throwing people off (or the lack of a few qualifying words). My answer is in regards to the long term game and doesn't apply to a single generation. Having losers (like Aceviper said) makes them strive to do better, so its definitely healthy. Since this gen wasn't specified, my answer was pointed at the long haul. It's fine if we rotate winners and losers each gen, but overall I wouldn't any company to be a clear winner no matter what. I want as much strong competition as possible.

So choosing a winner for this gen doesn't sound crazy to me. Its choosing a permanent winner that does.

Better then.

Because the whole "if two console makers drop out, then there is no competition" is ... just not what happens.

Twenty years ago we had only Nintendo and Sega. Sega Dropped out. Now we do not have just one console makers but *three*.

If two out of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo stop producing consoles, we'll just have Google, Apple, Amazon, Samsung or whoever else make video game devices as well.
Not a monopoly.
#24RedFive3Posted 4/21/2014 3:19:35 PM
This poll proves Sony fanboys are the worst.
---
I'm your huckleberry...
You spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
#25cheezedadadaPosted 4/21/2014 3:25:48 PM
kyncani posted...
cheezedadada posted...

Better then.

Because the whole "if two console makers drop out, then there is no competition" is ... just not what happens.

Twenty years ago we had only Nintendo and Sega. Sega Dropped out. Now we do not have just one console makers but *three*.

If two out of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo stop producing consoles, we'll just have Google, Apple, Amazon, Samsung or whoever else make video game devices as well.
Not a monopoly.

I think mostly everyone here pretty much agrees with those points, but it seems everyone is interpreting the title differently. The way its worded makes it look long term since it assumes the competition is over and someone won the "war" entirely. (I really hate calling it the war.)
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and everything else.
#26PominAusPosted 4/21/2014 3:37:39 PM
Garage_Man posted...
Sony because I am not stupid enough to believe that competition is always good for the consumer. The only people I see that really believe that are generally poor and want cheaper stuff all the time.

The reason gaming is in such a crap state..it is don't lie to yourself..is because MS and Sony were tied basically. Instead of developers setting down on a single console to make amazing games they instead had to optimize for all these different systems which took away from each of the games.

Say whatever you want but competition in THIS market is of zero good. Especially when it comes to the games. We are getting farther and farther away from what made games games a decade or two ago.

I respect your opinion but I will disagree with it. If Sony had no competition they would very likely still be selling proprietary memory cards, remember that it wasn't until Xbox had an HDD that Sony incorporated one also.

Ps+ would likely not exist (at least not the same quality you have today), cost of subscriptions would go up and Sony would be price gouging the living hell out of its consumers as they did when they dominated Walkmans and then portable CD players.

Hardware upgrades would happen far less frequently and I'd bet my bottom dollar they'd still be using complicated architecture in their platforms.

Competition is important in this industry as both companies one up each other with services and feature sets.
#27MuryoPosted 4/21/2014 3:48:42 PM
reincarnator07 posted...
Nintendo, just because I love their franchises the most. However, them winning doesn't mean the other companies totally fail. The other console manufacturers (minus Sega) seemed to survive alright against the PS1/PS2's domination.

This, plus Nintendo IS NOT SCREWING their fans with terrible busisness tactics, lies, dlc abuse, insults, etc.
---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken
#28regsantotomasPosted 4/21/2014 3:52:57 PM
As a side note, I think that it is a fallacy to presume that there could only be one winner here. Ultimately, it's about being successful and that doesn't necessarily translate to selling the most units or even the most games. For gamers, as long as they have the games that they want to play, they have already won.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#29Garage_ManPosted 4/21/2014 4:05:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#30Mindwipe77Posted 4/21/2014 4:07:29 PM
RedFive3 posted...
This poll proves Sony fanboys are the worst.

you haven't been around many xbox fanboys then, unless you are one yourself idk
---
Proud owner of X1,PS4 and Wii U, I pity childish fanboys
"All the significant breakthroughs were breaks with old ways of thinking."