Is it strange that I find buying games more fun than playing them?

#21cmincPosted 4/23/2014 8:54:04 AM
I think it's mostly normal, tc, and if it's not who really cares as long as youre happy for a while after? We're members of a rare fandom that enables honest to god excitement from relatively stupid things like announcements, trailers, news tidbits, onsale dates, actually purchasing the game and then playing it happily for a comparatively long period of time. I cant think of very many things that people get excited to buy that they dont end up regretting on some level weeks and sometimes minutes later, honestly.

Most other fandoms and hobbies end up costing a lot more for a lot less and even in the best case scenario, theres not a whole lot of people to relate to throughout each step of the process.

Even with as annoying as the console wars can be, youre still a member of a specific fraternity of people that paid a respectable portion of money for a device to play electronic crap on; money that each person was excited to spend for their own personal reasons.

Some people spend hundreds on toys to put on shelf, some people buy cars theyre scared to drive, some people do drugs that destroy themselves and those around them, some people pay 150 bucks to be served badfood and watch a bad movie with people theyre not even crazy about just to say they went 'out' on facebook, some people blow money on books theyll never read...

Inbetween all that surrounded by people that are doing their own thing by themselves, no matter what we're doing, no matter what console we like, we're a few clicks away from accessing a very vocal army of people just like us and several companies that want nothing more than to make us happy in exchange for relatively small amounts of money.

Buy on, i say.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | I7-4771 Turbo | GTX 770 4GB GDDR5 | Corsair HX 850W |
Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 128 MB Cache HD | RS Challenger Case |
#22McCartneyMartinPosted 4/23/2014 9:06:01 AM
I have a similar problem. I feel I enjoy researching new upcoming games more than I do playing them. Something about the excitement of the unknown.
#23Hidan623Posted 4/23/2014 9:09:42 AM
steveo0209 posted...
I've noticed lately that I don't have that much time to play games. With my university course coming to an end, I have been so busy over the past few months and haven't had time to play games as much :(

However, I have still bought/rented as many games as I usually do. I get some sort of rush going out to the shops and looking for games to buy. The thought of buying them is great, and sometimes I've even bought a game, when I know I probably won't even enjoy it.

Is this crazy?

DUDE I am the sameeee way.......like for example i will be hyped for a games release for MONTH counting the days till it comes out planning everything I will do on the game and everything...then it comes out and I buy it and play for an hour and never touch it again hahaha
#24RonBurgundy929Posted 4/23/2014 9:43:56 AM
I do this with movies. Never have time to watch them. I have at least 100 Blurays unopened. It rarely happens with games because I spend almost all of my free time playing them.
---
Xbox One & PS4: RonBurgundy929
#25WebsandWigsPosted 4/23/2014 10:37:04 AM
RonBurgundy929 posted...
I do this with movies. Never have time to watch them. I have at least 100 Blurays unopened. It rarely happens with games because I spend almost all of my free time playing them.

Yea this is me. I dont really watch movies anymore, though I still go out of my way to acquire them. Video games I only buy the ones im interested in, so I play and complete most of the ones I buy.
#26DyingPancakePosted 4/23/2014 10:56:32 AM
I think its something many people do, just with different things

My dad has so much hunting stuff he could fully equip 3 or 4 guys in brand new apparel (which is great for me because I get all the hand me downs)

My grandpa used to have 3 separate barns and each one was filled to the brim with any tool you could thing of (also great for me)
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 1
#27RonBurgundy929Posted 4/24/2014 5:56:00 AM
WebsandWigs posted...
RonBurgundy929 posted...

Yea this is me. I dont really watch movies anymore, though I still go out of my way to acquire them. Video games I only buy the ones im interested in, so I play and complete most of the ones I buy.

It's mostly re-buying movies I have on DVD because I want the best version possible.
---
Xbox One & PS4: RonBurgundy929
#28adampeltzPosted 4/24/2014 12:43:01 PM
cminc posted...
I think it's mostly normal, tc, and if it's not who really cares as long as youre happy for a while after? We're members of a rare fandom that enables honest to god excitement from relatively stupid things like announcements, trailers, news tidbits, onsale dates, actually purchasing the game and then playing it happily for a comparatively long period of time. I cant think of very many things that people get excited to buy that they dont end up regretting on some level weeks and sometimes minutes later, honestly.

Most other fandoms and hobbies end up costing a lot more for a lot less and even in the best case scenario, theres not a whole lot of people to relate to throughout each step of the process.

Even with as annoying as the console wars can be, youre still a member of a specific fraternity of people that paid a respectable portion of money for a device to play electronic crap on; money that each person was excited to spend for their own personal reasons.

Some people spend hundreds on toys to put on shelf, some people buy cars theyre scared to drive, some people do drugs that destroy themselves and those around them, some people pay 150 bucks to be served badfood and watch a bad movie with people theyre not even crazy about just to say they went 'out' on facebook, some people blow money on books theyll never read...

Inbetween all that surrounded by people that are doing their own thing by themselves, no matter what we're doing, no matter what console we like, we're a few clicks away from accessing a very vocal army of people just like us and several companies that want nothing more than to make us happy in exchange for relatively small amounts of money.

Buy on, i say.

Best post I've read in a while. Nicely said.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691