The paywall is THE reason why XB1 has failed to attract the casual gamer

#21aj4x94Posted 4/27/2014 9:18:47 AM
Paywall is only part of it. The Kinect and having weaker multplats is the dealbreaker for me.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Lords of Shadow, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, GTA V.
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#22BBQMoosehead(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 9:22:14 AM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
The paywall was there ever since the original Xbox, and didn't stop the casuals from getting the Xbox 360

ShadowNinja87 posted...
It's dad that die hard xbox fans still defend XBL when it's a massive paywall and has little ad rages over PSN at this point.

It's sad when any paywall gets defended. Just because Gold is even worse than PS+ doesn't suddenly make PS+ good.

Wrong, MS didnt start the paywall until about the 4th or 5th year last gen. It came as part of one of the huge updates where it reinvented the dashboard UI.
#23uniquebadgerPosted 4/27/2014 9:59:52 AM
gohoanq posted...
The paywall didn't stop them from loving the 360 last gen. The XO is suffering because it costs too much, has a forced Kinect that most people don't want at all.
---

I think these two things alone are the main things detracting form the X1 right now. Plus with last gen still getting heavily supported, why would most gamers feel the need to buy a new gen console?
#24spacejamjordanzPosted 4/27/2014 10:03:46 AM
BBQMoosehead posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
The paywall was there ever since the original Xbox, and didn't stop the casuals from getting the Xbox 360

ShadowNinja87 posted...
It's dad that die hard xbox fans still defend XBL when it's a massive paywall and has little ad rages over PSN at this point.

It's sad when any paywall gets defended. Just because Gold is even worse than PS+ doesn't suddenly make PS+ good.

Wrong, MS didnt start the paywall until about the 4th or 5th year last gen. It came as part of one of the huge updates where it reinvented the dashboard UI.

Are you serious? Xbox Live has been a paywall since it's birth in 2002.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#25hak145Posted 4/27/2014 10:39:49 AM
Why would you capitalize "the" in your topic title? If anything needs emphasis i think it would be "is".
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump, PSN: CRAZIERjump
Winner: Dark Souls.....2
#26Darkside_ShadowPosted 4/27/2014 10:47:20 AM
I own both consoles.

But here are some of my thoughts.

Buy a Ps4
Set it up, start playing, you dont have to register a credit card or nothing, just play.

Buy an Xbox One by paying more than a Ps4.
Set it up, start paying, then play, but with slightly inferior graphics. See?

MS burned some bridges when they
tried to force always online, DRM, BS, you name it and had an attitude on top.
But still today, you pay more for the console, then you pay for Live, and on top you get weaker hardware for your money.
People are not that stupid. Of course the normal person who just wants to play some games
is going to buy a Ps4. It is at the moment the most logical choice.

Sony made a pretty simple product people can understand. And until MS drops the Kinect and the price they are screwed.
IMO.
#27MuryoPosted 4/27/2014 11:02:12 AM
Darkside_Shadow posted...
I own both consoles.

But here are some of my thoughts.

Buy a Ps4
Set it up, start playing, you dont have to register a credit card or nothing, just play.

Buy an Xbox One by paying more than a Ps4.
Set it up, start paying, then play, but with slightly inferior graphics. See?

MS burned some bridges when they
tried to force always online, DRM, BS, you name it and had an attitude on top.
But still today, you pay more for the console, then you pay for Live, and on top you get weaker hardware for your money.
People are not that stupid. Of course the normal person who just wants to play some games
is going to buy a Ps4. It is at the moment the most logical choice.

Sony made a pretty simple product people can understand. And until MS drops the Kinect and the price they are screwed.
IMO.

---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken
#28DEMONPANDA212Posted 4/27/2014 11:08:36 AM
GroovyTonberry posted...
I think the multimedia box in general is a fail. For the same priced PC you get all of those features and so much more. Couple that with people such as myself who are fortunate enough to have a high end PC and a PS4 and a Wii U. As it stands I literally have zero interest in the Xbox One. I want my mind to be changed because I think it has potential.

Ditto.
---
3DS (XL) 4854-6425-2855
3DS (Zelda) 2320-6650-1378
#29EvilTrashPosted 4/27/2014 11:14:08 AM(edited)
Rod1984 posted...
I sell these things everyday at my job. My most difficult customer to sell an xbox one to is a family who is just starting to get into gaming for their little boy or girl, due to age they definitely wont be playing games online anytime soon and the parents say they are too old to get into games. I pretty much sold them on the xbox due to all the multimedia features with the apps and tv portion of it, but then when i tell them 90% of the features are relied on the use of xbox live gold for 60 a year, thats when they start looking the other way bc they dont see the value in the fee, especially since they are already paying a monthly fee to netflix/hulu/etc.

They end up getting a ps4 instead since it has the same media features as the xbox except for the tv integration of course and they have an option of online play for 50 a year if they want. Dont get me wrong i still manage to push the xbox ones with an extremely low return rate to casual customers but a good chunk of them refuses bc of the gold fee which I do agree is stupid if you dont play games online. One lady wanted to buy an xbox strictly for netflic and hulu and I had to show her a roku box instead

Why are you trying to push the Xbox One on your customers more than the PS4, especially when it's obvious the PS4 would make more sense for that consumer? Sounds like you are pushing an agenda to me, rather than actually trying to inform the consumer of everything they need to know to choose the right device for them.

Maybe I am wrong and just got the wrong impression from your first paragraph, because at the end you did say you pointed a woman to a Roku when you could have sold her the Xbox. That's good, at least.
#30leatheljPosted 4/27/2014 11:36:14 AM
Salt...salt every where.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.