So when did selling a million units make a game a failure?

#1zelda_3003Posted 4/30/2014 12:41:03 AM
A million is a huge number, yes if the game doesn't break even because the cost of development was too high then that's a problem. But I remember not too many years ago when the industry wasn't quite as large as it is now - few games would ever sell over a million, only the huge franchises. It's an impressive number. Games like Ground Zeroes did amazingly well to sell a million units given what the game offers (I loved it by the way).
#2da_StoOgePosted 4/30/2014 12:46:42 AM
When devs saw Call of Duty and decided every single game should be just as popular with the masses, sell just as many copies, and yet cost one hundred times more than the CoD titles take to develop.

And then all of a sudden it's, "Oh, s***! How did our niche stealth genre franchise that we decided to turn into an action game not sell twelve million on release week?!"
---
Being modded without reason since 2035.
#3Shadowfxd2Posted 4/30/2014 12:55:56 AM
it depends on the budget.
#4Cowboy082288Posted 4/30/2014 12:55:59 AM
In some cases a publisher may get only 30% of the profit from a game. So 60 x 1 million x 30% = 18 million. So in that case any game that cost more than 18 million to make would be a net loss at 1 million copies sold.

How much the publisher gets can vary wildly though. But that basic approach tells you how much money they have to make off of the game to make a profit.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#5Spetsnaz420Posted 4/30/2014 1:10:48 AM
If a game doesn't earn a profit over costs it should be considered a failure
---
Searching for my long lost twin, is this you?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#6samurai1900Posted 4/30/2014 1:17:53 AM
Ever since the cost of developing games inflated and went through the roof, and still do.

I wonder when it will be when the system cannot sustain itself anymore.
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#7dementedlullabyPosted 4/30/2014 1:18:36 AM
In the case of MGS it's historically a big franchise that sells consoles, MGS4 is a good example. In 2012 the total was 5m+ copies sold and that is PS3 exclusive. 1m across 4 consoles isn't a great number comparatively.

But as a demo that is basically made to showcase a new engine I'm guessing they did fine.
---
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#8AvirosbPosted 4/30/2014 1:28:54 AM
So when did selling a million units make a game a failure?
I guess around the same time every score below a 7.0 is considered a failure.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#9da_StoOgePosted 4/30/2014 1:30:54 AM
dementedlullaby posted...
In the case of MGS it's historically a big franchise that sells consoles, MGS4 is a good example. In 2012 the total was 5m+ copies sold and that is PS3 exclusive. 1m across 4 consoles isn't a great number comparatively.

But as a demo that is basically made to showcase a new engine I'm guessing they did fine.

Considering that content would have most likely been in the final version of the game otherwise, and would have just sat there for a year or two until they finished up everything else (obviously they wouldn't have rushed to get GZ up and running that early).

So yeah, they'll have done alright.
---
Being modded without reason since 2035.
#10Cowboy082288Posted 4/30/2014 1:39:09 AM
dementedlullaby posted...

Considering that they were selling a DEMO I would say they did amazingly well. They are still going to release a full game. The DEMO used all the same assets that the actual game will use.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni