MEGATON:Xbox One Parity Clause a 'Shame'

#51SoulTrapperPosted 5/1/2014 11:31:52 PM
Ironcondorz posted...
You do realize the "parity clause" is standard language in most contracts that would apply here? Something like this is commonly known as a "most favored customer clause". I assure you all of the console manufacturers have this clause, because this is how they prevent developers from releasing broken afterthought ports onto their system. This is also why stores get the games at the same time, sell them for the same prices, and also why digital versions are also basically the same price. It is all lumped into the same general concept.

This is just something in the business world to ensure fair treatment. Yes it has drawbacks, but it also prevents companies from buying superior versions or making backroom sweetheart deals, (bribes and such).

That's weird, because apparently Sony doesn't have that "standard language" in their contracts with those devs.

Regardless of it being standard or not, this means xbox one gamers are missing out on a ton of good, cheap games which really help fill up the gap in between the waiting period for the bigger games.
#52IroncondorzPosted 5/2/2014 4:49:53 PM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...
Ironcondorz posted...
You do realize the "parity clause" is standard language in most contracts that would apply here? Something like this is commonly known as a "most favored customer clause". I assure you all of the console manufacturers have this clause, because this is how they prevent developers from releasing broken afterthought ports onto their system. This is also why stores get the games at the same time, sell them for the same prices, and also why digital versions are also basically the same price. It is all lumped into the same general concept.

This is just something in the business world to ensure fair treatment. Yes it has drawbacks, but it also prevents companies from buying superior versions or making backroom sweetheart deals, (bribes and such).

That's weird, because apparently Sony doesn't have that "standard language" in their contracts with those devs.

Regardless of it being standard or not, this means xbox one gamers are missing out on a ton of good, cheap games which really help fill up the gap in between the waiting period for the bigger games.

Yes they do, and the gaming divisions in these companies have no say in it. Their legal depts and the lawyers do. You think the Xbox or PS4 teams actually write out legal documents? These clauses are in there to protect themselves and are no different that the million page legal document you agree to when you play online. Do MS/Sony/Nintendo and the users follow those agreements to the letter? No.

Remember that console manufacturers make their money from licensing and selling dev kits to developers, not actual game or console sales. The only reason a company would have to actively enforce such a policy was if they really cared about their end users experience to an obsessive degree. In reality enforcing a "parity clause" is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you would expect from what many consider "a company that doesn't care about gamers" since it only lowers their profits from licensing as many devs as possible. (Those missing cheap games you mention, right?)
#53cmincPosted 5/2/2014 5:12:26 PM
I have a hard time feeling bad for developers that agreed to very fair and straightfoward terms to get free access to hardware and software, that they'd otherwise have to pay for, only to later decide that those terms were unfair.

Call me crazy.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | I7-4771 Turbo | GTX 770 4GB GDDR5 | Corsair HX 850W |
Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 128 MB Cache HD | RS Challenger Case |
#54Sinizta03Posted 5/2/2014 5:21:15 PM
BaronVladz posted...
wow...I never knew the extend of the parity clause; seems to be harmful to the gaming industry as a whole and only beneficial for microsoft...

"For those not in the know, the Xbox One parity clause means developers can only release their titles on Xbox One if they haven't already been released on other consoles first. Despite widespread calls from the industry for it to be ditched, last we heard the company had no plans to do so."
Microsoft is a cancer to the gaming industry and the sooner they leave the better...yet after seeing their true colors the past years some people are still stupid enough to continue giving them their money.
---
PSN : TMB903
#55Sinizta03Posted 5/2/2014 5:36:42 PM
Ironcondorz posted...

Yes we all know Microsoft is totally better than resorting to underhanded tactics such as that....oh wait.
---
PSN : TMB903
#56Kocano26Posted 5/2/2014 5:51:20 PM
How is this bad? If anything it's pro consumer cause why should another system get the game first or before me? It makes things fair it's not like they can't release on another platform just has to be at the same time.
---
Kocano Wins!
#57pobbesPosted 5/2/2014 5:57:53 PM
Kocano26 posted...
How is this bad? If anything it's pro consumer cause why should another system get the game first or before me? It makes things fair it's not like they can't release on another platform just has to be at the same time.

it's anti dev though. what if they need more time to develop it for the xbone but the ps4 is ready. they still have to wait? what if they don't have enough people to release both at the same time and have to focus on one to release it in a timely manner? all this does is drive away devs, and the ones that will end up suffering are you, the consumer.
#58unclekoolaid73Posted 5/2/2014 6:09:19 PM
Minecraft is indie. Im betting if I looked at most of the peoples gametags that have said "Idiez R stoopid" have played that game.
#59NSGraphitePosted 5/2/2014 6:12:29 PM
unclekoolaid73 posted...
Minecraft is indie. Im betting if I looked at most of the peoples gametags that have said "Idiez R stoopid" have played that game.

I've never touched mincraft. I've never even seen minecraft. I've not watched any videos of it. I don't really even know how you play it. But then again, I don't think indies are stoopid. Just that most of them aren't for me, but my kids are playing Child of Light demo right now and it seems like a cute little game.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#60pobbesPosted 5/2/2014 6:15:14 PM
NSGraphite posted...
unclekoolaid73 posted...

I've never touched mincraft. I've never even seen minecraft. I've not watched any videos of it. I don't really even know how you play it. But then again, I don't think indies are stoopid. Just that most of them aren't for me, but my kids are playing Child of Light demo right now and it seems like a cute little game.

child of light isn't indie though! they're from ubisoft i think. but man, i gotta get that game.