Microsoft Claims that Cloud Computing Can Provide Power of 3 Xbox Ones

#31ZtevnPosted 4/26/2014 8:46:36 AM
This might be a thing when the XBox Two comes out. I think they just like mentioning it to sell Xbox One's
#32SneakiestNegPosted 4/26/2014 8:47:24 AM
Even if true, so what? Xbox markets mainly to North America. And americans do not have access to real UNRESTRICTED broadband Internet.
#33VRViperIIPosted 4/26/2014 8:47:34 AM
Zerabp posted...

Real time processing vs offloaded processing real time wins. They already have latency and bottleneck issues because of DDR3, using the cloud would exacerbate this. The only reason they are pushing "the cloud" so heavily is because it effectively brings back the always online drm by arguing that the cloud is needed for essential processing tasks.

You're right. All their engineers working in this for years, saying it can be done, saying it can work, are wrong. These men who developed all the graphical effects and engines you play are wrong and you know better than them.

Have fun feeling smug for the next 40 years while cloud processing never becomes a thing. You win the Internet.

Lmfao
---
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rheagar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Valar Morghulis
#34Chao_YunPosted 4/26/2014 9:08:11 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Yes. Great post Sama... Whine about cloud processing not being possible. After MS shows it is at a build conference what then? It's probably doctored. Thank you for your insight Sama. I'm sure the world will be better off knowing that the great and powerful Sama is here to pull s*** out of his ass and speculate from his couch.

Well, aside from the fact that any cloud processing would require a pipe bigger than your mouth, yes, I would say it is a fundamental problem. When the speed of light is faster, your point will be better.
---
Forest trees are greener.
#35BoxTheMuppetPosted 4/26/2014 9:14:05 AM
Chao_Yun posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Yes. Great post Sama... Whine about cloud processing not being possible. After MS shows it is at a build conference what then? It's probably doctored. Thank you for your insight Sama. I'm sure the world will be better off knowing that the great and powerful Sama is here to pull s*** out of his ass and speculate from his couch.

Well, aside from the fact that any cloud processing would require a pipe bigger than your mouth, yes, I would say it is a fundamental problem. When the speed of light is faster, your point will be better.

Can we try this again without insults and with points that are coherent?
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#36squidgy617Posted 4/26/2014 9:17:11 AM
VRViperII posted...
Zerabp posted...

Real time processing vs offloaded processing real time wins. They already have latency and bottleneck issues because of DDR3, using the cloud would exacerbate this. The only reason they are pushing "the cloud" so heavily is because it effectively brings back the always online drm by arguing that the cloud is needed for essential processing tasks.

You're right. All their engineers working in this for years, saying it can be done, saying it can work, are wrong. These men who developed all the graphical effects and engines you play are wrong and you know better than them.

Have fun feeling smug for the next 40 years while cloud processing never becomes a thing. You win the Internet.

Lmfao

No, you have fun being smug when we see absolutely no change in power from cloud computing. The fact that you actually believe all of this marketing is just sad. "But they're professionals!" Yeah, they're also paid to say good things about the Xbone.

Cloud computing is a ridiculois concept. Nobody has a good enough internet connection to make any real use of it anyway, not to mention when thousands of people are connected.to the cloud. It will ALWAYS be better to process from the hardware. If theu wanted a more powerful system maybe they should have made one.

Seriously, this is just like the whole blast processing situation. Its just a buzzword.
#37Megamushroom666Posted 4/26/2014 9:18:14 AM
32 360s really? Did they have to say that?
---
"Deep into that darkness peering..."
www.SNACKEROO.com - Snacks on camera.
#38ZerabpPosted 4/26/2014 9:22:51 AM(edited)
VRViperII posted...
Zerabp posted...

Lmfao

Where in my message did I say any of that?

In fact if you read my message again you'd realize that I imply cloud processing DOES work. It is just nowhere near being able to compare to real-time processing.

Let's go over this process in the most basic of terms.

First the game has to be designed with the offsetting in mind this would involve a lot of big decisions. How much do you offload? What internet standard do you try to target? How many servers do you have at your disposal? How many people can be using those servers simultaneously without adding further latency to the processes?

And that's before you write a line of code.

Once you have answered all those questions and you successfully complete the game. Here's what is happening.

Processes are marked for offload.
Process is sent to server
Server completes process
Server sends completed task back to unit
Process is sent to ram
Process is executed

Versus Real Time Processing
Process sent to Gpu
Gpu completes process
Process sent to ram
Process executed

By the way that is dumbing down everything going on in literal milliseconds as much as possible.

The more steps added to a process the higher the likelihood for it to take longer to be completed. This in computing terms is what we call latency. Latency especially in very time sensitive processes (like you know practically everything involved with modern gaming computation) is bad and you want to make as little of it as possible.

UNLESSS!!!
You have an ulterior motive for pushing cloud technology that just so happens to line up perfectly for your original plans for the hardware. Then of course it makes total sense.
---
XBL Gamertag:SentinelZ PSnetwork ID: SentinelZ
"Bloody wars are easier to survive than idiots with ballots. " Neal Boortz
#39RagnarokxvPosted 4/26/2014 9:25:22 AM
How will you play games that require the cloud after the cloud is no longer available?
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#40SoulTrapperPosted 4/26/2014 9:30:26 AM
“Average broadband speeds in the developed world struggle to reach over 8mbps as of Q3 last year - that's only one megabyte per second. This means that whatever cloud computing power is available, consoles will have available to them an average of 1MB/s a second of processed data. If we compare that to the sort of bandwidth consoles are used to, the DDR3 of Xbox One is rated at around 68,000MB/s, and even that wasn't enough for the console and had to be augmented with the ESRAM.”

The PS4 memory system allocates around 20,000MB/s for the CPU of its total 176,000MB/s. The cloud can provide one twenty-thousandth of the data to the CPU that the PS4's system memory can.

If someone would be able to explain how MS is going to overcome this obvious issue, I'd be much obliged.