Microsoft's next console should be Virtual Reality focused

#1MilesTeg420Posted 4/25/2014 9:12:14 AM
Brings the brand back to the gamer and out of the gutter.

Powerful console and headset sold at a loss.

Launch well before PS5.

It will make Sony's PS4 VR ambitions look like child's play. The experience wouldn't even be comparable.

Oculus Rift Facebook headset will be released, they will be pushing it hard, this will help Xbox - VR for gamers, not casuals.

This will require mass amounts of money, and likely huge losses, but it will be worth it to restore the brand and gain a stranglehold on the VR space.

The potential for microtransactions in VR is simply staggering. I can't imagine that doesn't appeal to MS.
#2badmanneilPosted 4/25/2014 9:44:25 AM
This is literally one of the stupidest, most delusional topics i have read in a long time
#3Enigma149Posted 4/25/2014 9:48:10 AM
The only people who think the Xbox brand is "in the gutter" are Sony fanboys who simply latch onto anything they can possibly use against the system to prove that it's a complete and utter disaster.

What you're proposing, however, would be a complete and utter disaster. Why would a successful console manufacturer sell an incredibly expensive system at a massive loss? Do you remember what happened last time a company tried this?
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#4MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 9:50:51 AM
Enigma149 posted...
The only people who think the Xbox brand is "in the gutter" are Sony fanboys who simply latch onto anything they can possibly use against the system to prove that it's a complete and utter disaster.

What you're proposing, however, would be a complete and utter disaster. Why would a successful console manufacturer sell an incredibly expensive system at a massive loss? Do you remember what happened last time a company tried this?

MS got their foot in the door?
#5Enigma149Posted 4/25/2014 9:53:01 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Enigma149 posted...

Now think about it from the perspective of the company that sold the system...
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#6MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 9:58:05 AM
Enigma149 posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
Enigma149 posted...

Who cares? It's an investment not much different than the OG Xbox. Would you rather have Sony and PC lead the VR charge, and have MS playing a game of catch up that they can't possibly win?
#7Enigma149Posted 4/25/2014 10:00:28 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Enigma149 posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
Enigma149 posted...

Who cares? It's an investment not much different than the OG Xbox. Would you rather have Sony and PC lead the VR charge, and have MS playing a game of catch up that they can't possibly win?

Ah, I see where the confusion lies, now.

You see, I was speaking about the PS3. You know, the system put out by a successful hardware manufacturer that cost consumers an arm and a leg and Sony several hundred dollars more? The one that ended up costing them billions of dollars, played a large role in the financial disaster that plagued the company for over half a decade, and nearly cost them their hardware business before a miraculous recovery in 2008?
---
#8IminyourclosetPosted 4/25/2014 10:01:50 AM
There isn't going to be a next Microsoft console, the Xbox division already hemorrhaged a lot of Microsoft's money, and I think they've already said they're strongly considering dropping it.

I mean, this is all guesswork, but I would be astounded if they announced they were still going to be competing next gen
#9Enigma149Posted 4/25/2014 10:10:02 AM
Iminyourcloset posted...
There isn't going to be a next Microsoft console, the Xbox division already hemorrhaged a lot of Microsoft's money, and I think they've already said they're strongly considering dropping it.

I mean, this is all guesswork, but I would be astounded if they announced they were still going to be competing next gen

I'd like to see some sources.

The Xbox division only hemorrhaged money during its early years. They've been making a profit every year since then, with the possible exception of last year, due to the X1 R&D costs. Even then, their latest earnings report appears to suggest that X1 and 360 sales are strong enough to make up for this difference.

There was speculation about dropping the Xbox division, speculation largely fueled by a few Microsoft shareholders that, ultimately, have only a very minor say in the company's actions, and their choice of Nadella as CEO, which many said pointed to a "software and services" future for Microsoft where they abandoned hardware initiatives like the Surface and Kinect. This speculation was fueled by comments he made several years ago (in which he stated that he believed the Xbox and Zune were distractions from what Microsoft should be focusing on - software) and his opening memo, which was, again, mostly focused on software and services. This, in turn, lead to speculation being reported as fact. Websites were reporting that Microsoft planned to sell Xbox to Google, sell Xbox to Amazon, spin off the Surface, etc.

Being honest, the Nokia acquisition should have been clue enough that this wasn't going to happen, but even if it was not, Nadella has repeatedly stated since becoming CEO that he considers Microsoft's hardware to be an important part of the company, apparently indicating his opinion from several years ago has changed.
---
#10IminyourclosetPosted 4/25/2014 10:10:20 AM
Okay