Is it strange that I find buying games more fun than playing them?

#1steveo0209Posted 4/22/2014 2:43:05 AM
I've noticed lately that I don't have that much time to play games. With my university course coming to an end, I have been so busy over the past few months and haven't had time to play games as much :(

However, I have still bought/rented as many games as I usually do. I get some sort of rush going out to the shops and looking for games to buy. The thought of buying them is great, and sometimes I've even bought a game, when I know I probably won't even enjoy it.

Is this crazy?
#2TheGam3925Posted 4/22/2014 2:49:47 AM(edited)
steveo0209 posted...
I've noticed lately that I don't have that much time to play games. With my university course coming to an end, I have been so busy over the past few months and haven't had time to play games as much :(

However, I have still bought/rented as many games as I usually do. I get some sort of rush going out to the shops and looking for games to buy. The thought of buying them is great, and sometimes I've even bought a game, when I know I probably won't even enjoy it.

Is this crazy?

Are you suffering from anxiety or depression? Some people take pleasure in shopping for things, not just video games. But they are left with an empty feeling afterwards.

https://www.hopetocope.com/Item.aspx/618/buying-trouble

---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#3Nights2KPosted 4/22/2014 2:47:37 AM
Ino how you feel mate, I work full time, 9-6 Monday-Friday I get about 3 hours of solid gaming a night that's if I'm not tired from work,

Example: titanfall, I was super excited I went midnight realise, really happy to get the game, went home and played it non stop for a week, and.now I feel was it worth a midnight trip. Same with every other game I get hyped up over ill buy a 100 pound limited edition and then I feel it's a waste after, a few months when I get hooked onto another game
#4steveo0209(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 2:51:43 AM
Nah, no depression. I don't feel empty afterwards or anything like that. I just don't have time to play them.

I enjoy the idea of playing them, and I do enjoy them when I have the chance. I think it is more that the lifestyle that I'm forced to live the now results in me enjoying the purchasing but stops from from enjoying playing them.
#5TheGam3925Posted 4/22/2014 2:56:47 AM
steveo0209 posted...
Nah, no depression. I don't feel empty afterwards or anything like that. I just don't have time to play them.

I enjoy the idea of playing them, and I do enjoy them when I have the chance. I think it is more that the lifestyle that I'm forced to live the now results in me enjoying the purchasing but stops from from enjoying playing them.

Well you said "I've even bought a game, when I know I probably won't even enjoy it." It just sounds a little like compulsive shopping to me.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#6bartz90Posted 4/22/2014 3:00:41 AM
It's pretty common actually. I buy games I don't play for months or maybe years later due to having no time or other things getting in the way. I recently read a claim that most women never wear a 3rd of their wardrobe. Buying things, especially things we like, makes us happy no matter what our mood is or whether we actually have use for the item at the moment.
---
-
#7sadiq2010Posted 4/22/2014 3:03:27 AM
steveo0209

boring topic.
#8Laylow12Posted 4/22/2014 3:16:32 AM
I do the same thing TC only on a grander scale. It's dependent on whether or not you have disposable income and if you enjoy buying and collecting games over using the money for other things. I think with games its pretty common because they give you more hours of play time than most people have free time for.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#9NemerlightPosted 4/22/2014 3:36:18 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
steveo0209 posted...

Is this crazy?

Are you suffering from anxiety or depression? Some people take pleasure in shopping for things, not just video games. But they are left with an empty feeling afterwards.

https://www.hopetocope.com/Item.aspx/618/buying-trouble

Most women have that.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#10fan360Posted 4/22/2014 3:41:55 AM
It is not strange if you are female.

It is strange if you are female and don't buy useless things.