The "Don't like it, don't buy it" attitude towards add-ons in games is stupid...

#41robat223Posted 4/28/2014 6:17:10 AM
Blade_Kirby posted...
This topic is stupid.

"Don't like it don't buy it" is the EXACT response consumers should be using when they don't like a business' practices.

Speak with your wallet, move on with your life, and let others do the same.

Just doesn't work that way. "Don't like it don't buy it" would have caused segregation to perpetuate much longer than it actually did thanks to legislation.
---
Gamertag= Robat93
PSN= thegreatusurper
#42AceviperPosted 4/28/2014 6:19:14 AM
So TC, you are supporting speaking out against bad practices that hurts the consumers

So why are you always spouting troll and mocking everyone who is speaking out about the bad practices MS did with the XBone?
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#43robat223Posted 4/28/2014 6:20:23 AM
Rancid_Skank posted...
robat223 posted...

I paid for Halo 2 maps when they came out. They were made free later down the line. Similar with certain Halo 3 map packs - paid at first, free a few years later when the player base dropped off.

Even so, where's the incentive for developers to make additional content for free? maybe if a game is failing it would be a way to boost purchases of the main game, but otherwise why would they? We would still be in the realm of Mortal Kombat 2 with a handful of maps for the duration of it's existence.

If anything, it's progress.

The incentive for the developers is clear. If you treat your customers well in Halo 2 then they are more likely to speak well of it (increasing Halo 2 sales) and perhaps more importantly are more likely to buy Halo 3. People wonder why Capcom is kind of struggling... well just maybe you took your customers for granted one too many times. SimCity sold well despite its PR disaster, but how will the Sims 4 do?

I've already established that the maps weren't free for Halo 2, they were made free later down the line, but you had to buy them at release.

Please stop stating incorrect statements. Not all Halo 2 maps were paid. "The Bonus map pack was released on April 25, 2005, as a free download sponsored by Mountain Dew."

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Map_Packs
---
Gamertag= Robat93
PSN= thegreatusurper
#44Mr_Fury32Posted 4/28/2014 6:29:02 AM
if i dont like or want something i dont get it, it's as simple as that, dont try and force OPINION on others as fact.

if i like something i buy it, but i dont come on here and spout my oppinion like fact, people need to quit doing THAT.

too many people get butt-hurt by the truth of things, your argument is senseless, what would have people instead? i notice you have not really touched that, if your going to make an argument, please make one that makes sense.
---
WANTED: DEFIANCE AND RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS PS3 players
System ID's :PSN ID: Auron-32, Xbox LIVE: AzzTheStickman. I'm in the U.K. so thats 0GMT
#45Rancid_SkankPosted 4/28/2014 6:30:51 AM
robat223 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...
robat223 posted...

I paid for Halo 2 maps when they came out. They were made free later down the line. Similar with certain Halo 3 map packs - paid at first, free a few years later when the player base dropped off.

Even so, where's the incentive for developers to make additional content for free? maybe if a game is failing it would be a way to boost purchases of the main game, but otherwise why would they? We would still be in the realm of Mortal Kombat 2 with a handful of maps for the duration of it's existence.

If anything, it's progress.

The incentive for the developers is clear. If you treat your customers well in Halo 2 then they are more likely to speak well of it (increasing Halo 2 sales) and perhaps more importantly are more likely to buy Halo 3. People wonder why Capcom is kind of struggling... well just maybe you took your customers for granted one too many times. SimCity sold well despite its PR disaster, but how will the Sims 4 do?

I've already established that the maps weren't free for Halo 2, they were made free later down the line, but you had to buy them at release.

Please stop stating incorrect statements. Not all Halo 2 maps were paid. "The Bonus map pack was released on April 25, 2005, as a free download sponsored by Mountain Dew."

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Map_Packs

OK, one map pack was subsidised by Bungie tying in their advertising for Halo 2 with Mountain Dew, the other 3 were paid. This is grasping at straws from yourself to support a massively flawed argument. How does Bungie receiving $$$ from Mountain Dew equate to treating their customers with any kind of respect? It's part of their overall aim - making money.

You also ignored everything else from the post?

Please dig up another pointless link from the internet that somehow proves that people who enjoy DLC/microtransactions are in the wrong, and you are right.
---
GT: RancidSkank
PSN: Rancid_UK
#46Rancid_SkankPosted 4/28/2014 6:35:11 AM(edited)
Nairodmatic posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...
Nairodmatic posted...

I don't do any of those. I'll throw in a few more:

Don't pay more to play multiplayer on consoles.

Don't buy digital titles.

Don't pay more than $29.99 for new games.

As a matter of fact, I buy almost every title used because these games aren't worth $59.99. This industry is not exempt, and should not be exempt from the used market.

I'd love to see your gamercard... It must have been a fairly barren gaming generation for you considering most of the big AAA releases have DLC and multiplayer, and the XBLA had some of the best games all gen.

What did you play, Perfect Dark Zero for 8 years? :/

Whoops, didn't realize this was an Xbox forum. I won't start "hatin" on MS though, I'll just say their consoles aren't for me. :)

I actually took the time to add (most) of the games that I own on the collections feature of this website. Just click my username.

I'd like to think that I have a few AAA's-that I bought used-and I enjoyed almost all of them, too.

I'm a solo gamer. I *rarely* even do couch co-op. DLC, f*** that.

...You know what, as long as the DLC doesn't "affect the main storyline", then whatever. I still won't buy it, though.

Oh yeah, never played Perfect Dark Zero. I have PD on 64 though. Good game.

*Buys all his games used*

*Wonders why developers rely on DLC/Microtransactions for extra revenue*

You are a genius.

EDIT: Double post, sorry guys... :(
---
GT: RancidSkank
PSN: Rancid_UK
#47Blade_KirbyPosted 4/28/2014 6:40:48 AM
robat223 posted...
Blade_Kirby posted...
This topic is stupid.

"Don't like it don't buy it" is the EXACT response consumers should be using when they don't like a business' practices.

Speak with your wallet, move on with your life, and let others do the same.

Just doesn't work that way. "Don't like it don't buy it" would have caused segregation to perpetuate much longer than it actually did thanks to legislation.

You are equating microtransactions in a leisurely entertainment hobby to a serious ethical issue concerning fundamental human rights.

LOL.

Don't worry, when you grow up you'll understand how the world works.
---
"Ok when Terramorphous dies we're all gonna whip our ***** out and whoever has the biggest one gets all the loot." - Gnarrkill
#48HorridhalPosted 4/28/2014 6:41:20 AM
Considering that you make this same argument(don't like it don't buy it)constantly when I comes to your precious X1, I can't take your post seriously.

You are a hypocrite, TC.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#49regsantotomasPosted 4/28/2014 6:41:38 AM
The best way I can affect things is by voting with my wallet on what solutions I support.

That isn't to say that the industry always goes my way. It doesn't. There are instances where these monetization strategies are abused.

Lamenting about things out of my control seems like an incredible waste of time and energy.

Ultimately, the free market will adjust accordingly to perceived abusive policies. The gaming industry will continue evolve and you can either be part of that or be simply left behind.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#50koujimorenoPosted 4/28/2014 6:47:45 AM
Doesn't matter cause people will buy whatever anyways, because...self control.