So they're actually bringing DRM back?

#11TrueBlue91(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 7:03:57 AM
DeadLock25 posted...

PS: This is of course assuming that the feature they implement that uses the cloud is somehow critical to the gameplay. If its not, (as is the case with Forza's driveatars) then you simply wont have the feature. You will still be able to play your game.

The point is they seem to be pushing this cloud BS in a way such that they may very well start claiming it is required for function of a given game (e.g. "Teh grafix dun by teh clawd"), and from there MS will probably try DRM again.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
"This isn't even apples to oranges. More like toast to bears." - Bloodychess
#12cheezedadadaPosted 4/28/2014 7:08:03 AM
bLiNdSnIpErZ20 posted...
My xbox is connected to the internet all the time so it doesn't matter.

This probably applies to just about everyone here. The people who complain about having to always be connected are actually ALWAYS connected anyways. They wouldn't even know if the system was in place right now or not.
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and everything else.
#13DeadLock25Posted 4/28/2014 7:16:47 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
DeadLock25 posted...

PS: This is of course assuming that the feature they implement that uses the cloud is somehow critical to the gameplay. If its not, (as is the case with Forza's driveatars) then you simply wont have the feature. You will still be able to play your game.

The point is they seem to be pushing this cloud BS in a way such that they may very well start claiming it is required for function of a given game (e.g. "Teh grafix dun by teh clawd"), and from there MS will probably try DRM again.

I dont think you fully understand what the cloud is if you call it "bs." It works, its certainly feasible, and it will improve some things, but by how much is still up for debate.

As I said, there will certainly be cases where the cloud is supporting a critical feature of a game and therefore internet connectivity will be required. Titanfall is a good example of this. This however is not Microsofts decision. Its the developers. Microsoft giving the developers the choice to use a very beneficial tool is NOT a bad thing.

Furthermore, somehow extrapolating that an availability of an online only tool will result in the console going back to the policies which made it so infamous in the first place is beyond idiotic. Common sense says that they will not, and cannot afford to, try to bring back DRM. They had great features, but were horribly implemented. If they bring it back, it will be revised, less restrictive, and will only affect digital games. Family sharing is one of the features that would have been great for digital games, especially if you could only use it while online (and it didnt stop you from playing offline) If you dont believe that, then you might be interested to find out MS themselves said they will not be limiting your ability to sell/trade/borrow disk based games.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/360400259437961222#
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244
#14TrueBlue91(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 7:20:40 AM
DeadLock25 posted...
Common sense says that they will not, and cannot afford to, try to bring back DRM.

Hence the stealth re-addition of it. They're obviously not going to blatantly tout it at E3 or something.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#15Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 4/28/2014 7:23:16 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
It seems like it won't be long before we see games with "Cloud-powered" on the back of the case with a little cloud logo, indicating the game MUST be online at all times to utilize said 'power'. Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Eh you have to be online to play Titanfall.
#16ScRuiPosted 4/28/2014 7:28:28 AM
I don't care if its stealth or a national press conference... The so called 'evil MS DRM' was removed and it pissed me off... Now I have to keep switching disc like last gen, I can't let someone play a game that I own unless I give them the disc or come to their house and download it...

I hope they bring it back... If I wanted to do the same thing I did with my ps3 and Xbox 360 I wouldn't have bought both 'next' gen consoles...

Ridiculous on how people get about when things shift foward or change from the norm...
---
"Be Smart @ Being Stupid & You'll NEVER Lose"
<If you ain't #NoseDeep, you ain't doing it right>
#17DeadLock25Posted 4/28/2014 7:29:15 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
DeadLock25 posted...
Common sense says that they will not, and cannot afford to, try to bring back DRM.

Hence the stealth re-addition of it. They're obviously not going to blatantly tout it at E3 or something.

Its not a stealth re addition of anything. DRM was console specific. Cloud computing is game specific. I dont see how one can imply the other unless you are looking solely at the rudimentary elements (both require online) in which case I invite you again look at the tweet that directly answers your question (the person literally asked: "will DRM be coming back")

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/360400259437961222#

You are saying that they will add it without providing any sort of evidence aside from "they have a feature that requires internet" , while I am giving you clear reasons (and a blatant "no" from MS themselves) why they will not.
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244
#18LapanuiPosted 4/28/2014 7:35:11 AM
If they can improve graphics slightly with the power of the cloud, they could probably add an option which has two graphical settings, one for when you are online which improves the graphics, and a normal settings version for those who aren't connected to the internet.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#19TrueBlue91(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 7:40:26 AM
ScRui posted...
I don't care if its stealth or a national press conference... The so called 'evil MS DRM' was removed and it pissed me off... Now I have to keep switching disc like last gen, I can't let someone play a game that I own unless I give them the disc or come to their house and download it...

I hope they bring it back... If I wanted to do the same thing I did with my ps3 and Xbox 360 I wouldn't have bought both 'next' gen consoles...

Ridiculous on how people get about when things shift foward or change from the norm...

I know, how dare people not want their digital rights trampled on? And how dare people care that MS tried to restrict game resale, control resale price and conditions, restrict lending and mess with established concepts of "ownership" of a game. Blasphemy!
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#20-FryShakeWad-Posted 4/28/2014 7:41:52 AM
bLiNdSnIpErZ20 posted...
My xbox is connected to the internet all the time so it doesn't matter.

---
I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the Ultimate Warrior fans. And the spirit of The Ultimate Warrior will run forever! - James Brian Hellwig (R.I.P)