Funny thing is people think they know what they are talking about the "Cloud"

#11Styrof0amPosted 4/28/2014 3:27:45 AM
nableet posted...
Show me something on the xbox in a real world setting, using average internet bandwidth and I'll jump on board. Until then, I remain skeptical.

I'm with you.

The trend in recent years have been to showcase upcoming games on killer PCs, and passing what's on screen as running on [insert console name here]. This goes for pretty much all publishers
---

No commentary. Gameplay only ... http://www.youtube.com/user/kyllingefod
#12BrownGottiPosted 4/28/2014 3:51:03 AM
I think the whole MS cloud computing will work like Netflix. Before you play, the game will detect your internet speed. And based on the speed of your connection, that will determine what visuals are outputted.

No Connection to the Internet - 720P - 60FPS
Slowest - 900P - 30FPS
Medium - 900P - 60FPS
Fast connection - 1080P - 30FPS
Fastest connection - 1080P - 60FPS
#13Cowboy082288Posted 4/28/2014 3:56:09 AM
My two cents is this. As for processing graphics, none of that will be off loaded to the cloud. Graphics require large bandwidth. A good video card or the X1/PS4 systems far surpasses the speed you can get through the net. So that will, for the foreseeable future, be handled locally.

The other approach is to run the game entirely in the cloud and stream it to the user. So far this experience is still plagued with a lot of lag. Sony is going to put out a game streaming service, we will see how it goes. I have my doubts on this though, because you can not buffer a game the way you can with a movie.

None of this is to say that 'cloud computing' is useless for games. The fact is that cloud computing has been around for awhile now, it just hasn't really been applied much in the gaming industry. There are already some inventive uses coming and have been done. Forza used it to compute AIs to try and replicate other players. A game called 'Bot Colony' coming to PC uses it to give players very flexible voice interaction with the game. The siri AI from Apple uses cloud processing, though that is not game related. MS Cortana AI will use it as well.

Notice that all these real uses have to do with AI. Where a small amount of data such as a spoken sentence is sent to the cloud, then some heavy computations are done with that data, and finally a small amount of data is sent back to the user. Such as an answer to the original sentence.

I think there are some very smart and creative games devs that will come up with interesting ways of using it. People just need to keep their expectations realistic.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#14RyuuHou25Posted 4/28/2014 4:49:07 AM
I'm not a welder by trade or an expert, doesn't mean I don't know how to use an acetylene torch or an arc welder, or how to properly weld together various metals and corners.

People know how cloud based technology works without having to be experts "in the field" as it were.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#15PrinceMedionPosted 4/28/2014 5:13:09 AM
The power of the cloud is Microsoft's version of 'blast processing' its mostly a marketing gimmick. Yes the Genesis had a better processor that actually let the games (mainly sonic) run at a faster pace then NES could do at the time but it was showed as the end all be all on why Genesis does what Nintendont but again was really just a marketing ploy to sound more impressive then it actually was.

Same thing here. The cloud is just being propped up by Microsoft to give the X1 the edge it so desperately needs. We've seen what the Cloud has done in Forza's Drivatar system and nothing done in that system is anything more then a better developed AI. Yes I'm sure the way the game learns how you drive and uploads that information to the cloud is important but in the end its just AI.

Microsoft wants you to believe the Cloud and more recently Direct X12 will somehow make the X1 hardware seem much better then it actually is, but its not and honestly its kind of sad how many people fall for the marking BS they put out. They need you to believe that somehow these things will magically make the X1 a better system then the PS4 but the truth is that they won't, the power of the cloud is actually pretty cool (at least what it does in Forza) but the smoke and mirrors show Microsoft continues to put on with its 'importance' and what not is just sad.

For the record I don't know any better then what anyone else does in terms of what the Cloud can/will do but looking at what it does and them saying we'd 'see the power of the cloud in Forza 5' and then seeing what it actually did (again just uploading information that the game records and turning the AI with it). It's pretty clear its all marketing buzz in order to make up for the X1's hardware.
---
3DS FC 0731-4747-6981 PM me if you add me.
#16Tyronelio1Posted 4/28/2014 5:15:28 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
I'm not a welder by trade or an expert, doesn't mean I don't know how to use an acetylene torch or an arc welder, or how to properly weld together various metals and corners.

People know how cloud based technology works without having to be experts "in the field" as it were.

But do they know what ms is doing with the cloud or are they just basing the hate off of things that have happened before?
---
Welcome to Sonyfaqs.com.
Currently playing: FF: 13-3, NBA 2K13, Lego: Batman/LotR, The Sims 3: Pets, Hitman HD Trilogy and LotR: War in the North.
#17Jiggy101011Posted 4/28/2014 5:16:38 AM
I have no idea what it is or what it does, so I never talk about it. The funny thing is there are a lot of people who are the same and yet they talk like they wrote a book on Cloud gaming.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: Beyond: Two Souls, Skyrim, Titanfall
#18Jiggy101011Posted 4/28/2014 5:19:12 AM
BrownGotti posted...
I think the whole MS cloud computing will work like Netflix. Before you play, the game will detect your internet speed. And based on the speed of your connection, that will determine what visuals are outputted.

No Connection to the Internet - 720P - 60FPS
Slowest - 900P - 30FPS
Medium - 900P - 60FPS
Fast connection - 1080P - 30FPS
Fastest connection - 1080P - 60FPS

If you have no connection to the internet then you can't watch Netflix.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: Beyond: Two Souls, Skyrim, Titanfall
#19RyuuHou25Posted 4/28/2014 5:43:12 AM
Tyronelio1 posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

But do they know what ms is doing with the cloud or are they just basing the hate off of things that have happened before?

They don't know what MS is doing with it, but knowing how cloud computing works does not require being an expert in the field of computing. As MANY people have pointed out, they're using the ignorance of the public in general to make the Cloud the next blast processing.

They hyped this up before launch, launch came and went, only one game utilized the so called all powerful cloud and used it for a very basic thing, as many suspected it would and pointed out again and again before launch.

There's a small possibility they will be able to do something impressive with the cloud. But it's not going to do everything they're claiming. The only "demo" they've shown so far was highly secretive, had a lot of holes in the logic they were using, and didn't specify what the program they used was, what they were running the demos on, etc etc so nobody knows if it was highly staged or not, although many suspect it was.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#20xxnogamerxxPosted 4/28/2014 5:51:25 AM
PrinceMedion posted...
The power of the cloud is Microsoft's version of 'blast processing' its mostly a marketing gimmick. Yes the Genesis had a better processor that actually let the games (mainly sonic) run at a faster pace then NES could do at the time but it was showed as the end all be all on why Genesis does what Nintendont but again was really just a marketing ploy to sound more impressive then it actually was.

Same thing here. The cloud is just being propped up by Microsoft to give the X1 the edge it so desperately needs. We've seen what the Cloud has done in Forza's Drivatar system and nothing done in that system is anything more then a better developed AI. Yes I'm sure the way the game learns how you drive and uploads that information to the cloud is important but in the end its just AI.

Microsoft wants you to believe the Cloud and more recently Direct X12 will somehow make the X1 hardware seem much better then it actually is, but its not and honestly its kind of sad how many people fall for the marking BS they put out. They need you to believe that somehow these things will magically make the X1 a better system then the PS4 but the truth is that they won't, the power of the cloud is actually pretty cool (at least what it does in Forza) but the smoke and mirrors show Microsoft continues to put on with its 'importance' and what not is just sad.

For the record I don't know any better then what anyone else does in terms of what the Cloud can/will do but looking at what it does and them saying we'd 'see the power of the cloud in Forza 5' and then seeing what it actually did (again just uploading information that the game records and turning the AI with it). It's pretty clear its all marketing buzz in order to make up for the X1's hardware.

Lol @ writing essays on gamefaqs.

The same genius "experts" swore on their lives that direct x 12 was impossible on X1 and that xbots are "just sad" for believing it.

You guys clearly have no clue whatsoever as to what is possible and what's not. If you did you certainly wouldn't be on gamefaqs writing page long responses.

Clown shoes.