Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are way behind PC gaming in digital distribution.

#21Tyronelio1Posted 4/30/2014 5:39:34 AM
ejay8320 posted...
While I agree all 3 are still behind in digital distribution, Sony is making great strides in the sales department:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/28/golden-week-sale-celebrates-japanese-games-2/

Still a long ways to go but in the right direction.

Yeah I bought the MGS HD collection, already have the DmC one on the 360 and not much else for me that I don't have on old consoles.
---
Welcome to Sonyfaqs.com.
Currently playing: FF: 13-3, NBA 2K13, Lego: Batman/LotR, DBZ Budokai HD collection, Hitman HD Trilogy and Sacred 2: Fallen Angel.
#22sadiq2010Posted 4/30/2014 7:43:44 AM
i do not care for pc gaming.

ONLY I CARE IS PLAYSTATION AND NINTENDO.

not stupid pc gaming, #deal with it.
#23sadiq2010Posted 4/30/2014 7:45:00 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#24SampsonMPosted 4/30/2014 8:19:53 AM
The closed ecosystem = no competition argument doesn't make much sense.

Sure, once you're inside the respective ecosystems, you're stuck. But both Microsoft and Sony are trying to attract new buyers -- being known for offering aggressive digital discounts would be a way to do that (ie, buy an Xbox One! We offer sales on digital games) much like steam sales are often cited by PC gaming elitists as a primary reason to choose PC gaming.

Also, they have to compete against physical and used games market. Developers don't make any money off used game sales, so as long as used games exist, there's an incentive for them to be aggressive with digital pricing.

On topic, I think Sony and Microsoft WILL get more aggressive with digital sales over time, and copy Steam's model. The problem is that there's not many games for the Xbox One and PS4 right now, and as soon as they copy Steam it will literally drive stores like GameStop, etc. out of business virtually overnight, which is something they don't want to do, at least not right away.

I say give it 1-2 years. Then you'll see an XBL and PSN on par with Steam.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#25LightbornePosted 4/30/2014 8:58:06 AM
SampsonM posted...
The closed ecosystem = no competition argument doesn't make much sense.

Sure, once you're inside the respective ecosystems, you're stuck. But both Microsoft and Sony are trying to attract new buyers -- being known for offering aggressive digital discounts would be a way to do that (ie, buy an Xbox One! We offer sales on digital games) much like steam sales are often cited by PC gaming elitists as a primary reason to choose PC gaming.

Also, they have to compete against physical and used games market. Developers don't make any money off used game sales, so as long as used games exist, there's an incentive for them to be aggressive with digital pricing.

On topic, I think Sony and Microsoft WILL get more aggressive with digital sales over time, and copy Steam's model. The problem is that there's not many games for the Xbox One and PS4 right now, and as soon as they copy Steam it will literally drive stores like GameStop, etc. out of business virtually overnight, which is something they don't want to do, at least not right away.

I say give it 1-2 years. Then you'll see an XBL and PSN on par with Steam.

It still worries me because in the end neither wont compete without enough exclusives.
---
The most wasted of all days is a day without laughter.
#26MixorzPosted 4/30/2014 9:42:23 AM
TC, what you say is true. However, Steam has had a long time to improve its service. Console gaming has basically just started digital distribution last gen, so I'm sure it will improve over time. In the meantime you can still buy physical copies in the store so if it isn't up to par, you don't have to support it.

If they are going to emphasize digital distribution this gen, that's fine, but I would like to see improvements.
---
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
Currently Playing: Titanfall, Killer Instinct, Dark Souls II
#27ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 4/30/2014 11:34:11 AM
I agree that most of the times the sales can be bad, but I do have seen at least a couple of interesting sales on the PSN recently:

A bunch of classic and indie games at 99 cents each (including 3 normally costing $20):
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/28/golden-week-sale-celebrates-japanese-games-2/

The current Golden Week sale:

On the later on-going sale, there's Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, which came out just two months ago, already discounted from $40 to just $10. Same happened to Battle of Z, which came out only 3 months ago and which has been discounted from $60 to $15, PS3 version, and from $40 to $10, Vita version.
#28Ada-Wong-FanPosted 4/30/2014 2:52:39 PM
I Agree all Retail Downloadable version should be 10.00 cheaper then Retail only for first 2 Weeks.
---
My Prediction Release Dates of Final Fantasy XV (Japan Release Date: Christmas 2014) / (International Release Date: January 16 2015)
#29labountiPosted 4/30/2014 3:51:40 PM
Those PC disc versions are not flying of shelves..... 5-7 CD/DVD installs are a thing of the past. Unlimited storage options are a plus.
#30nableetPosted 4/30/2014 4:03:18 PM
Tyronelio1 posted...
suitup19 posted...
PSN has a weekly deals, random sales, flash sales, publisher sales, seasonal sales, etc. PlayStation plus also gets you free games every month. PSN is no steam but you can't deny they aren't giving an effort to compete. Microsoft and Nintendo on the other hand are pretty terrible.

Spoken like a person who has never, ever used xbl before.

Well done sir.

Everything you just said ps+ does, xbl gold does as well.

Ms just had its autum sale + Microsoft publisher sale + Star Wars sale + the flash sale of rocksmith 2014 instead not calling it a flash sale just putting it on sale randomly.

Can't wait to see what the always quality GWG for may are in a few hours.

I've only been using PSN (on my Vita!) since Feb and I have already bought 6 games in the sales. I have been an xbox live gold member for 7 years(!) and think I have bought maybe 4-5 games in that time...

Maybe it is just the games I play, but PSN seems to be making me spend much more than I would like!
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff