Remember how the Wii won last gen?

#11SaltyBotzPosted 4/25/2014 10:18:30 PM
SupaflyGibson posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
Honey, there is a big difference between the wii and the xbone. The wii was a weak system that was also much cheaper than the ps3 and 360. The xbone is weaker than the ps4 AND costs more than it. That isn't exactly a recipe for success.

True. But even thinking back to the N64…now I have no idea how that sold compared to the ps1, but everyone agrees that console had many great games, and of course the ps1 was more powerful graphically. My point is that throwing specs around this board constantly only to bash or praise is stupid.

The N64 was more powerful graphically. What killed the N64 was Nintendo totally threw 3rd party developers under the bus, and they turned around and went to make games for Sony instead. Also the propriety N64 cards could only hold a small portion of data that a CD could. So it was much easier and cheaper to develop for PS1 just due to the media the games used.
#12SaltyBotzPosted 4/25/2014 10:20:49 PM
Also the Nintendo 64 controller was the first one ever designed for a person with 3 hands to operate *sarcasm*. You basically had to switch hand positions on the pad depending on if you wanted to use the D pad or the stick. Games that required heavy usage of both were quite cumbersome. The sticks on N64 pads were also junk. They broke really easy. One of the worst console pads ever made IMO.
#13OpheliaAdenadePosted 4/25/2014 10:23:16 PM
SaltyBotz posted...
SupaflyGibson posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
Honey, there is a big difference between the wii and the xbone. The wii was a weak system that was also much cheaper than the ps3 and 360. The xbone is weaker than the ps4 AND costs more than it. That isn't exactly a recipe for success.

True. But even thinking back to the N64…now I have no idea how that sold compared to the ps1, but everyone agrees that console had many great games, and of course the ps1 was more powerful graphically. My point is that throwing specs around this board constantly only to bash or praise is stupid.

The N64 was more powerful graphically. What killed the N64 was Nintendo totally threw 3rd party developers under the bus, and they turned around and went to make games for Sony instead. Also the propriety N64 cards could only hold a small portion of data that a CD could. So it was much easier and cheaper to develop for PS1 just due to the media the games used.

Yea, if the N64 had used discs it would have dominated the ps1, but nintendo refused because they were worried about people burning discs and pirating games. :v That is why the gamecube had those awkwardly tiny discs. Nintendo didn't get over their fear of using normal discs till the wii came out.

Nintendo likes to play it safe. :v A lot.
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#14toolman129Posted 4/25/2014 10:26:04 PM
SaltyBotz posted...
SupaflyGibson posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...

I own(ed) both, and not once did I ever know of either being inferior to the other. I had fun playing destruction derby and shadows of the empire on the n64. Not to mention goldeneye, my eventual favorite of that gen.

More and more games are cross platform these days, but enough are still exclusive to warrant the purchase of all unless you enjoy no exclusives on one.
---
GT:NightlordHypn0s
PSN:Saakk129
#15Shadowfxd2Posted 4/25/2014 10:29:25 PM
so what you're saying is Wii u will win this gen, since it's the weakest?
#16Garage_ManPosted 4/25/2014 10:34:11 PM(edited)
SupaflyGibson posted...
And the PS2 before that? Wii spec wise was a joke and the PS2 didn't hold a candle to the xbox either. Yet they still killed the competition. This is why this board is such a joke, half of it is X1 haters bashing the X1 for inferior specs and praising the PS4 as the reincarnation of Christ…when specs tend to not matter in the long run. What matters most is games. Both consoles are arguably equal in that category now, but I could easily see that change at E3. MS will definitely reveal Halo and possibly a new gears, and lets not forget how past ps exclusives like kingdom hearts will now be multi-plat.

Power wise this is different than any other generation before it...these are basically the same. The n64 vs ps1 were completely different, the PS2 vs Xbox and GameCube are again..totally different, the x360 vs ps3 couldn't be more different if it wanted.

The PS4 and x1 are basically the same. They are basically a pc with a custom OS but one has roughly 50% more power ANNDDDD GDDR5 which will not be realized for some time. Even if they were the same speed and everything the PS4 having gddr5 puts it vastly ahead in terms of graphical performance.

Now tell me...you are a game developer. Your livelihood relies on this. Are you going to....A make the best game you can for consoles and take advantage of everything the PS4 can offer, B release multiplat but at the expense of literally dumbing down the game in all ways..graphics, physics, AI and more. Or do you do option C, release on ps4 the best choice and drive the x1 under yourself?

Think about it, you said it yourself. The games make the system. All it takes is rockstar wanting the best or Ubisoft or any huuuggee publisher. You own the market when you are that big, if EA left MS forever and focused on just the ps4 they cant recoup from it. Not only that but they can drive ps4 sales to get even more money all while making the best games they can.

This isn't rocket science. It COULD happen..will it, well that remains to be seen but it is getting more likely each passing day.

Edits....also with just one version of the game to dev they can save a ton of money. It means one definitive game engine, one definitive project.
#17youngskillzPosted 4/25/2014 10:32:49 PM
wii sold alot on the fact it was cheaper and the "first" to have motion control gimmicks everyone just had to have...at first.

i'm willing to bet more than 50% of wii owners regreted their purchase very quickly.

still kinda suprised it sold as well as it did for being a gamecube with crappy motion controls.

nintendo should consider themselvs very lucky it sold good, but atleast they're being humbled now with the U.
---
Metal Bands OTM -- Arch Enemy, Eye of the Enemy, Exhortation, Mechanical God Creation, Fractal Gates, Wolfheart, Destinity, Neptune, Isolated.
#18toolman129Posted 4/25/2014 10:35:39 PM
Shadowfxd2 posted...
so what you're saying is Wii u will win this gen, since it's the weakest?

He's saying regardless of power, games sale consoles. Power hasn't historically mattered. How could you not infer that?
---
GT:NightlordHypn0s
PSN:Saakk129
#19SS_MetalSonicPosted 4/25/2014 10:59:24 PM
SaltyBotz posted...
Also the Nintendo 64 controller was the first one ever designed for a person with 3 hands to operate *sarcasm*. You basically had to switch hand positions on the pad depending on if you wanted to use the D pad or the stick. Games that required heavy usage of both were quite cumbersome. The sticks on N64 pads were also junk. They broke really easy. One of the worst console pads ever made IMO.

Were you an infant playing with the N64 controller? Switching hand positions? Im not following you. Maybe I should go into my storage and pick up one of my four N64 controllers that are still functioning properly and not broken ; and test it to see if it is cumbersome.
---
http://shonmac.deviantart.com/ [ PSWiiPCBOX ] Currently playing - Sonic Generations, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Strider, inFamous: SS, Forza 5, Titanfall
#20VirobotPosted 4/25/2014 11:02:01 PM
SupaflyGibson posted...
And the PS2 before that? Wii spec wise was a joke and the PS2 didn't hold a candle to the xbox either. Yet they still killed the competition. This is why this board is such a joke, half of it is X1 haters bashing the X1 for inferior specs and praising the PS4 as the reincarnation of Christ…when specs tend to not matter in the long run. What matters most is games. Both consoles are arguably equal in that category now, but I could easily see that change at E3. MS will definitely reveal Halo and possibly a new gears, and lets not forget how past ps exclusives like kingdom hearts will now be multi-plat.

This is one of the only/few generations when the superior hardware is winning.
---
PSN/Steam:Jareski
This is a PSX: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(video_game_console) |||| It's not a PS1!!!!!!!!