Seems like MS is the only one holding strong

#31Styrof0amPosted 5/2/2014 1:15:13 PM(edited)
leelee3105 posted...
Sony is openly saying they want out of the console market

Yeah, several years from now, and it's certainly not the doom of Playstation ...

So where does that leave PS4 in the future? Are Sony moving towards PlayStation as a service rather than just a box? “We see PlayStation as a brand, not just a box. Going out to 2013 and probably more appropriately 2014, 15, 16, 17 you’ll start to see PlayStation 4 as a brand and a set of services, a set of experiences”

Considering they've bought Gaikai, and the increased demand for connectivitvity (streaming movies and music is taking the lead in digital entertainment), launching Gaming as a Service makes a lot of sense, and is not a bad omen.

Source (for quote):
http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/10/11/is-the-future-of-playstation-as-a-service-not-a-box-i-think-thats-good-way-of-putting-says-sonys-fergal-gara/

---

No commentary. Gameplay only ... http://www.youtube.com/user/kyllingefod
#32PorungaPosted 5/2/2014 1:23:39 PM
MachineZed posted...
Porunga posted...
leelee3105 posted...
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/rumor-nintendo-show-hardware-e3-144217053.html

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/04/26/the-playstation-4-could-be-sonys-last-video-game-c.aspx

You know.. you keep posting that fool article about sony possibly changing to a streaming service. You act like that is sony giving up, dropping out of gaming.. when the truth is, if it could be done properly, sony could have a far greater reach than they ever could with a console. Do I want them to change to a service and maybe not have a next system? No, but I can see the potential benefits of it. Sony being able to deliver their games to countless devices.. phones, tablets, computers, tvs, streaming boxes,etc.. all suddenly playstations. Millions and millions of people able to play their games without even having to buy a playstation console. You consider that a win for microsoft?

And yet MS gets lambasted for giving the thought of going all digital. Sony sure you can move to a streaming service, but god forbid MS for having a once a day internet check.

There are a few differences here.

#1: A lot of people have a issue (not just "ponies")with a all digital console because there are things like storage concerns on the system itself, internet download speeds, and bandwidth data caps that would make a digital only console difficult. Such things would not be a factor on a gaming streaming service. Games would not be downloaded or stored on the local device, and the bandwidth requirement would be rather low because all there is to transfer is a video, i.e. youtube, and the controller inputs. Then there is the fact that with traditional digital you are paying for a license to the game, and if the server were to ever be shut down.. no more game, the thing you just bought is now gone. WIth a game streaming service, you pay for the service.. not the games.

#2: The big outcry against the xbox one DRM and online checks was because it would have affected physical copies of games. Such a thing has never been tried before, and it did not go over well. People are used to DRM and online requirements for digital games.. it is part of the "norm". If MS had tried to do their original plan on digital games only, and not on physical.. I suspect they would have had a far less negative reaction.

All of that said, I don't want sony to go do a streaming service. But, it is hardly up to me.. and if they do decide to go that route I will use the service. But if sony does go streaming only... it will be anything but a win for microsoft.
#33kcypher2000Posted 5/2/2014 1:34:20 PM
VGAddict90 posted...
MS is holding strong? XBone is getting spanked by the PS4, and is even behind the Wii U in WW sales. Titanfall didn't do anything for it, either.

The gap between XB1 sales and Wii U sales will only get bigger when MK8 comes out.

Wiiu launched a year before and is dying even in its own home country .

Xbox is in 13 countries vs the ps4s 55 and xbox isnt that far behind in US considering it costs 20% more.

TF outsold infamous with a smaller install base.

Xbox division was profitable yet again while Sony is dying.
#34kcypher2000Posted 5/2/2014 1:36:28 PM
I am going to laugh when Ps Now is on my MS Surface or Xbox one!

That would be smart of sony however
#35Chao_YunPosted 5/2/2014 1:43:14 PM
kcypher2000 posted...
VGAddict90 posted...
MS is holding strong? XBone is getting spanked by the PS4, and is even behind the Wii U in WW sales. Titanfall didn't do anything for it, either.

The gap between XB1 sales and Wii U sales will only get bigger when MK8 comes out.

Xbox is in 13 countries vs the ps4s 55 and xbox isnt that far behind in US considering it costs 20% more.

Guess what. Super Mario Brothers sold with the NES. Check those sales numbers. Skewed, my friend, skewed. That's the whole point.
---
Forest trees are greener.
#36AxleHeadXPosted 5/2/2014 1:44:15 PM
leelee3105 posted...
With all the talk about MS making mistakes this gen, Sony is openly saying they want out of the console market and now this rumor of a new nintendo already. Maybe MS knew what they were doing after all.

First off Sony has never said they want out of the console market. They are simply considering the possibility of streaming games to the user without a console and instead use a standard bluray player or a roku type box. Microsoft has been working on this same technology even longer. Nintendo on the other hand needs to put out a better console as the Wii U has been a disaster. As it stands Microsoft is doing nothing right for gamers. They are investing in TV Shows and crap. If anything Sony is the only one doing anything right. Microsoft needs to start focusing on games again plain and simple. I've always loved my Xbox's, but this generation Microsoft has completely lost focus.
#37PorungaPosted 5/2/2014 1:50:22 PM(edited)
Chao_Yun posted...
kcypher2000 posted...
VGAddict90 posted...

Guess what. Super Mario Brothers sold with the NES. Check those sales numbers. Skewed, my friend, skewed. That's the whole point.

Not only that but it was a FPS vs a open world superhero game... not shocking what the masses went with. PLUS the sales numbers everyone always uses to compare titanfall to infamous included the PC titanfall numbers. It still outsold infamous, it just isn't terribly impressive nor surprising. I know what the better game was, but it is my opinion, and I keep it to myself.
#38CharadeSmithPosted 5/2/2014 1:51:10 PM
Grats TC, that means that when the XB1 is discontinued due to being a failure you'll be able to take another risky investment on the next Xbox. Shame that your current bone will be left all alone for eternity though..
---
"I buy physical because if I can't touch it then it doesn't exist" - GameFAQs wisdom.
#39slyman19Posted 5/2/2014 2:01:29 PM
If Sony does go with streaming, you can say goodbye to PlayStation. Sony really doesn't understand the huge problems with streaming that aren't going away any time soon.
#40PorungaPosted 5/2/2014 2:06:50 PM
slyman19 posted...
If Sony does go with streaming, you can say goodbye to PlayStation. Sony really doesn't understand the huge problems with streaming that aren't going away any time soon.

It is true that there was some major improvements that would need to be made before such a thing could be a viable replacement for a console. But, such a thing wouldn't be for another 6 to 8 years or more.. they have time to work on it. I think how playstation now does on ps4 when it releases will tell sony all they need to know about if that is really the course they wish to take, and if so, what they need to improve. But for all we know we may see a playstation 5 or 6 before a full streaming service takes hold. It is all highly speculative right now, absolutely nothing solid.