Kinectless Xbox One, is it really needed?

#41thegreatsquarePosted 4/27/2014 5:28:09 PM
yiangaruuuga posted...
No. The Kinect is $75 of the cost, making a Kinectless Xbox One cost $425. MS wants to make a profit of some sort so the MSRP will probably be $450, which was the price of an Xbox One + a $60 game for around 3 weeks.

Anyone who wanted an Xbox One already has it, or is waiting until next year for more games to come out.

Without the Kinect, the XB1 would probably be more like $350, maybe even a bit less.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-15-kinect-costs-almost-as-much-as-xbox-one-to-make-says-dev

Two days ago, a confirmed Microsoft Xbox One developer did an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session on Reddit in which he dropped a number of tidbits on the console’s design, Microsoft’s plans for the project, internal opinion on the always-on DRM fiasco, and how Microsoft had interpreted the feedback from that event. One of the startling facts of the session was his claim that the Xbox One’s Kinect sensor is nearly as expensive as the console itself.

---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
#42CaIiber345Posted 4/27/2014 5:44:24 PM
thegreatsquare posted...
yiangaruuuga posted...
No. The Kinect is $75 of the cost, making a Kinectless Xbox One cost $425. MS wants to make a profit of some sort so the MSRP will probably be $450, which was the price of an Xbox One + a $60 game for around 3 weeks.

Anyone who wanted an Xbox One already has it, or is waiting until next year for more games to come out.

Without the Kinect, the XB1 would probably be more like $350, maybe even a bit less.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-15-kinect-costs-almost-as-much-as-xbox-one-to-make-says-dev

Two days ago, a confirmed Microsoft Xbox One developer did an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session on Reddit in which he dropped a number of tidbits on the console’s design, Microsoft’s plans for the project, internal opinion on the always-on DRM fiasco, and how Microsoft had interpreted the feedback from that event. One of the startling facts of the session was his claim that the Xbox One’s Kinect sensor is nearly as expensive as the console itself.

I'd love to know more about the bold parts.
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: No Man's Sky, The Witness, Rogue Legacy, Destiny
#43BloodyDove2vsPosted 4/27/2014 5:50:10 PM
it's coming
---
"how much is your soul worth" XB1M13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8aNBFFaw0
#44CaIiber345Posted 4/27/2014 11:33:49 PM
"Two days ago, a confirmed Microsoft Xbox One developer did an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session on Reddit in which he dropped a number of tidbits on the console’s design, Microsoft’s plans for the project, internal opinion on the always-on DRM fiasco, and how Microsoft had interpreted the feedback from that event. One of the startling facts of the session was his claim that the Xbox One’s Kinect sensor is nearly as expensive as the console itself."

Does anyone have a link to that AMA? Does it even work that way? I don't go to reddit so I have no clue.
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: No Man's Sky, Destiny, Rogue Legacy, The Witness
#45Homie_202Posted 4/27/2014 11:39:47 PM
Yes I used to work at a GameStop and I would say a massive chunk of my customer base refused to buy an xbox one while it had the kinect bundled with it. Same with every single one of my friends they all refuse. Now I know that's not a representation of the entire market. But from everything we are seeing online it seems to be at least somewhat accurate. They need to drop the kinect and come in at $350. Or at the very least $400.
#46SparkItUpPosted 4/28/2014 12:11:55 AM
yiangaruuuga posted...

Or they simply do not want the forced purchase of a peripheral they do not want and will not use.
#47MrCheese4321Posted 4/28/2014 2:31:55 AM
The thing with the Kinect is that the entire OS for the Bone was designed with the Kinect in mind. If you take away the Kinect, you lose all of those features and the main selling point of the system. It would be the biggest 180 of them all and could do more damage in the long run. Not to mention the ad revenue they've been generating and all of the research funding for the Kinect in the first place. Microsoft kinda shot themselves in the foot with this one. They basically HAVE to stick with the Kinect no matter what.
---
28:06:42:12
#48dnmtPosted 4/28/2014 2:36:25 AM
MrCheese4321 posted...
The thing with the Kinect is that the entire OS for the Bone was designed with the Kinect in mind. If you take away the Kinect, you lose all of those features and the main selling point of the system. It would be the biggest 180 of them all and could do more damage in the long run. Not to mention the ad revenue they've been generating and all of the research funding for the Kinect in the first place. Microsoft kinda shot themselves in the foot with this one. They basically HAVE to stick with the Kinect no matter what.

No, a lot more people would welcome that than not. Only real problem is the Xbone's UI being so horrific and unintuitive that it basically forces you to use the Kinect anyway.
#49MicropolisPosted 4/28/2014 5:00:15 AM
BoneRevolution posted...
No. We already have an underpowered PC out there. We don't need another.

This
#50kyncaniPosted 4/28/2014 1:09:33 PM
Micropolis posted...
BoneRevolution posted...
No. We already have an underpowered PC out there. We don't need another.

This

Err, the Xbox One is already underpowered. Removing Kinect won't change that either.