Remember how the Wii won last gen?

#31metalmariolordPosted 4/25/2014 11:37:06 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
SaltyBotz posted...
SupaflyGibson posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
Honey, there is a big difference between the wii and the xbone. The wii was a weak system that was also much cheaper than the ps3 and 360. The xbone is weaker than the ps4 AND costs more than it. That isn't exactly a recipe for success.

True. But even thinking back to the N64…now I have no idea how that sold compared to the ps1, but everyone agrees that console had many great games, and of course the ps1 was more powerful graphically. My point is that throwing specs around this board constantly only to bash or praise is stupid.

The N64 was more powerful graphically. What killed the N64 was Nintendo totally threw 3rd party developers under the bus, and they turned around and went to make games for Sony instead. Also the propriety N64 cards could only hold a small portion of data that a CD could. So it was much easier and cheaper to develop for PS1 just due to the media the games used.

Yea, if the N64 had used discs it would have dominated the ps1, but nintendo refused because they were worried about people burning discs and pirating games. :v That is why the gamecube had those awkwardly tiny discs. Nintendo didn't get over their fear of using normal discs till the wii came out.

Nintendo likes to play it safe. :v A lot.

Guess why PS was king on Brazil...
---
"Today I finished NSMBU, it's just another rehash, it's the same thing as New Super Luigi U." Random TLOU fanboy.
#32TenzhiPosted 4/25/2014 11:38:40 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Well the Xbox One is a success in my home, so in the end of the day, isn't that all that matters?

As someone who really loved his Dreamcast, I would say: only in the short run, man.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#33kyncaniPosted 4/25/2014 11:49:05 PM
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...
I think the only consistency we can see through past gens is that Playstation home consoles always win.

Sure, if you omit the PS3

The only consistency we can see through past gens is that the third console is always a failure.

Nintendo 64 << PS1 & SNES
Playstation 3 << PS2
Xbox One << PS4
#34IzraeilPosted 4/25/2014 11:53:10 PM
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...
I think the only consistency we can see through past gens is that Playstation home consoles always win.

You don't have to omit PS3, it's still going strong, and will pass Wii sales. PS2 sold over 50million units AFTER PS3 launched. PS3 is still pretty expensive at $269, you'll see a surge in sales when it drops to under $200. It also has the best library for last gen consoles especially single player games that people can play even when online is dead, which will ensure it's longevity.
#35OutlawJTPosted 4/26/2014 12:02:12 AM
Wii is the only instance where a console winning it's generation because of something other than the games. As someone else said, it won because it was super cheap by comparison and tapped a vast new audience due to a fad craze. Compared to PS3/X360 it had a deplorable library of games.

As for this generation, no console has 'won' anything yet. The PS4 is presently winning and the Wii U is doing comparatively horrible. However, PS4 and X1 haven't even been out a year yet. We are just starting to see their top tier titles with the release of Titanfall so it is waaaaaay too early to call this race. Give it a year and/or a few more major releases before we'll get any real clear picture of who the winner might be.

Not that it matters who wins. Really, it's the gamers who win as the big dogs fight for our scraps. Sony and MS duking it out gives us better and better games over time. There have been exceptions. We gamers lost when the Dreamcast died prematurely. It had some of the best games that generation but it failed to maintain sufficient support. We might lose this generation if the Wii U dies prematurely. There are a couple of promising games on it and the potential is there for some really cool unique experiences. Support for it is almost past critical condition, though.
---
3DS FC: 4957-3936-8441
#36retrosticker903Posted 4/26/2014 12:04:58 AM(edited)
Where's Jeremy Clarkson to stop this kind of conversation when you need him? Or better yet, James May?
---
Five years ago, I lost 30,000 sandwiches and cakes in a blink of an eye. And GLaDOS just f___ing laughed.
#37PoweredMilkManPosted 4/26/2014 12:09:05 AM
kyncani posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...

The only consistency we can see through past gens is that the third console is always a failure.

Playstation 3 << PS2
Xbox One << PS4

Didn't realize the n64 was a failure.
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU/Steam - bloodandbourbon
#38orestes1981Posted 4/26/2014 12:14:30 AM
SupaflyGibson posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
Honey, there is a big difference between the wii and the xbone. The wii was a weak system that was also much cheaper than the ps3 and 360. The xbone is weaker than the ps4 AND costs more than it. That isn't exactly a recipe for success.

True. But even thinking back to the N64…now I have no idea how that sold compared to the ps1, but everyone agrees that console had many great games, and of course the ps1 was more powerful graphically. My point is that throwing specs around this board constantly only to bash or praise is stupid.

The PS1 crushed the N64. The Wii was their first #1 console since the SNES.
---
Cappin' thine enemy is not exactly something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#39kyncaniPosted 4/26/2014 12:18:21 AM
PoweredMilkMan posted...
kyncani posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...

Playstation 3 << PS2
Xbox One << PS4

Didn't realize the n64 was a failure.

Oh yes, big time. The PS1 just ate it alive.
#40TenzhiPosted 4/26/2014 12:19:15 AM
But, really, that was to be expected given that the system had a controller for three-handed people.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.