The paywall is THE reason why XB1 has failed to attract the casual gamer

#1BBQMooseheadPosted 4/27/2014 7:59:45 AM
MS goal is to have the XB1 as peoples MAIN device in the living. It plays games, controls your tv, yada yada yada. But trust me when i say this...no casual gamer who wants to use their XB has a media hub and to watch netflix, skype etc is gonna pay $60/yr just for that. Think of how many people use their old xboxes as media hubs and no one is gonna see the value or need in renewing their XBL on a $500 console.

MS needs to cut the crap and drop the BS paywall because until they do, XB1 will never been a main living room device.
#2axelfooley2k5Posted 4/27/2014 8:01:53 AM
nah

500 for inferior hardware

500 in general.......people look at the cheaper product then are told it is more powerful and that is the icing on the cake
---
Sergeant Harrison Yates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv62bDzeWKQ
#3EastCoastKodyPosted 4/27/2014 8:06:46 AM
no
#4MuryoPosted 4/27/2014 8:06:56 AM
It's part of it:

-No transfer of digital purchases

-No backwards compatibility

-multiplats with inferior res and fps compared with its cheaper competition

-exclusives with last gen res and fps

-horrible pr
---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken
#5AzaneAzerPosted 4/27/2014 8:14:33 AM
The Xboxone has no advantage over their ps4, and costs more, with no option of removing the expensive mandatory peripheral.

And the PR is probably the biggest thing.
#6GroovyTonberryPosted 4/27/2014 8:15:22 AM
I think the multimedia box in general is a fail. For the same priced PC you get all of those features and so much more. Couple that with people such as myself who are fortunate enough to have a high end PC and a PS4 and a Wii U. As it stands I literally have zero interest in the Xbox One. I want my mind to be changed because I think it has potential.
#7SoulTrapperPosted 4/27/2014 8:31:51 AM
The paywall is just one part of the problem.

The xbox one has had PR issues since the reveal, E3 made it even worse.

They came back on a lot of those ridiculous policies, but at the same time they were blaming their consumer because they "weren't ready" for what they had planned.

This of course meant that reversing those policies lost most of it's effect, because they were insulting the people who they were changing the policies for.
It's as if they spat in your soup and called you names when you complained about it and asked for a fresh bowl.
It just doesn't make any sense.

And then came the rumors of multi platform games running at lower resolutions.
Those were accompanied by heavy denial of the hardware being worse than that of the ps4 and claims by MS representatives that "the truth would come out" and other claims like it.

When those rumors turned out to be true, MS once again lost a lot of consumer trust because they had been pretty much denying it up till a couple days/weeks before the launch.
Lying to your customers is never a good idea.

So at this point, they had done almost nothing to convince the "hardcore" gamers who were turned off by the reveal and E3 as to why they should get their console.
And those "hardcore" gamers are always the first adopters, the people who want to get that new console ASAP.
The casuals follow the "hardcore" gamers, because they ask their gamer friend which console to get and they look around and see that most people they know (the early adopters) have a PS4.

They have their loyal fanbase, which was willing to buy the console and which provided a nice amount of sales, though.

Add to all of that the important price difference, the paywall for otherwise free services, the inferior specs, the forced camera in a year that also had the NSA leaks and the complete mess that was their PR and you've got a recipe for a console that's obviously under performing sales wise.
#8Rod1984Posted 4/27/2014 8:37:01 AM(edited)
I sell these things everyday at my job. My most difficult customer to sell an xbox one to is a family who is just starting to get into gaming for their little boy or girl, due to age they definitely wont be playing games online anytime soon and the parents say they are too old to get into games. I pretty much sold them on the xbox due to all the multimedia features with the apps and tv portion of it, but then when i tell them 90% of the features are relied on the use of xbox live gold for 60 a year, thats when they start looking the other way bc they dont see the value in the fee, especially since they are already paying a monthly fee to netflix/hulu/etc.

They end up getting a ps4 instead since it has the same media features as the xbox except for the tv integration of course and they have an option of online play for 50 a year if they want. Dont get me wrong i still manage to push the xbox ones with an extremely low return rate to casual customers but a good chunk of them refuses bc of the gold fee which I do agree is stupid if you dont play games online. One lady wanted to buy an xbox strictly for netflic and hulu and I had to show her a roku box instead
---
PSN: mavrik1984 - GamerTag: rod1984 - Steam: rod1984
#9BBQMoosehead(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 8:39:13 AM
GroovyTonberry posted...
I think the multimedia box in general is a fail. For the same priced PC you get all of those features and so much more. Couple that with people such as myself who are fortunate enough to have a high end PC and a PS4 and a Wii U. As it stands I literally have zero interest in the Xbox One. I want my mind to be changed because I think it has potential.

You can get a similar priced PC for $500 that does what XB1 does? But not everyone wants a honking PC in their living room.
#10CKnightPosted 4/27/2014 8:39:50 AM
GroovyTonberry posted...

Quite a few Xbox exclusives don't go to PC. I fail to see how someone interested in Xbox games will be satisfied with a PC that won't have a majority of those games.

I think someone of you don't think when you say just build a PC.

I have a gaming PC and it never feels like a replacement because it simply doesn't have all the Xbox One games available for it.