Any of you guys hear of swatting?

#1Cornbread4lifePosted 4/22/2014 4:55:41 PM
http://longisland.news12.com/news/police-call-of-duty-loss-prompts-shooting-hoax-in-long-beach-1.7793362

Quick summary: People who lose at call of duty think it's a good idea to report a fake shooting and get emergency responders to rush to the winner's house.

I never heard of this before today, could just be that I'm out of the loop. The news report, of course, makes it sound like tons of people do this. Does it actually happen that often?
---
GT: Cornbread4life
#2aheroafakePosted 4/22/2014 4:59:23 PM
Pathetic.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#3SnickleseedPosted 4/22/2014 5:09:38 PM
I've heard of it once before, I heard some guys talking in game chat about a guy in some CoD clan getting "swatted" so I asked "what the hell is that" and they told me
---
not changing this sig until "being an idiot" is a moderation reason
#4VoidBeyondPosted 4/22/2014 5:13:20 PM
I've only heard of it happening to celebrities, not to people who beat another guy on CoD
---
GT: CynicalRaptor26//PSN: DuodecimKnight//
#5Cornbread4life(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 5:15:59 PM
I'm more curious as to how they get the address of the other person. I would say hacking, but I can't help but think it was the result of those exchanges involving "I'll beat you in real life you ******* ****** ***** **** (etc etc), where do you live?"
---
#6MajorPoopStormPosted 4/22/2014 5:42:18 PM
Cornbread4life posted...
I'm more curious as to how they get the address of the other person.

---
"You're talking to my PS4 console all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with your kinect."
Kazuo Hirai
#7Homie_202Posted 4/22/2014 5:44:47 PM
MajorPoopStorm posted...
Cornbread4life posted...
I'm more curious as to how they get the address of the other person.
#8blacklabelicePosted 4/22/2014 5:48:29 PM
they lose a game in call of duty so they rage so hard that theyll end up in jail and getting fined out the ass

cool story. i hope it happens to me. i have no dead bodies in my house to worry about. if they want to experience the full force of the law because they are upset over the result of an online video game, so be it.
#9blacklabelicePosted 4/22/2014 5:57:58 PM(edited)
Cornbread4life posted...
I'm more curious as to how they get the address of the other person. I would say hacking, but I can't help but think it was the result of those exchanges involving "I'll beat you in real life you ******* ****** ***** **** (etc etc), where do you live?"

easy. social media, youtube, send a random facebook name request over PS+ or just google their gamertag. surprisingly enough people put ridiculous amounts of personal information out there all linked to other information or accounts . sometimes all you would need is just a gamertag or a picture of them and you can find out all kinds of info on them.

often they are dumb enough to have no restrictions on who can view their facebook profile details, and have many of their xbox stuff uploaded to their wall and can be viewed by anybody. in turn, this would take a whole ten seconds to type their gamertag into google, their facebook profile from a picture they shared, and then view the persons profile and find out his name and where he lives, phone number, yadda yadda. youd be surprised how many people dont bother to turn their privacy settings on on places like facebook or youtube, dont know how, or quite simply forgot.

i mean having your gamertag linked to your facebook while you publicly upload your pictures or videos to it, all while sharing all your phone number and information to anybody other than your trusted friends is an easy way for random schmucks to get ahold of your information.

any information you decide to share, make sure its all kept private and you only accept friend requests you know. then you wont really have anything to worry about. youd be surprised how many people put it all out there.

thats just my guess. its pretty damn easy to find people this way. but they make it pretty easy to be found.
#10Cornbread4life(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 5:57:28 PM
blacklabelice posted...
Cornbread4life posted...

easy. social media, youtube, send a random facebook name request over PS+ or just google their gamertag. surprisingly enough people put ridiculous amounts of personal information out there all linked to other information you provide . sometimes all you would need is just a gamertag or a picture of them and you can find out all kinds of info on them.

i mean having your gamertag linked to your facebook while you publicly upload your pictures or videos to it, all while sharing all your phone number and information to anybody other than your trusted friends is an easy way for random schmucks to get ahold of your information.

any information you decide to share, make sure its all kept private and you only accept friend requests you know. then you wont really have anything to worry about. youd be surprised how many people put it all out there.

I would never link my gamertag to any of that stuff, but now even having it in my sig is already giving me second thoughts.
---