YOUR TV setup; can you tell the difference between 720p/1080p?

#31secondhand1Posted 5/4/2014 8:56:30 AM
Everyone who posts in these topics and doesn't make reference to viewing distance in relation to screen size can be ignored. That is the single most important factor. Without this, you may as well be wearing a blue shirt and selling me a protection plan on a Sunday afternoon.

Or, there's this guy:

prozac786 posted...
On my 40" and 55" I can tell very easily from any distance.

No, you can't.
---
I don't row.
#32CharadeSmithPosted 5/4/2014 9:09:08 AM
secondhand1 posted...
Everyone who posts in these topics and doesn't make reference to viewing distance in relation to screen size can be ignored. That is the single most important factor. Without this, you may as well be wearing a blue shirt and selling me a protection plan on a Sunday afternoon.

Or, there's this guy:

prozac786 posted...
On my 40" and 55" I can tell very easily from any distance.

No, you can't.

I assume your XB1 defense is going to be "pfftt, if i sit 2x further away than i should I won't notice the difference..as much!"
Maybe MS should include a manual with their XB1 explaining how people should sit at the most distant point in the room to have the "Best XB1 experience".
---
i5 3750k + 7870 OC + 8GB RAM and PS3 + PS4
#33g7g7g7g7Posted 5/4/2014 9:11:15 AM
Semp1 posted...
I have a 65inch and no I can not. It's not visibly different to me. Yes, There's a slight difference in resolution but it's very hard to see with graphics or cartoon content. Its very slight if it's even there. Resolution has nothing to do with pixels pushed. Don't forget that guys.

Resolution is the measure of the entirety of pixels pushed, do you even understand the concept of resolution?
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#34MightyMunaPosted 5/4/2014 9:16:36 AM
Yes I can. I have a Sony 32" 1080p and just even switching the PS3 XMB from 720p to 1080p is quite noticeable.
#35secondhand1Posted 5/4/2014 9:35:31 AM
CharadeSmith posted...
I assume your XB1 defense is going to be "pfftt, if i sit 2x further away than i should I won't notice the difference..as much!"
Maybe MS should include a manual with their XB1 explaining how people should sit at the most distant point in the room to have the "Best XB1 experience".

What in the actual hell are you talking about? My XB1 defense?

Yes, I have an XB1. I also have a PS4, a PS3, and a 360. Also a Vita and a 3DS. What is your point? Oh, wait, I know. It probably goes something like this:

"I don't really understand how things work so I regurgitate ignorant groupthink ideals and posture like I'm a somebody"

Viewing distance is everything. End of.
---
I don't row.
#36Who_NosePosted 5/4/2014 9:57:41 AM(edited)
Semp1 posted...
Who_Nose posted...
65 inch plasma.

Even the differences between 1080i and 1080p are vastly noticeable. 720 seems like standard definition to me.

You do not know what you're talking about and that's why these topics are stupid. 1080 lines is 1080 lines. Whether it's interlaced or progressive means nothing once displayed on your TV set it becomes progressive.

I have been an AV gearhead for 20 years. I'm quite afraid you are the one who doesn't know what they are talking about, and that is why topics like this continually pop up here on Gamefaqs which is mostly populated by the young, the ignorant, or both. I suggest you brush up on the subject a bit. Here, let me help:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413044,00.asp

"1080i video is "interlaced." 1080i video plays back at 60 frames per second, but that's a bit deceptive, because it's actually broadcast at 30 frames per second. The TV then displays those frames twice, in a way—the first pass is 1,920-by-540 for the even scan line field, and the second pass is 1,920-by-540 for the odd scan line field. The process by which this occurs is called interlacing. It contributes to a sense of motion and reduces perceived flicker.

1080p video is called "progressive scan." In this format, 1,920-by-1,080-pixel high-definition movies are progressively drawn line after line, so they're not interlaced. On paper, that may not seem like a huge deal. But in the real world, what you end up seeing looks sharper and more defined than 1080i, particularly during scenes with a lot of fast motion....

Both formats look similar on smaller TVs. As a general rule, you need a larger TV to notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p. Depending on your eyesight, you can probably pick up the difference on a 32-inch LCD if you're particular about it. "

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Check out the AVS Forums for much deeper discussions on the issue by knowledgeable people like myself.
#37godplaysSNESPosted 5/4/2014 10:18:00 AM
One thing that often gets overlooked is that 720p content looks better on a native 720p monitor, whereas 720p upscaled to 1080p looks worse
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#38Viet0nePosted 5/4/2014 10:22:25 AM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
I have a 70" TV, sit 12' away and no, I can't tell the difference between my PS4 and Xbox One (I can tell the trivial differences when still frame side by side comparisons are shown but in action not at all) especially since Xbox One outputs all content at 1080p, lower resolutions are upscaled by the console, so the question really boils down to native 1080p vs 1080p upscaled.

So by your logic, a Wii game that gets up-scaled by a AV Receiver or a TV to 1080p shouldn't be that much different than the same game on a 360/PS3 or Xbo One/PS4.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIV ARR, FFXHD, Spelunky, Infamous SS
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#39MithrilMonarchPosted 5/4/2014 11:22:55 AM
I can't because I only own a 720p television.

On a 1080p television, I can spot the difference easily.
---
"What are you doing, Flame Mammoth? Don't be stupid!"
"DURR HURR HURR HURR"
#40SolisPosted 5/4/2014 11:22:58 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
One thing that often gets overlooked is that 720p content looks better on a native 720p monitor, whereas 720p upscaled to 1080p looks worse

720p native displays are nearly non-existent at this point, and even most of the HDTVs that people have that are labeled as "720p" aren't actually 1280x720 pixels native. Ironically, most 1080p displays will scale 720p native content better than a majority of TVs that are categorized as 720p will.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review