What genre of video games you feel takes the most skill?

#141Ran_Ao_LiPosted 4/23/2014 8:12:56 PM
Grand Strategy

Take HoI for example, you generally have 4 years to prepare for the whole of WWII, from tech to politics, then when it actually kicks off you have to manage all the fronts and every unit. Its easier if you pause, but real men keep the clock ticking. I, sadly, am not a real man...
---
"Segaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" - Sega Genesis
#142EnticesSpicesPosted 4/23/2014 8:25:01 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/572200-warflame

What genre is this?
#143chedibang1994Posted 4/23/2014 8:28:07 PM
Platforms avgn adventure is a game were you are at your gaming limits
---
My blade will tear you limb from limb, my eyes aren't as cold as my glare, my heart is black as my metal, I am fulgore mark 3, prepare yourself for devastation
#144ImThe8thWonderPosted 4/23/2014 8:30:59 PM
RTS games, like chess, eventually boil down to two experts fighting with well-known and efficient strategies rather than spontaneous tactical decisions. Since all strategy games follow a consistent set of rules, it is only a matter of time before the most productive attack/defense procedures are found. Then they become a game of memorization and experience instead of true intelligence. That's not very impressive.

Fighting games definitely take skill, usually in the form of reflex-honing and quick decision-making. Usually, similar to RTS games, the best characters and combos will be found and used the most, but the genre isn't as held down by that. Having the best characters and most efficient combo attacks doesn't ensure victory the same way it would in an RTS game. Reflexes and quick decisions still play a vital role when two experts fight and constantly need to adapt to the changing conditions they place on each other.

Racing sim games are a genre that isn't often recognized for its level skill requirement, but it definitely is one of the hardest genres to be skillful in. Not only does car knowledge play a role, but car modifications create a nearly limitless amount of changing conditions that can affect a race, and that's not even half of it. Like racing in real life, when not using driving aids, controlling your vehicle and optimizing its path along a course to maximize speed is not easy no matter how you look at it. This genre probably has the most variables that could factor into victory and defeat.
---
PS4~XB1~PS3~XB360~PS2~PS1~PS Vita~Wii~Wii U~DS~3DS~Super NES~N64~PC
Not everyone with a difference of opinion or that offers criticisms is a troll.
#145sponge_p00pPosted 4/23/2014 9:01:56 PM
Thankfully Quake 3 was mentioned. If you played back in the day then you know the amount of skill it took to be good.

Quake Live is tough, too. Too bad it wasnt more popular.
---
NNID: sponge_p00p
Psn: sponge_p00p
#146odcrl001Posted 4/23/2014 9:12:20 PM(edited)
Platformers. Those from the NES games will understand. The RTS I still can beat the CPU and if anything there's easy mode.

Edit: Dose bullet hell shooters
---
You think your being funny?
...Pink bunny!
#147GamersTavernPosted 4/23/2014 9:09:34 PM
The games that I suck at the most are the ones that require the most skill.
---
Main Site: http://www.gamers-tavern.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersTavernShow
#148matthatter56Posted 4/23/2014 9:16:19 PM
MOBA I wish I could I learn how to play these types of games.
#149DarthUchiha91Posted 4/23/2014 9:34:14 PM
Fighting games for sure. Play some blazblue. You'll understand then.

Better yet, witness the awesomeness of Divekick. Now to master that requires something special.
---
" I don't see the difference between 1080p and 792p"- Ray Charles
#150Virtue777Posted 4/23/2014 9:36:47 PM
RTS or MOBAs

RTS requires insane micromanagement and twitch skills.

MOBAs require significantly less micromanagement, but substitute that with an extremely high level of teamwork required to be successful, and a lot more twitch reflexes.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382