so it looks like the future is this...

#21BSerenityPosted 4/27/2014 5:13:10 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
BSerenity posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...
But the cloud can't do gaming. All the sony guys swear it's just a buzz word. Many of them claim to be IT guys.

There is a key difference between what Sony is going for and MS. At least get that right.

So you didn't read this part huh?

If PlayStation Now is a success, it could be immensely beneficial to Sony -- shifting from a hardware/software business model to a cloud-based service model would open up a number of opportunities while simultaneously limiting risks.

Sony would no longer need to worry about designing, building, and shipping a new low-margin PlayStation every few years, and it could cut could out traditional retail middlemen. Regular subscription revenue would likely prove more stable than seasonal software demand.

Also, what is the difference you speak of if they are going to move towards cloud gaming?

I read it. One is streaming the game (Sony). The other is off-loading/processing data on a server (MS). I don't have a problem with Cloud Computing or Cloud Gaming (streaming). They have been a thing for years now. The problem comes from people thinking Cloud Computing is going to increase the power of set console specifications.

Gaming is and has been slowly moving towards Digital Distribution (Cloud). Nothing new here.

People need to seriously stop trying to spin this into an argument to continue the console war bs. Of course, it would be coming from people who also want to complain about the state of the board. Hypocritical back and forth nonsense.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#22mokmuudPosted 4/27/2014 5:21:30 PM
PS Now is pretty badass. I think it will take off pretty well.
---
PSN: Mokmuud live gamertag: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#23ejay8320Posted 4/27/2014 5:27:41 PM
squarex8264 posted...
That's not exactly what I took the article to say...

Sony is just saying that they feel the future in gaming is going to be through cloud services. This isn't too surprising since Microsoft has been saying this as well since last year E3. At least now that Sony is onboard with the vision, most of the trolls on this board won't be lambasting Microsoft for the notion of gaming as a service :)

...No what people were saying is splitting the processing between console and the cloud is pointless its either one or the other...
#24BoxTheMuppetPosted 4/27/2014 5:36:56 PM
nableet posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...
BSerenity posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...
But the cloud can't do gaming. All the sony guys swear it's just a buzz word. Many of them claim to be IT guys.

There is a key difference between what Sony is going for and MS. At least get that right.

If PlayStation Now is a success, it could be immensely beneficial to Sony -- shifting from a hardware/software business model to a cloud-based service model would open up a number of opportunities while simultaneously limiting risks.

Sony would no longer need to worry about designing, building, and shipping a new low-margin PlayStation every few years, and it could cut could out traditional retail middlemen. Regular subscription revenue would likely prove more stable than seasonal software demand.

Also, what is the difference you speak of if they are going to move towards cloud gaming?

Ms want to use the cloud to help with the processes that the console is too weak to handle. It would run along side the CPU/GPU to take away some of the burden, in theory.

Sony want to stream a whole game to your device, which is running fully elsewhere.

The PS Vita can already stream and play PS4 games and this is a similar premise. The MS idea is as yet unproven.

So how would streaming games handle multiplayer like bf4? Can the cloud render everything on screen as well as keep track of all players in real time?

If ms can't offload real time how can sony?

Also, you will need a constant strong Internet signal (always online), and you wouldn't own the games be able to trade or share...am I missing the part where this is cool for Sony but bad for MS to do?
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#25PorungaPosted 4/27/2014 5:40:22 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
nableet posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...
BSerenity posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...

Ms want to use the cloud to help with the processes that the console is too weak to handle. It would run along side the CPU/GPU to take away some of the burden, in theory.

Sony want to stream a whole game to your device, which is running fully elsewhere.

The PS Vita can already stream and play PS4 games and this is a similar premise. The MS idea is as yet unproven.

So how would streaming games handle multiplayer like bf4? Can the cloud render everything on screen as well as keep track of all players in real time?

If ms can't offload real time how can sony?

Also, you will need a constant strong Internet signal (always online), and you wouldn't own the games be able to trade or share...am I missing the part where this is cool for Sony but bad for MS to do?

Most of the arguments about always online and the like was that it was the first time a console had attempted to do this for physical media. They didn't like that. Those kinds of restrictions and DRM has been for digital media for quite some time and people have accepted that. Physical media? Not so much.
#26Stefmeister7Posted 4/27/2014 7:06:54 PM
holy crap! what's going to happen now if microsoft shuts down their xbox division and sony relies on cloud services??? time to move to nintendo!
#27TiredofhearinguPosted 4/27/2014 7:13:47 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...
MichelleRhee posted...
Has their ever been a development studio that MS bought that didn't eventually get shut down?

Bungie
Lionhead
Twisted Pixel
Press Play
Rare
Bigpark

ewww
#28darkphiresagePosted 4/27/2014 8:00:46 PM(edited)
lol
Please. We're still not sure how this fight over privatizing the internet will go. Banking on cloud services, streaming and all digital gaming will be the worst mistake ever made if those jackasses literally win the internets. Anyway, the risk is too high. Consoles are too big a business to just fall off, especially since they're not just gaming machines anymore.

Edit: forgot to mention the number of people who still have data caps. A streaming service replacing consoles will never work. Data capped people, people with slow internet and people with no internet all together is a huge chunk of the market. Say goodbye to all that revenue. If the net is privatized and data charges go through the roof, no one will be gaming if streaming is all we have.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#29SneakiestNegPosted 4/27/2014 7:38:15 PM
Streaming games? I do not know. My internet connection could handle it I guess. But I really dislike relying on my ISP so much. Waiting for them to send me a new modem right now.
#30DBGBPosted 4/27/2014 8:07:21 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...

But...but the Cloud can do gaming! Because Microsoft said so! Xbox One will then no longer produce 792p and 900p games. It shall now be the norm of 2376p or 2700p because it's 3 times the power! It's a shame it will be a year away to start my own Salt company with Xbone fangirl tears when they realized they've been duped......again. :)~
---
Can Xbone fan's purchase 792p or 900p TV's yet to get that Native resolution on screen yet?