The paywall is THE reason why XB1 has failed to attract the casual gamer

#41Mr_DelcroixPosted 4/27/2014 2:11:40 PM
>Wanting to attract casuals
>Wanting casuals to infest your chosen console of choice
>Thinking that this isn't a blessing in disguise.

To think some of the people here are actually serious makes me chuckle a bit.
---
Wonder when they're going to realize that I don't care about karma?
#42mike468Posted 4/27/2014 2:27:55 PM
You're right TC. The problem is that according to MS's own data, the majority of XBL users (over 50%) for the 360 actually use the system for activities other than gaming like watching netflix or skype, the internet, etc. So that is why MS feels they can charge for that stuff and put it behind a paywall.

IMO I think it should all be free like the PS3/4 and Gold should really only apply to game related services. I think most gamers are fine with paying the $50 a year for XBL to basically server maintenance, security and early access to content like it was originally intended.

You have casual consumers who want to buy a blu-ray/dvd player that also supports other services like netflix. Gaming might not be their main priority, but they would consider a game console for those features if they weren't locked behind a paywall. MS is just shooting themselves in the foot over this IMO.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#43daniel79Posted 4/27/2014 2:38:58 PM
BBQMoosehead posted...
AzaneAzer posted...
BBQMoosehead posted...
You can get a similar priced PC for $500 that does what XB1 does? But not everyone wants a honking PC in their living room.

Why is a pc a honking? I use a laptop multimedia center in my living room, it's smaller than the cable box, and It only cost about 400$ (Pro-tip, you don't need a top of the line machine for multimedia, it's very very low on hardware).

The PC also has by far the largest market and 30 years worth of backwards compatability.

I do like how "TITANFALL TITANFALL TITANFALL" people that raved about it being Xbox one exclusive dismiss PCs for not having enough games... LOL

No offense but having a PC in the living room looks stupid. Theyre meant for desks and offices, not livng rooms. Tablets are meant for livjng rooms.

...Okay. That's a subjective matter if ever I saw one.

Hook a good PC up to your telly that pumps 1080p at least and you'll never go back to consoles again.

Who cares if that little box in the corner looks a bit ugly, you'll spend your time looking at bliss..
#44SneakiestNegPosted 4/27/2014 3:08:10 PM
Obviously if your gaming is all about graphics and do not care about console exclusives and have 1500 euro lying around. . . get a PC.
#45DojoMaxPosted 4/27/2014 3:16:41 PM
Muryo posted...
It's part of it:

-No transfer of digital purchases

-No backwards compatibility

-multiplats with inferior res and fps compared with its cheaper competition

-exclusives with last gen res and fps

-horrible pr

Your life sums up to the following:
Garbage Trolling
Lame Trolling
Pathetic Trolling
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVN_Ytl_bgA -- Titanfall is better on 360 than XBone.
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin:DojoMax
#46DojoMaxPosted 4/27/2014 3:17:30 PM
singhellotaku posted...
axelfooley2k5 posted...
nah

500 for inferior hardware

500 in general.......people look at the cheaper product then are told it is more powerful and that is the icing on the cake

this, especially because there is no real reason for casuals to notice the paywall, they likely don't play online and they probably have 9 different other devices that can use netflix, the bigger point is the idea of a all in one entertainment device is stupid, nobody actually wants that....and if they do, they buy a computer

Yea cause people are going to gather their families around a computer.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVN_Ytl_bgA -- Titanfall is better on 360 than XBone.
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin:DojoMax
#47chrish909Posted 4/27/2014 3:22:53 PM
Ps4 is selling very well right now, too bad sony doesnt make much profit from it, possibliy losses. X1 is selling very well too and are in the same situation. Difference is x1 softwares sales are close to ps4s although the consoles are selling at different rates

Xbox isnt having a problem, its the 3rd fastest selling console of all time.
---
This is why I'm never going to get a ps4
http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml
#48PuddingshotgunPosted 4/27/2014 3:35:07 PM
Mr_Delcroix posted...
>Wanting to attract casuals
>Wanting casuals to infest your chosen console of choice
>Thinking that this isn't a blessing in disguise.

To think some of the people here are actually serious makes me chuckle a bit.

But if there were no casuals in the beginning, how did the hardcore gamers come to be? It's a stage of growth that weeds out the non-dedicated. Without it, there wouldn't be a growing population of gamers. And we all want more people to enjoy gaming, right?
---
I CALL SHOTGUN!!! (splat)
#49Shinobi120Posted 4/27/2014 3:40:37 PM(edited)
No one cares that you can watch TV on your TV. That's NOT a selling point like DVD & Blu-Ray was.

chrish909 posted...
Ps4 is selling very well right now, too bad sony doesnt make much profit from it, possibliy losses.

Stop telling lies.
#50SupernautusPosted 4/27/2014 4:04:47 PM
Personally, I've been subscribing to Live a lot longer than I've been using netflix, and I'm sure many other people are the same, so for me, and those like me, there is no paywall.