Microsoft Finds ET

#41EnclavePosted 4/26/2014 10:52:01 PM
Microsoft didn't find E.T., Microsoft bought exclusive (likely timed) distribution rights to the documentary.

The finding of the E.T. carts is indeed history, don't dilute the achievement of those who found them by attributing the find to some corporation.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#42dnmtPosted 4/26/2014 11:07:34 PM
Enclave posted...
Microsoft didn't find E.T., Microsoft bought exclusive (likely timed) distribution rights to the documentary.

The finding of the E.T. carts is indeed history, don't dilute the achievement of those who found them by attributing the find to some corporation.

Going by social networks it doesn't seem like anyone cares that it was MS anyway.
#43TyrannicalPosted 4/27/2014 2:30:35 AM
ET wasn't a bad game, and it did sell a lot. The problem was Atari waaaaaay over produced the game and spent a lot of cash on licensing.
---
Australian customs: Do you have a criminal record?
Me: I didn't think you needed one anymore.
#44UltimateGeth39Posted 4/27/2014 2:44:47 AM
Tyrannical posted...
ET wasn't a bad game, and it did sell a lot. The problem was Atari waaaaaay over produced the game and spent a lot of cash on licensing.

nooooo.......(several hours later).....ooooppeee!!
---
"There's always a man, a lighthouse, a city."
#45suprsoliderPosted 4/27/2014 3:20:38 AM
Have you ever played that game? It is an unholy demon which can be cited as almost single handedly bringing about the video game crash of the early 80's.

No it didn't. That is a load of crap.

There were many factors involved than just 1 bad video game. You have ZERO CONCEPT of video game history.

Let me explain

The year that the crash effects started was 1982,specifically March 1982. Atari released Pac-Man for the 2600 and it was terrible. It looked and played nothing like Pac-Man the arcade and the reason was the game was just a alpha version Todd Frye had made. Ray Kassar the head of Atari under Warner had the game rushed to market deeming it good enough, thinking the name alone will sell the game and had 12 million produced even though there were only 10 million 2600's sold at that time.
Pac-Man is the best selling 2600 game selling 7 million copies, but it didn't increase 2600 sales at all, instead consumers got burned by a crappy game.

The next piece of this story goes back to 1981 when Activision won in court the right to make games for the 2600. This opened the flood gates to tons of 3rd parties making games for the 2600.
So by 1982 companies such as Quaker Oats and even Purina Dog Food were making video games for all the consoles. So the stores were flooded with games and most of them were bad which pissed consumers off. These companies like Froggo and US games would eventually fail and stores were stuck with games they couldn't sell for retail price so to get rid of them they had to take massive losses and sell them for as low as a $1 a cart.

Now we also have too many platforms on the market, we had the 2600,5200,Colecovision,Intellivision,Channel F, Mangavox Odyssey 2, and much more on the market at once. Which lead to consumer confusion and hurt video games.

Finally home computers came during the 80's with the Commodore Vic 20 and later the Commodore 64. Being the dominant computers among a plethora of home computers from Sinclair to Texas Instruments, Timex and more. Commodore had a price war going on with the computer companies so that you were getting a high end computer for as low as $199. Plus if you traded in your game console Commodore would give you $100 off a Commodore 64. Commodore's marketing of the C64 with more than just a video game paid off as consumers were flocking to those devices like we do with tablets and smartphones today.

So by the time ET was released, it just became the final straw that broke the industry's already broken back. It being rushed to market after a 6 weeks of development, yes 6 WEEKS not months like it usually took to make 1 game, to make it for the holiday season of 1982. The game was complete garbage (yes I have played it on a real 2600 and can beat it btw) which made consumers lose interest in video games. Well by then the market had slowed to a crawl and Atari and retailers were stuck with millions of unsold carts and consoles which got either discounted just to be rid of them at retailers and the rest got dumped in the New Mexico desert.

That is what happened, it wasn't ET the video game alone that caused the crash, it was just the final piece of the puzzle that toppled the industry, kinda like Jenga.
---
"If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch"
PSN ID: CF-105
#46kyncaniPosted 4/27/2014 3:37:11 AM
Sith Jedi posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
Oh, they must have been looking for a place to bury the xbones they couldn't sell. :o Looks like Atari already claimed that spot to put the unsold ET cartridges though.

Yeah that joke has been done in every single topic about this project. Get better material Discount Carlos Mencia.

Oh good, I wasn't the only one thinking Microsoft is just sitting there with just way too much Xbox One consoles and nothing to do with them.
#47CrazyEyeLouiePosted 4/27/2014 6:10:16 AM
I wonder if they still work? Since it was buried in a dry desert i would assume they would.
#48ObtikPosted 4/27/2014 6:21:40 AM
chaotix42 posted...
Jiggy101011 posted...
MichelleRhee posted...
2nd post wins.

Stop agreeing with your alt, it's creepy and sad.

lol
#49CRASS5000Posted 4/27/2014 6:46:06 AM
nableet posted...
Sweet. They should re-release it on the new consoles as a download in all its glory :-) Who wouldn't buy that?

First game offered with "Games With Gold", for the XBO.
---
GT. CRASS RAT GT2. LBC iGoNegative
*Official Topic Killer*
#50VirobotPosted 4/27/2014 6:47:32 AM
"...newly formed Xbox Entertainment Studios."

Well, isn't that "convenient."

Trying to win real gamers back by staging publicity stunts like this is laughable. Even if it is real, who cares? It's a bunch of garbage in the desert.

Good job, Microsoft. You unearthed some garbage.
---
PSN/Steam:Jareski
This is a PSX: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(video_game_console) |||| It's not a PS1!!!!!!!!