so it looks like the future is this...

#11leelee3105(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 3:28:05 PM
When you think about it now it all makes perfect sense. MS knows the days of the dedicated game console are coming to a close. So they make the Xbox one. It does everything you need from your entertainment system. Looks like they had the foresight to see the next "gen" will have them fighting against Apple and Amazon for streaming set top boxes no against Nintendo and PlayStation. Might also explain why they thought that bag of crap known and the steam box was worth putting capital into. Call me a fanboy if you want, but you have the respect MICROSOFT's genius
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#12Garage_ManPosted 4/27/2014 3:44:30 PM
squarex8264 posted...
That's not exactly what I took the article to say...

Sony is just saying that they feel the future in gaming is going to be through cloud services. This isn't too surprising since Microsoft has been saying this as well since last year E3. At least now that Sony is onboard with the vision, most of the trolls on this board won't be lambasting Microsoft for the notion of gaming as a service :)

but..they have known servers are the future since they bought that company...They can help the 1% of people that have a 0MS ping and 1GBPS speed.

No one ever said the cloud was dumb, we say what MS is doing is dumb. To think that you are going to offload processing on my crap 2MB connection with a upload speed of .2MB with a ping of 40-100MS on average is laughable at best. This technology is still years out from being standard.
#13BSerenityPosted 4/27/2014 3:48:21 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
But the cloud can't do gaming. All the sony guys swear it's just a buzz word. Many of them claim to be IT guys.

There is a key difference between what Sony is going for and MS. At least get that right.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#14U_WOT_M8Posted 4/27/2014 3:53:29 PM
Another one of these Xbot circle jerk topics. Take some dumb information on the PS4, spin it, and start celebrating as if it's already a fact.

And you kids wonder why your board gets trolled...
#15BoxTheMuppetPosted 4/27/2014 3:57:43 PM
BSerenity posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...
But the cloud can't do gaming. All the sony guys swear it's just a buzz word. Many of them claim to be IT guys.

There is a key difference between what Sony is going for and MS. At least get that right.

So you didn't read this part huh?

If PlayStation Now is a success, it could be immensely beneficial to Sony -- shifting from a hardware/software business model to a cloud-based service model would open up a number of opportunities while simultaneously limiting risks.

Sony would no longer need to worry about designing, building, and shipping a new low-margin PlayStation every few years, and it could cut could out traditional retail middlemen. Regular subscription revenue would likely prove more stable than seasonal software demand.

Also, what is the difference you speak of if they are going to move towards cloud gaming?
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#16HENTAIDOJIPosted 4/27/2014 3:58:49 PM
U_WOT_M8 posted...
Another one of these Xbot circle jerk topics. Take some dumb information on the PS4, spin it, and start celebrating as if it's already a fact.

It's not spin, it's straight from Sony - Playstation Now is an initiative to decrease the number of Playstation exclusives....if you think that it'll only cover PS1-3.....well, did Netflix get successful by only offering movies released before 2006?
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#17BoxTheMuppetPosted 4/27/2014 4:00:13 PM
U_WOT_M8 posted...

And you kids wonder why your board gets trolled...

Wait, take dumb information, spin it, and start celebrating as if it's already a fact...I wonder if I have seen any sony guys do this on the x1 board.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#18PorungaPosted 4/27/2014 4:06:53 PM(edited)
BoxTheMuppet posted...
BSerenity posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...

If PlayStation Now is a success, it could be immensely beneficial to Sony -- shifting from a hardware/software business model to a cloud-based service model would open up a number of opportunities while simultaneously limiting risks.

Sony would no longer need to worry about designing, building, and shipping a new low-margin PlayStation every few years, and it could cut could out traditional retail middlemen. Regular subscription revenue would likely prove more stable than seasonal software demand.

Also, what is the difference you speak of if they are going to move towards cloud gaming?

Things like remote play and Playstation now is very different from what MS is proposing. Remote play and Playstation now essentially has all work being down on the remote system or cloud and the video is being streamed to you like netflix or youtube. Your controller inputs and then sent back to the remote system and you play the game. MS is trying to share computing between your local xbox and the cloud. The amount of data flow back and forth required to do that is not feasibly possible with many internet networks. It isn't that cloud computing is impossible or doesn't work.. we just don't have the internet infrastructure to support something on that scale.. not yet. It will be years before something like that can be done reliably.
#19IzraeilPosted 4/27/2014 4:04:47 PM
LotrMorgoth posted...
I find it amusing that essentially the future of sony-gaming being driven by the cloud (their belief) means required internet connection (my understanding)

and that is what everyone was so upset about with MS

It IS the future, MS made the mistake of thinking it was the present. Maybe in a decade when this gen is over internet infrastructure will have improved enough to not have traditional consoles but that time sure as hell is not now.
#20nableetPosted 4/27/2014 4:05:52 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
BSerenity posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...

Ms want to use the cloud to help with the processes that the console is too weak to handle. It would run along side the CPU/GPU to take away some of the burden, in theory.

Sony want to stream a whole game to your device, which is running fully elsewhere.

The PS Vita can already stream and play PS4 games and this is a similar premise. The MS idea is as yet unproven.
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff