Science behind- Mark Cerny says what does/doesn't work with cloud

#41dnmtPosted 4/28/2014 1:15:12 AM
SparkItUp posted...
Combo626 posted...
Aceviper posted...
Combo626 posted...
Aceviper posted...
So what exactly is your problem with a prominent figure in the gaming industry talking about a technology that the XBone is using?

Is it because he is with Sony?

So what if it was someone else? Would you start going off on them too?

I almost took your response seriously until you used XBone.

So you have no response?

Other than to talk about your hatred for a common nickname that is accepted by even MS themselves?

Sounds like the mods should be doing something about you instead of this topic. You haven't contributed a single thing other than whine about how you don't like it

Says Mark Cerny is a prominent figure that can tell no lies, Larry Hyrb isn't a prominent figure and he's always lying.

Your actually comparing someone who is considered the lead architect of the PS4 to someone that is a PR guy? I really felt this way about your answer Combo...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Cerny is nothing short of a modern day wizard. I recommend that everyone read this article about all the amazing stuff he pulled to make the first Crash Bandicoot:

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

It's long but super interesting.
#42ExnoobishPosted 4/28/2014 1:21:25 AM
Nights2K posted...
No it's the fact no MS employees has ever took shots at anything Sony have done, they are just keeping there heads down, Sony on the other hand are like little children taking pot shots at everything MS do,

Sony are a company whos rep is to copy company's and then take pot shots to make them selves look good. I bet 70% of people only brought a ps4 because of the shots they took at MS at e3

The ignorance is strong in this one.
#43Combo626Posted 4/28/2014 1:40:10 AM
SparkItUp posted...
Combo626 posted...
Aceviper posted...
Combo626 posted...
Aceviper posted...
So what exactly is your problem with a prominent figure in the gaming industry talking about a technology that the XBone is using?

Is it because he is with Sony?

So what if it was someone else? Would you start going off on them too?

I almost took your response seriously until you used XBone.

So you have no response?

Other than to talk about your hatred for a common nickname that is accepted by even MS themselves?

Sounds like the mods should be doing something about you instead of this topic. You haven't contributed a single thing other than whine about how you don't like it

Says Mark Cerny is a prominent figure that can tell no lies, Larry Hyrb isn't a prominent figure and he's always lying.

Your actually comparing someone who is considered the lead architect of the PS4 to someone that is a PR guy? I really felt this way about your answer Combo...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

"Hey Combo626, this is how I feel about you. I swear, it'll be funny, but my crappy joke is going to fall flat unless you take the time to participate in it. Would you mind doing me a favor and copying this link, pasting it in your browser and loading it? It'll only take a couple of minutes to watch it, but I promise it'll make sense once it's over."
---
PREPARE FOR BATTTTTLLEEEE! - Frieza/Shao Kahn
#44Styrof0amPosted 4/28/2014 2:03:07 AM
BushidoEffect3 posted...
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/17/ps4s-mark-cerny-explains-what-works-and-what-doesnt-work-with-cloud-computing/

Interesting.

It doesn't look like the devs are looking for graphical improvements with the cloud. Exactly what they're looking to do is ... well fluffy. We've only seen Forza5 and TF actuaally use the cloud for something other than dedicated servers, and only on a small scale.
John Shiring (Respawn Entertainment engineer) has this to say about the cloud ...

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

Somewhat long read, but worth your time.
---

No commentary. Gameplay only ... http://www.youtube.com/user/kyllingefod
#45Bellum_SacrumPosted 4/28/2014 3:37:41 AM
Styrof0am posted...
John Shiring (Respawn Entertainment engineer) has this to say about the cloud ...

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

Somewhat long read, but worth your time.

That article by the Respawn guy was what had hit the nail in the head back when it had come out. "The cloud" has been a marketing buzzword to attract American investors' attention for the last 7 (or more) years. Hell, I've personally participated in start-ups engineered specifically to be sold to uninformed American investors.

This eventually caught on and companies became so desperate to associate themselves with "the cloud" to the point that any form of online servers were baptized "the cloud", leading to Microsoft's embarrassing statements and the Respawn guy tactfully claiming that the term doesn't really mean anything anymore.

Cloud gaming is neither new, nor extremely high tech. It's just a convenient implementation that can be used to force consumers into a subscription-based model, under the pretense that owning the actual hardware would be too expensive for them. It is also a form of DRM that prevents piracy while casting a veil of control over rentals, game sharing, and used sales.

In short, it's exactly what this failing industry needs to squeeze some life out of the rotting carcass of its business model, and it's the reason it's being promoted as "the future of gaming" now and not ten years ago.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#46Jason_HudsonPosted 4/28/2014 3:49:46 AM
Xbox Fans need to accept it - the Xbox One's cloud computing isn't the Holy Grail Microsoft promised. It's just another useless feature that sounds good on paper, but it just doesn't make up for the weak hardware.

Microsoft used it as a selling point to try to justify selling the Xbox One at such a high price tag, knowing full well they were just duping people into buying it. The "infinite power of the cloud" is a lie.

But you know, I feel bad for those that bought the Xbox One thinking it was going to become this great system. They're now stuck with a system that can barely manage 720p, requires Kinect all the time and they had to pay $100 extra on top of all of that.
---
PC is the only place to play games at their true potential
1080p/60fps standard, upgradable, mods, FOV sliders, ultra graphics - it's backwards compatible too
#47TeraPatrick2008Posted 4/28/2014 3:51:11 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#48Styrof0amPosted 4/28/2014 4:04:07 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
In short, it's exactly what this failing industry needs to squeeze some life out of the rotting carcass of its business model, and it's the reason it's being promoted as "the future of gaming" now and not ten years ago.

Actually, I think sega did promote "burst computing" with the saturn ... or maybe it's just my flakey memory acting up (^^,)

Jason_Hudson posted...
Xbox Fans need to accept it - the Xbox One's cloud computing isn't the Holy Grail Microsoft promised. It's just another useless feature that sounds good on paper, but it just doesn't make up for the weak hardware.

I agree that it's not the holy grail, or a gamechanger for that matter, but I wouldn't call it useless. Forza5 and TF are pretty much POCs of what it can be used for. Devs will likely implement it better in the future. Personally i wouldn't mind an even bigger Viking - Battle for Asgard with 1000+ orcs and vikings battling it out on the plains of Vigrid
---

No commentary. Gameplay only ... http://www.youtube.com/user/kyllingefod
#49Anarchy612Posted 4/28/2014 4:17:29 AM
Styrof0am posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...

Actually, I think sega did promote "burst computing" with the saturn ... or maybe it's just my flakey memory acting up (^^,)

Jason_Hudson posted...

I agree that it's not the holy grail, or a gamechanger for that matter, but I wouldn't call it useless. Forza5 and TF are pretty much POCs of what it can be used for. Devs will likely implement it better in the future. Personally i wouldn't mind an even bigger Viking - Battle for Asgard with 1000+ orcs and vikings battling it out on the plains of Vigrid

I believe it was "blast processing"
---
Every time I finish a Studio Ghibli film, I just don't want to live in reality anymore. It just takes my breath away.
#50SneakiestNegPosted 4/28/2014 4:17:49 AM
The only cloud that I have seen changed everything is P2P networking.