The "Don't like it, don't buy it" attitude towards add-ons in games is stupid...

#21Far-QueuePosted 4/28/2014 4:56:22 AM
Why do you think so many studios have been shuttered in recent years? The used game market is killing devs and publishers. With all the losses in profits piling up, they have to find other means to generate income.

It's becoming more and more expensive to build games, to the point where we're losing the "mid-tier" or "AA" game. It's all make-it-or-break-it, big-budget AAA titles or small-time indie games, less and less in between as studios try to figure out how to turn a profit in a very competitive market.

Used game sales kill game studios. Plain and simple. If you want to see an end to DLC/expansions/what have you, buy new and encourage others to do the same. (Although to be honest, now that this gate is open it's unlikely ever to be shut.)

Still, used games are very much part of the "problem". DLC is part of the solution. Video game makers are not charity organizations. They need money. They want money. If you want more games, they need your money to sustain them. This is simple business.
---
http://i.imgur.com/c4X8P0n.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wETmLaR.jpg
#22MidnightJacketPosted 4/28/2014 4:59:49 AM
I understand the argument you're making jedi, but I just don't see this as being a particularly big issue. What's more likely driving all these side purchases, IMO, is inflation and the relatively steady price of games over the last 2-3 decades. In the US atleast, we've seen the price of games jump from 50 dollars to 60 - that's not bad. I think we've benefitted alot from an explosion in growth so there have been more people paying that 50-60 dollars over time which has helped keep prices steady. As inflation continues developers may not be able to afford to make the same game for a deflated price that they were able to even 10 years prior - so they offer alternative content for that higher % of gamers who are willing to pay a little extra to offset costs and the gamer is rewarded with either a few extra hours of gaming or a couple unique cars/skins/whatever for their trouble.

I'm far more dissapointed in MMORPGs. While everyone loves the new "free to play model", what we've really seen is a "free to play, pay to win" model rise up. IF that type of play switches over to console gaming, I'd start being a bit more concerned and maybe swap over to your side.
#23Sega9599Posted 4/28/2014 5:01:50 AM
Jedi454 posted...
2001: "Don't like paying for expansion packs, don't buy it."

2008: "Don't like paying for DLC, don't buy it."

2011: "Don't like paying for microtransactions, don't buy it."

2014: "Don't like paying for demos, don't buy it."

201?: "Don't like paying for on-disc content, don't buy it."

Am I right? Gamers can be quite ridiculous with this kind of mentality in my opinion. If everybody stood up and said "This is getting out of control." Season passes would probably not exist and less DLC would surface, except for higher quality DLC. Microtransactions would be dead if people didn't pay for them and games would be taken back to the 90's, where they were just made for a creative vision.

EA$ are a prime example of taking advantage of the consumers and people have blindly accepted these practices.

The thing is, DLC doesn't automatically mean over-priced content that should be free to all consumers from day 1.
And it's really silly how people act as if in the 90s this stuff didn't happen. Better to buy Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo and then Super Street Fighter, am I right?
Let's not forget Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#24robat223Posted 4/28/2014 5:07:40 AM
I was definitely on the train of "if some people end up buying it then it will get worse for all of us soon." I was right. The slippery slope fallacy may be a fallacy, but hey sometimes it actually does turn out that way.
---
Gamertag= Robat93
PSN= thegreatusurper
#25leatheljPosted 4/28/2014 5:24:56 AM
Don't like it don't buy it. It is a legit arguement same as vote with your wallet. Don't like kinect don't buy xb1. Simple as that it applys to every thing.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#26NairodmaticPosted 4/28/2014 5:28:14 AM
Megaman Omega posted...
I wish it were like it was 20 years ago when you just buy the game and have the game. The "Ultimate Edition". No DLC scams, no over-reliance on online multiplayer modes, no installs, no horribly bugged releases solely because they are able to make patches. Just one cartridge with the entire game and its saves on it.

But yeah, it looks like people don't like that, so enjoy having companies like EA spend half their time thinking of new ways to scam people with DLC.

Rancid_Skank posted...
In my opinion, all these things are no worse than 'Collectors Editions' or 'Legendary Editions' that arrive on day one of a game release - you're still paying more for stuff that was ready for the vanilla launch and wasn't included, just in a different format.

There's no problem with a CE if it's just some extra merchandise. If there's extra content or DLC with it, then that sucks, however. My opinion is that people should just be able to go and buy the complete, full game without having to separately buy DLC and chase after merchandise that is jut used to hold more DLC hostage.

It's like you took what I was thinking a formed it into a coherent post. Plug and play all day, baybay.

Since internet connectivity to consoles took off, the industry has been adding these "features" that are detrimental in my opinion.

As far as relating this to the topic:

Jedi454 posted...
"Don't like paying for expansion packs, don't buy it."

"Don't like paying for DLC, don't buy it."

"Don't like paying for microtransactions, don't buy it."

"Don't like paying for demos, don't buy it."

"Don't like paying for on-disc content, don't buy it."

I don't do any of those. I'll throw in a few more:

Don't pay more to play multiplayer on consoles.

Don't buy digital titles.

Don't pay more than $29.99 for new games.

As a matter of fact, I buy almost every title used because these games aren't worth $59.99. This industry is not exempt, and should not be exempt from the used market.
---
Gaming since '82. Born in Detroit. Raised in Detroit. Live in Detroit. Play in Detroit. Work in Detroit. I am Detroit.
#27Rancid_SkankPosted 4/28/2014 5:36:02 AM
robat223 posted...
I was definitely on the train of "if some people end up buying it then it will get worse for all of us soon." I was right. The slippery slope fallacy may be a fallacy, but hey sometimes it actually does turn out that way.

This is very subjective.

Using FPS games for example, many people like to play them long term - a couple of years or more. Considering many FPS games ship with 12 maps (or less at times) people are generally crying out for new content after a few months.

If the dev team creates and drip feeds extra maps in packs of 4 over an 18 month period after launch it's going to keep these people interested, keep them playing, and attract new players as the title is obviously being well supported.

Then throw in a season pass to get all these new maps at a reduced rate (with sometimes even a few nice extras - see BF4) - how can this be considered a bad thing by anyone?

Even microtransactions can have their place - I recently went back to a game from XBLA that I bought years ago and bored of at the time, but now was revisiting it looking to 'complete' it. The game itself probably cost me about 4 quid when I got it, but when I went back to it I saw that the in game store had been updated with loads of additional weapons and costumes after launch that added in game benefits. I could have carried on playing and finished the game with the base content, but for an extra 3 or so I got a load of new items AND near unlimited lives that meant it was far more fun when I played through it with a friend online - again, how is this a bad thing? It kept me interested years after release, and gave the devs more income.

I have money, I want to spend it on games and game content. This mindset bleeds into the 'great Capcom debate'. Why should the vocal minority who cry on the internet because Capcom have released a new iteration of Street Fighter dictate what I want? I like Street Fighter. I particularly like Street Fighter IV. If they care to throw an update out for 15 with a few extra characters, some new moves, and a few balance tweaks then I will throw my money back at them and enjoy it. Why should that then bother anyone else?

The moaners in this thread can keep playing their handful of games with no DLC/microtransactions and their principles (as obviously, with all the crying and verbal boycotts they do online they wouldn't be hypocritical and go out and buy games that resort to these 'shady' practices anyway would they?), and I'll carry on with my 250+ 360 games (to date) I have on my gamer card, along with my 4 versions of Final Fantasy 4, 3 versions of SFIV, season passes for Bioshock Infinite and Battlefield 4, and eagerly await new Titanfall maps without them.
---
GT: RancidSkank
PSN: Rancid_UK
#28CarpetfluffPosted 4/28/2014 5:36:22 AM
Don't kids yourself that if they'd had easy ways to monetize games in the past that they wouldn't have. They used to have to rely on spin-offs for extra revenue; tv shows, toys and other merchandise. Now they don't.
#29Rancid_SkankPosted 4/28/2014 5:42:24 AM
Nairodmatic posted...

I don't do any of those. I'll throw in a few more:

Don't pay more to play multiplayer on consoles.

Don't buy digital titles.

Don't pay more than $29.99 for new games.

As a matter of fact, I buy almost every title used because these games aren't worth $59.99. This industry is not exempt, and should not be exempt from the used market.

I'd love to see your gamercard... It must have been a fairly barren gaming generation for you considering most of the big AAA releases have DLC and multiplayer, and the XBLA had some of the best games all gen.

What did you play, Perfect Dark Zero for 8 years? :/
---
GT: RancidSkank
PSN: Rancid_UK
#30AteasPosted 4/28/2014 5:42:35 AM
Jedi454 posted...
2001: "Don't like paying for expansion packs, don't buy it."

2008: "Don't like paying for DLC, don't buy it."

2011: "Don't like paying for microtransactions, don't buy it."

2014: "Don't like paying for demos, don't buy it."

201?: "Don't like paying for on-disc content, don't buy it."

Am I right? Gamers can be quite ridiculous with this kind of mentality in my opinion. If everybody stood up and said "This is getting out of control." Season passes would probably not exist and less DLC would surface, except for higher quality DLC. Microtransactions would be dead if people didn't pay for them and games would be taken back to the 90's, where they were just made for a creative vision.

EA$ are a prime example of taking advantage of the consumers and people have blindly accepted these practices.

Whole post is contradictory. The best way to take a stand is not to buy it. You vote with your dollar. As long as people keep buying it, they'll keep selling it.