Sales actually do affect you....

#1dart246Posted 4/28/2014 8:24:06 AM
I've seen it posted over and over: "Are you a shareholder? Then why do you care about sales?"

But you should care about sales. Sales result in developer interest. While Microsoft has the money to ensure that games come out for the Xbox One, they are not in the position to demand parity.

Thus if I'm a publisher and I know that twice as many people own the PlayStation than the Xbox, I'm going to ensure that the PlayStation gets the priority. Call it bad or call it mean, but it's business. Due to the hardware of the Xbox One, it takes longer and costs more for better optimization than it's competitor, and if publishers don't believe the cost is worth it due to the install base they won't waste the money.

Sales matter to ensure that you are getting proper quality, otherwise why buy the Xbox instead the PlayStation? Outside of exclusives they are very similar and with Microsoft's differentiation strategy not being well perceived (aka the Kinect), sales will dictate how much effort developers put into that version.

If you are fine getting the lesser version of a game, then more power to you, I however work to hard to accept mediocrity.
---
If welfare could be used for abortions...this would be a much better world...
#2MonicasBackPosted 4/28/2014 8:25:49 AM
Actually I don't. if xbone fails ill buy a PS4. I guess sales do matter if you are a small child who depends on your parents to buy your games console.
---
Monicaaa
#3Kocano26Posted 4/28/2014 8:26:01 AM
Feel better now?
---
Kocano Wins!
#4LooksLikeRainPosted 4/28/2014 8:26:58 AM
If developers want to get the maximum amount of money they can, they're going to make the best games they can for each system.
---
Is that a W shirt?
#5dart246(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 8:28:27 AM
LooksLikeRain posted...
If developers want to get the maximum amount of money they can, they're going to make the best games they can for each system.

But then it's risk vs reward, and the question becomes is it worth the risk? The cost to develop a properly optimized Xbox One game will cost more due to the hardware when compared the PlayStation, is it worth it then?
---
#6Joey-ZazaPosted 4/28/2014 8:28:30 AM
Anyone else a shareholder and think that it should matter to gamers more than to us?

I mean MS is such a large corporation if X-box division does poorly we as shareholders barely notice.
---
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower I
#7Tajaz2426Posted 4/28/2014 8:30:02 AM
Bud, listen people enjoy playing games and talking about them. If you work hard them you shouldn't even be worrying about sales, because your time should be spent working, responsibilities, and gaming if you have time.

Let people make their own decisions about what they like in a product. I have a PS4, but I am very interested in the Xboxone. I want to read the articles and discuss if these future plans pan out for the Xboxone, if it does I'll pick one up.

To sum this up, no publisher is going to sacrifice sales on the One, because it still has a growing gamer core that will buy games. People want to play a game and be happy or be happy playing with their family. Seriousness needs to be left for the real world, not fictional characters or a game box.
#8dart246(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 8:32:35 AM
Tajaz2426 posted...
Bud, listen people enjoy playing games and talking about them. If you work hard them you shouldn't even be worrying about sales, because your time should be spent working, responsibilities, and gaming if you have time.

Let people make their own decisions about what they like in a product. I have a PS4, but I am very interested in the Xboxone. I want to read the articles and discuss if these future plans pan out for the Xboxone, if it does I'll pick one up.

To sum this up, no publisher is going to sacrifice sales on the One, because it still has a growing gamer core that will buy games. People want to play a game and be happy or be happy playing with their family. Seriousness needs to be left for the real world, not fictional characters or a game box.

I want to live in your fictional world where money is irrelevant and plentiful for everyone to have such that games cost nothing to make and aren't a multibillion dollar business.
---
#9LooksLikeRainPosted 4/28/2014 8:32:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10LapanuiPosted 4/28/2014 8:33:31 AM
Actually, publishers aren't going to see those millions of X1 sales and not develop for it, it's not like those owners are just going to stop playing their consoles and not buy any games for it.

7 million + 4.2 million = 13.2 million

13.2 million > 7 million

There are more potential sales by making a game multiplatform then to make it exclusive. The Wii U is an exception. Publishers have tried putting their games on that console and realized it just isn't viable. It's probably costing more to develop for that console than they are gaining through sales.

The X1 and the PS4 are both easy to develop for, so the optimization is going to most likely be vary minimal. I don't know how easy it is to develop for the Wii U, but if developers aren't attracted to it, it can't be that easy.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1