The "Don't like it, don't buy it" attitude towards add-ons in games is stupid...

#51Rancid_SkankPosted 4/28/2014 6:48:53 AM
Horridhal posted...
Considering that you make this same argument(don't like it don't buy it)constantly when I comes to your precious X1, I can't take your post seriously.

You are a hypocrite, TC.

Exactly.

There are people (myself included) who liked what the X1 has to offer and bought it - if you don't, then simply don't buy one.

It doesn't make the people who bought one any less 'right' (if that's what the argument even is) than the people who didn't buy one. It does however, make you seem ridiculous when you spend the day on an internet forum trying to prove your choice is more valid than anyone elses...

Personal preference, people will buy what they want to buy, and enjoy what they want to enjoy. The vocal minority on the internet might have you think the X1 is failing, just as they slaughter another Capcom rerelease, bash the Wii/Wii U, and consider DLC and microtransactions the ultimate insult. However all these things sell fairly well and in some cases incredibly well.

The few hundred people that post on Gamefaqs is not equal to the community as a whole. Enjoy what you want - buy what you want.

Children gonna children.
---
GT: RancidSkank
PSN: Rancid_UK
#52Fou LuPosted 4/28/2014 6:55:37 AM
I don't get it... Am I supposed to buy something I don't want?.. Because with Borderlands 2, I hated the game's ending, so I refused to buy any DLC beyond a few costumes, Krieg, and the level cap increase. Should I have just bought all the other DLC I didn't want just for the sake of spending money?
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#53wh0_kn0wsPosted 4/28/2014 7:06:11 AM
Ateas posted...
Whole post is contradictory. The best way to take a stand is not to buy it. You vote with your dollar. As long as people keep buying it, they'll keep selling it.

---
it's simple. just be nice.
#54robat223Posted 4/28/2014 7:07:50 AM
To act like I can't try and persuade people to not to continue ruin an industry that I have derived some enjoyment of is kind of ridiculous. The fact is that individuals are weak, groups are strong. If we had taken a united stand against the horse armor, we would be in a much better position than we are now. Developers in fact DO intentionally take out parts of games that would be in the game in 1999 and now release them as DLC. It is really that simple and something worth lamenting.
---
Gamertag= Robat93
PSN= thegreatusurper
#55somebaconPosted 4/28/2014 7:21:56 AM
I think DLC is a rip off. Remember when you had to earn additional content in games by unlocking secrets or earning something in the actual game? That was free.
---
bleisk
#56Rancid_SkankPosted 4/28/2014 7:23:53 AM
robat223 posted...
To act like I can't try and persuade people to not to continue ruin an industry that I have derived some enjoyment of is kind of ridiculous. The fact is that individuals are weak, groups are strong. If we had taken a united stand against the horse armor, we would be in a much better position than we are now. Developers in fact DO intentionally take out parts of games that would be in the game in 1999 and now release them as DLC. It is really that simple and something worth lamenting.

You can't try and dissuade people though, that's the point. Not only are your persuasions aimed at an incredibly small fraction of gamers that frequent online message boards and won't actually make a difference, but even here people like this kind of content to be offered rather than not see it at all.

Yes, even horse armour. I didn't buy it personally, but having sunk around 400 hours into Oblivion I might have done had it appealed to me one drunken Friday night.

I did however, buy the Wizards Tower, Sinkhole Lair, Knights of the Nine and even more DLC that I have now forgotten about for it, and enjoyed them all despite the vast majority of the content being aesthetic only. All this extra content only enhanced the experience, who are you to say that's wrong?

As for 'removing' parts of the game to sell as DLC, in my opinion whatever is released as the 'Vanilla' game is the game. If the developers choose to hold something back and sell it later - so be it, they are in the business of making money. Usually any on disc content is something like a weapon or a costume anyway. It doesn't effect my experience that it's not there, but is a way for developers to earn money for the time they put into the game that they may not see because of piracy or a lack of interest. The odd costume being included on the disc won't gain any extra sales, but being sold as extra content will give them extra revenue.

If a developer held back the end to the game as DLC, I just wouldn't buy it. Some schools of thought felt that's what happened with ME3, despite having played and enjoyed ME 1 and 2 I skipped 3.

Again, people will like what they want to like. You acting like a martyr and dreaming of a time that you most likely didn't even purchase your own games (correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't seem like the kind of person who spent the 90s working and earning going from your posts?) is quite funny.
---
#57NairodmaticPosted 4/28/2014 7:24:44 AM
*Buys all his games used*

*Wonders why developers rely on DLC/Microtransactions for extra revenue*

You are a genius.

EDIT: Double post, sorry guys... :(

Take it easy.

Extra revenue should be just that, extra. If they have to depend on it, i.e. the sales of the initial product aren't enough, then it sounds like they're doing something wrong as a business.

I don't feel that these games are worth $59.99 new. Therefore, I don't pay that price.

If you're good with DLC and micros, knock yourself out. I'm not, therefore, I don't pay that price.
---
Gaming since '82. Born in Detroit. Raised in Detroit. Live in Detroit. Play in Detroit. Work in Detroit. I am Detroit.
#58Rancid_SkankPosted 4/28/2014 7:42:20 AM(edited)
Nairodmatic posted...
*Buys all his games used*

*Wonders why developers rely on DLC/Microtransactions for extra revenue*

You are a genius.

EDIT: Double post, sorry guys... :(

Take it easy.

Extra revenue should be just that, extra. If they have to depend on it, i.e. the sales of the initial product aren't enough, then it sounds like they're doing something wrong as a business.

I don't feel that these games are worth $59.99 new. Therefore, I don't pay that price.

If you're good with DLC and micros, knock yourself out. I'm not, therefore, I don't pay that price.

That's fair enough, I agree and have said many times ITT that it's down to player choice.

However, it's pretty funny that you seem to feel games aren't worth the asking price and DLC/Transactions are ruining the industry, yet on the same score happily announce that you hardly ever buy games new.

EDIT:
If they have to depend on it, i.e. the sales of the initial product aren't enough, then it sounds like they're doing something wrong as a business.

An ever growing school of thought within the industry believe the thing they are doing wrong that is impacting the initial sales of their product is allowing a used games market. Hence the rise in digital and mobile gaming, and the first tentative steps into console based DRM that we almost got with the X1 (and will eventually get stuck with in a future generation for certain).

---
#59hitechnoPosted 4/28/2014 7:41:30 AM
malus288 posted...
One of the few Jedi threads I agree with.

Maybe it's a Jedi mind trick! Maybe it's a trap!
---
Avid video game player and collector; residing in Japan.
PSN: hitechno 3DS: 3153-4304-6713
#60Snazzy21Posted 4/28/2014 7:46:18 AM
I have no problem with regular DLC, stuff made after the game was released to drum up interest in the game. My main problems are with Micro Transaction and On Disc DLC particularly the latter. These are just blatant cash grabs and are wrong on so many levels.
---
3DS Friend code 4613-7498-1738