What have developers and publishers done during the last generation...

#1BiggyDXPosted 4/27/2014 8:40:44 AM
That pissed you off?

For me, it's how certain developers stop the support for some of their most highly marketed games after a year from their release. Let me give you two good examples: TOS: Skyrim and Mass Effect 3.

I haven't played Skyrim in a while, but I know that if Bethesda had worked to keep patching the game (and maybe even adding a few modification - ex. Horseback riding) then I would of stuck with it longer. There were still a host of issues surrounding the game that needed to be patched, but they decided after the release of the Dragonborn DLC to just up and call it quits.

The same goes for my other example, Mass Effect 3; more specifically, the Multiplayer. After the Reckoning DLC was released, Bioware only patched the game twice within a 1 month period (some fixes to the Reckoning characters and making certain weapons obtainable through normal gameplay). However, after its release they up and left the game behind completely. There were still balancing issues that needed to be addressed, in addition to multiple glitches, bugs, and statistics.

I don't say this as if they should keep patching the game for 3 years. But I think holding on for at least another 8 months (so a year and 8 months) would really be helpful.
---
Gamertag: Biggy DX
#2axelfooley2k5Posted 4/27/2014 8:48:50 AM
dlc
microtrannies
---
Sergeant Harrison Yates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv62bDzeWKQ
#3aj4x94Posted 4/27/2014 8:49:50 AM
Online trophies. Or more specifically, online trophies from games that have slapped on multiplayer modes. Case in point: Tomb Raider.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Lords of Shadow, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, GTA V.
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#4userfrigginamePosted 4/27/2014 9:04:56 AM
I didn't like seeing empty character boxes on a character selection screen, and realizing that I had to pay for them, rather than unlock them (ie. Marvel Vs. Capcom).
#5Samman123Posted 4/27/2014 9:06:49 AM
DLC
---
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m695gfTxCZ1r06evx.gif
#6AzaneAzerPosted 4/27/2014 9:30:58 AM(edited)
Paywalling their content

Theres games with over 3000$ worth of DLC content now.

DLC is hitting a breaking point, as now, even the most modest devs are designing their games around DLC, which really hurts the experience if you don't want to pay twice for the game.

Oh, and games like BL2, that had Complete, GOTY, Season pass AND you still didnt get half ot the content, because they just kept adding 2$ here 2$ there, to the points it's almost 100$ for the game.
#7PorungaPosted 4/27/2014 9:35:29 AM
aj4x94 posted...
Online trophies. Or more specifically, online trophies from games that have slapped on multiplayer modes. Case in point: Tomb Raider.

This, but I will also add completely unreasonably difficult trophies like "beat the game on ultra impossible extreme mode without taking damage". A bit of an exaggeration, but I make my point.
#8wskingwsPosted 4/27/2014 9:39:09 AM
I've said this before but I hate when they ship fighting games with every single character unlocked. Half the fun (for me) is unlocking them.
---
I am the voice of reason.
#9AzaneAzerPosted 4/27/2014 9:46:16 AM
Porunga posted...
This, but I will also add completely unreasonably difficult trophies like "beat the game on ultra impossible extreme mode without taking damage". A bit of an exaggeration, but I make my point.

I don't see these as such big problems, because the opposite of not having them is... that they don't exist.

games with ridiculous achievement count (Not console, but I like using this as an example) like Tales of Maj'eyal, are entertaining, because you never run out of things to do, 1297 achievements in a game, and they're not all freebie "Turned the game one!" achievements either.