Most theoritical PC to X1 builds are dishonest.

#141SoulTrapperPosted 4/30/2014 12:54:53 PM
DerekLoffin posted...
There is a lot of problems with the usual build comparisons I've seen:
1. Often miss the OS or try to present as if free OS is remotely viable.
2. No controller.
3. As this topic points out, no kinect or equivalent.
4. No blu-ray drive
5. Use limited qty discounted parts (so only a very small number of people could get this)
6. And in a few cases, don't even make an equivalent system (less memory, weaker GPU/CPU).

You can indeed make some pretty cheap PCs, but simple fact is, PC gaming isn't a cheap buy in cost.

1.This article includes the OS in it's calculation:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-we-build-a-gaming-pc-on-a-console-budget/1100-6418829/

2. Keyboard and mouse ARE the controller.
If you don't count those as controller, you need to add a keyboard and mouse into the console price as well.

3. Kinect is an optional peripheral.
If you're going to count kinect, you must also count paying for services which are free on PC such as Netflix etc.

4. A blu-ray drive is optional because of Steam, GoG etc and because Netflix and other services are free.
If you're going to count no blu-ray for PC, you have to count no choice in OS, internet explorer or anything else for consoles.

5. Nope, check out the link I posted.

6. Check out the link, all of those PCs are more powerful than the xbox one AND the ps4 and cost around $550, which I consider within the budget.
Add the incredible library and the fact that online is free and you get a much better deal with a PC.

I like both PC and console gaming, but a well put together PC is always a better deal.
#142TenzhiPosted 4/30/2014 1:03:36 PM
If you have to build it yourself, it's not a better deal.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#143mokmuudPosted 4/30/2014 1:20:36 PM
Cheap K/M are not comparable to a quality gamepad. Now a decent gaming keyboard and mouse is different. Kinect is part of the package if you are including it knock $75 off the price and you only have $425. Bluray is also part of the system so would also be required.
---
PSN: Mokmuud live gamertag: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#144macmahon187Posted 4/30/2014 1:41:04 PM
Tenzhi posted...

Lol..... lazy much.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#145Pixx0Posted 4/30/2014 2:02:43 PM
macmahon187 posted...
Tenzhi posted...

Lol..... lazy much.

that's spelled "console gamer" for you, indeed
---
You are ignoring XXX message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#146TenzhiPosted 4/30/2014 3:05:56 PM
I've been a PC gamer, too, and it's been a loathsome experience. But, in any case, convenience has been shown over the years to have value. Ergo, if you truly want a *fair* comparison of value between a console and a PC it has to be an off-the-shelf PC. Unbox it, plug it in, and go.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#147macmahon187Posted 4/30/2014 3:23:23 PM
Tenzhi posted...
I've been a PC gamer, too, and it's been a loathsome experience. But, in any case, convenience has been shown over the years to have value. Ergo, if you truly want a *fair* comparison of value between a console and a PC it has to be an off-the-shelf PC. Unbox it, plug it in, and go.

If you have that mentality then consoles are for u. If reveling in ignorance is your thing then go for it. I learned how to build pc back in 2001 when I took mine apart and upgraded a few things. I've never stopped learning since. Maybe I should just get fat have my mom bring me my frozen meals 3 times a day. When did things taking work become a deterrent to having something nice. I read more now in my 30's more than I ever have. I will never stop learning or progressing as long as I'm able.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#148BoxTheMuppetPosted 4/30/2014 3:29:48 PM
Do these builds also factor in the cost of programs to mimic all the stuff the x1 does?

(I have no clue what pc stuff costs or does anymore. Gave up on pc years ago when tablets came out. I used to game when 56k was high speed internet.)
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#149TenzhiPosted 4/30/2014 3:34:03 PM
Oh, man, 2001... I think it was about 10 years earlier than that when I was first helping a friend cobble together a computer from the parts of three other computers. I can and have done it. And yet, even if I enjoyed doing it it would not change the fact that a fair comparison to a console requires an off-the-shelf PC.
---
#150macmahon187Posted 4/30/2014 4:51:28 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
Do these builds also factor in the cost of programs to mimic all the stuff the x1 does?

(I have no clue what pc stuff costs or does anymore. Gave up on pc years ago when tablets came out. I used to game when 56k was high speed internet.)

No pc's can already do all that stuff without a pay wall.
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser