Is Microsoft a generation late on cable integration?

#1PlzstopflamingPosted 4/26/2014 6:11:04 AM
Cable was huge back in the X box 360 generation. But with the success of Netflix And the fast rising popularity of hulu, amazon primr, roku, smart tv's, and chromecast. Did they waste time making a xbox one guide and all the cable integration marketing and promoting?

I know a lot of people (including myself) that are well off and still feel like cable is a ripoff. You pay around 70 dollars for time warner standard (includes a promotion of showtime/hbo) where if you had hulu/amazon prime, and Netflix you are looking at about 30 dollars a month.

Would Microsoft been smarter to jump to these apps and services over cable?
#2Plzstopflaming(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 6:39:17 AM
Any opinions?
#3Foreign ObjectsPosted 4/26/2014 6:42:45 AM(edited)
Nah I don't think so.

The HDMI passthrough is a good idea, and all the other stuff is just making the console a universal remote, and an online TV guide which you can get on basically any internet able device.

--edit

However, I don't understand why someone would plug their cable box into their XBone, rather than straight into the TV.. Unless they don't pay the electricity in the house. If you're still living at home, I guess it doesn't matter.. But I'd rather keep my Xbone off unless I want to play it.
---
etc
#4kennyynnooPosted 4/26/2014 6:42:27 AM
You can plug in a chromecast, appletv most other devices also. I can pull up a website with a movie, sports game whatever, cast it on a chromecast to the xbox and game. It's not restricted to cable.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#5Plzstopflaming(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 6:46:24 AM
kennyynnoo posted...
You can plug in a chromecast, appletv most other devices also. I can pull up a website with a movie, sports game whatever, cast it on a chromecast to the xbox and game. It's not restricted to cable.

I know it's not restricted to cable but how many people know that? Heck when setting up your xbox the instructions educated you to hook up your cable box. But when you think about TV Guide integration and how hard they promoted cable pass through they definitely could have jumped to the more up and coming way of tv.
#6kennyynnooPosted 4/26/2014 6:50:14 AM
Plzstopflaming posted...
kennyynnoo posted...

I know it's not restricted to cable but how many people know that? Heck when setting up your xbox the instructions educated you to hook up your cable box. But when you think about TV Guide integration and how hard they promoted cable pass through they definitely could have jumped to the more up and coming way of tv.

In all honesty for $500 I think they assumed people could also afford cable/dish. I don't mind it, I don't use it but I'm sure they will create a chromecast like device and tie it in to the system down the road that the kinect works with. It's to early but that would be smart, maybe they should hire me.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#7thegrimgunnerPosted 4/26/2014 7:22:13 AM
I have my Wii U connected. My little brother loves the thing best party system. Me him and my girlfriend play Mario 3D Land , Rayman , Sonic all star racing and New super mario bros. Its nice having the option to do that but then also recieve messages from friends on Xbox and party invites.
---
Psn: IIGrimsonII (Not currently active) Xbox GT: II Krason II
PC/Steam Krason
#8BoxTheMuppetPosted 4/26/2014 7:33:25 AM
Many politicians and cable channels are pushing for a move away from people needing a cable box and a cable company. With the rise of apps like hbo go and Comedy Central, it's quickly moving towards customers paying directly for only the channels they want and having the content stream directly to them. I think both consoles are set for this. Not exactly sure why I would need a pass through that the x1 has built in if this becomes the case.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#9Plzstopflaming(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2014 9:40:58 AM
Bump
#10Sith JediPosted 5/1/2014 9:49:34 AM
The number of people cutting the cord is nowhere near what you think it is. Now with the imminent death of net neutrality, even less people will get rid of cable. The cable companies are way too big and powerful to let streaming businesses win.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/