Remember how the Wii won last gen?

#61aheroafakePosted 4/26/2014 3:32:48 AM
TheWhoFan posted...
Yes, but what about The Cloud? Halo? And the absolutely free games with your monthly paid subscription? Those are things that you have to bear in mind.

If you're referring to Xbox One with the "free games" with our monthly paid subscriptions, that program's launch hasn't even been mentioned yet.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#62LordcrabfoodPosted 4/26/2014 3:47:16 AM
Izraeil posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...
I think the only consistency we can see through past gens is that Playstation home consoles always win.

Sure, if you omit the PS3

You don't have to omit PS3, it's still going strong, and will pass Wii sales. PS2 sold over 50million units AFTER PS3 launched. PS3 is still pretty expensive at $269, you'll see a surge in sales when it drops to under $200. It also has the best library for last gen consoles especially single player games that people can play even when online is dead, which will ensure it's longevity.

The post I quoted said that ps consoles always win. This has not happened with the ps3. Maybe it will and maybe it will not. The ps3 having the best games is purely opinion. I only ever enjoyed 2 exclusives on the ps 3.

I'm obviously not basing that on your enjoyment of the games, but PS3 has the most games rated 90%+ on meteoritic, and most 80%+ rated, and i haven't check the rest but it's safe to assume the ratio carries for the remaining of the list.
And as for hardware sales, yeah that's speculation, but it's a pretty safe bet, Sony said from the beginning that they will support the PS3 for 10 years, and they seem to be sticking with that plan. Like I said PS2 sold over 50 million units after PS3's launch, PS3 should be able to get at least 20million before it's death.

Review scores have never meant much to me. Honestly reviews are just opinions, some of my fav games average around 60. If we are speculating then the 360 may even outsell both the wii and ps3.
#63nableetPosted 4/26/2014 3:58:23 AM
@Lordcrabfood posted

Whether you agree with review scores, or not, is irrelevant. Everything is subjective, but the average review scores are higher which does suggest they were better received, if not out right better.

The PS3 is still selling 60k~ per week. It outsold the xbone for a number of weeks. The 360 is selling around 30k per week and is about 1M behind the PS3 in sales, with a year more in the market.

To speculate that the 360 will sell more is silly and based on nothing...
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff
#64SpikePosted 4/26/2014 4:00:38 AM
I've been playing games for over 25 years, and I know my game history very well. The power of the system means little to nothing. It will have very, very little impact on which console wins the war. Whoever wins will depend on the marketing and advertising, but most of all, it will depend on the price of the consoles throughout their lives, 3rd party support, console exclusives, the cost of memberships, and the special deals that Sony and Microsoft have or make available in the future.

Honestly though, I don't really like the newer systems much. I'm an old-school gamer. I miss the days where you used to just buy a system, buy the games, and you were good. You didn't need to shell out extra money for a membership, and you didn't need to be able to watch movies on them. It was a really nice little bonus to be able to watch DVD's on the PS2, but that's because DVD players were still pretty new back then, and few people had them. Today, I could care less, because it only makes the console more expensive, and I already have DVD players. Yeah, the new systems have Blu-ray players, but so what? It's not a huge difference. I'm happy with DVD's. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that I just want a game console, not a damn computer!
---
"They look so *** damn like the same person, I say to them "you want ice cream cones?" both of them say yes!" - Mario Twins
#65TestaALTPosted 4/26/2014 4:27:26 AM
Snorlax_exlax posted...
Names are killing consoles, surprisingly.

Xbox is still a really dumb name to market to the Japanese.
It's like calling it a do-not-want box.

Wii U makes it sound like an expansion.

PS4, is, well...selling the most, probably because the didn't do anything stupid with the name.

Probably the best analysis of console sales that I've seen on the internet. And I'm being serious.
#66Yuri_LowelIPosted 4/26/2014 4:34:24 AM
SupaflyGibson posted...
And the PS2 before that? Wii spec wise was a joke and the PS2 didn't hold a candle to the xbox either. Yet they still killed the competition. This is why this board is such a joke, half of it is X1 haters bashing the X1 for inferior specs and praising the PS4 as the reincarnation of Christ…when specs tend to not matter in the long run. What matters most is games. Both consoles are arguably equal in that category now, but I could easily see that change at E3. MS will definitely reveal Halo and possibly a new gears, and lets not forget how past ps exclusives like kingdom hearts will now be multi-plat.

rubbish. PS2's specs back then were irrelevant. Xbox//PS2/GC had similar types of games technically. People who say otherwise are stupid.

Wii didn't win anything except get fat old grandmas play Games.

360 and Ps3 were aimed towards a different market. PS2/XB/GC were in direct competition that's why PS2 got all the 3rd party support and outsold XB and GC ombined x 2. Wii 360 and PS3 have similar sales. I think it's onyl 15 million ahead of PS3 and 360 has sold over 80M.

People need to do research before making silly topics.
---
http://k09.kn3.net/1256263BF.gif
#67BaconPancakesPosted 4/26/2014 4:47:42 AM
SNES wasn't the most powerful fifth generation system. Lol.
---
P.S.N. - Matface.
Go forth; touch the Demon inside of me.
#68ActionButlerPosted 4/26/2014 4:48:21 AM
Shinobi120 posted...
The reason Wii won was because they were catering to casuals & non-gamers with the Wii-mote & Wii-sports, not because of "weaker power" or "weaker specs."

The Kinect was a massive dumping ground for casual titles and non-game releases. Unfortunately, the Kinect was a bad peripheral and most of its games were terrible.

The reason the Wii won was because it had a lineup made entirely out of exclusive IPs that people wanted to play.
---
3DS FC - 0232-9323-9187
#69chestershadowPosted 4/26/2014 4:53:47 AM
Jedi454 posted...
Well the Xbox One is a success in my home, so in the end of the day, isn't that all that matters?

If its not a success outside your home, congrats you have an overglorified tv cable box ADDON that lets you watch the tv channels you already had and NO new games (assuming it is ONLY a success IN your house). Believe me, you as an owner of the one should 100% be concerned with how a 6 month old system is doing outside your house.
#70FrostyLemonPosted 4/26/2014 5:18:32 AM
Izraeil posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
Izraeil posted...
I think the only consistency we can see through past gens is that Playstation home consoles always win.

Sure, if you omit the PS3

You don't have to omit PS3, it's still going strong, and will pass Wii sales. PS2 sold over 50million units AFTER PS3 launched. PS3 is still pretty expensive at $269, you'll see a surge in sales when it drops to under $200. It also has the best library for last gen consoles especially single player games that people can play even when online is dead, which will ensure it's longevity.

The post I quoted said that ps consoles always win. This has not happened with the ps3. Maybe it will and maybe it will not. The ps3 having the best games is purely opinion. I only ever enjoyed 2 exclusives on the ps 3.

I'm obviously not basing that on your enjoyment of the games, but PS3 has the most games rated 90%+ on meteoritic, and most 80%+ rated, and i haven't check the rest but it's safe to assume the ratio carries for the remaining of the list.
And as for hardware sales, yeah that's speculation, but it's a pretty safe bet, Sony said from the beginning that they will support the PS3 for 10 years, and they seem to be sticking with that plan. Like I said PS2 sold over 50 million units after PS3's launch, PS3 should be able to get at least 20million before it's death.

That's irrelevant though, last gen is over. Nintendo has stopped selling the Wii so there's no room for comparison. Even if Sony sold 100 million PS3s that doesn't mean they 'won' last gen, it just means they had it on the market longer.