"Every console is a dev kit"

#1TarotXIIIPosted 5/2/2014 9:38:06 PM
This means mods similar to pc are possible to come eventually, yes?
#2HorridhalPosted 5/2/2014 9:44:03 PM
Really unlikely, but possible if true.

I'd need to see a link that shows exactly what the phrase entails though.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#3Tajaz2426Posted 5/2/2014 9:50:44 PM
I think with PC you have more easily accessible ways to mod. I'm not good with technology, but I think the console are more closed source components and it would be really difficult.

I'd like to hear from someone with good computer skills that could explain this kindergarden style, sounds interesting.
#4TarotXIII(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2014 9:54:05 PM
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2018003/xbox_one_to_support_mods_its_up_to_developers_says_major_nelson.html

Thanks for the legit comments too btw. Not a lot of people on here want to be civil. :p
#5HorridhalPosted 5/2/2014 10:01:31 PM
This bit here :

Following news that any Xbox One can be used as a dev kit, it was asked on Reddit if this means the console would support mods.

"It's up to developers to support that," answered Microsoft's Major Nelson. "These are two very different things."

Makes me think that modding would be a developer only thing and that user mods(which is the lion's share of computer mods) wouldn't be supported.

Keep in mind that this is just my interpretation of the article and I may be wrong. I am more than happy to defer to anyone more knowledgable than myself in this case.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#6kyncaniPosted 5/3/2014 2:20:04 AM(edited)
When the console is cracked, mods will be available.

Whether that is a good thing or not, well ...
#7ObtikPosted 5/3/2014 4:35:23 AM
kyncani posted...

This is literally the weakest attempt at trolling I've seen. This is what happens when you let people like Michael Scott near a computer.
#8mokmuudPosted 5/3/2014 5:17:18 AM
Horridhal posted...
This bit here :

Following news that any Xbox One can be used as a dev kit, it was asked on Reddit if this means the console would support mods.

"It's up to developers to support that," answered Microsoft's Major Nelson. "These are two very different things."

Makes me think that modding would be a developer only thing and that user mods(which is the lion's share of computer mods) wouldn't be supported.

Keep in mind that this is just my interpretation of the article and I may be wrong. I am more than happy to defer to anyone more knowledgable than myself in this case.

I think it means it up to developers to to implement a way for mods to be utilized. Like a mod manager
---
PSN: Mokmuud live gamertag: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#9kyncaniPosted 5/3/2014 4:00:25 PM
Obtik posted...
kyncani posted...

This is literally the weakest attempt at trolling I've seen. This is what happens when you let people like Michael Scott near a computer.

o.O
That wasn't an "attempt at trolling" or whatever.
Would you stop screaming every time anything comes near a Xbox One please ?
#10TarotXIII(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 5:43:43 AM
Let's all get a long foolz. *passes out the flame pattern fedoras* But seriously, i'm hoping it's something like a mod manager on the xbox one via an update. Then you take the mods you dl from your computer, put it on a usb, put them on the xbox then enable them in the manager. Could you imagine how amazing that would be???