anyone else disappointed in Kinects ability as a mic?

#11DvoloS88Posted 5/4/2014 9:07:01 AM
ExempliGratia posted...
Using the Kinect as an actual mic to speak to people STINKS. It picks up every sound in the area including the tv. Playing people in K.I sucks because you hear the game and background noise. The kinect is good at picking up everything so good it's annoying.

That's their fault when they calibrated their kinect. Also how is this any different than people eating/or drinking into a head set mic? Kinect as a mic works just fine if it's close/far enough from whoever is speaking, as well as calibrated correctly.
---
Microsoft fans and Sony fans, can't we all just get along?...
#12ALegendaryNoobPosted 5/4/2014 9:47:06 AM
DvoloS88 posted...
ExempliGratia posted...
Using the Kinect as an actual mic to speak to people STINKS. It picks up every sound in the area including the tv. Playing people in K.I sucks because you hear the game and background noise. The kinect is good at picking up everything so good it's annoying.

That's their fault when they calibrated their kinect. Also how is this any different than people eating/or drinking into a head set mic? Kinect as a mic works just fine if it's close/far enough from whoever is speaking, as well as calibrated correctly.

What he^^ said. I use my Kinect as a mic all the time, and so do my friends. They always sound just as clear as when using a headset. As long as you have your Kinect calibrated correctly and at a reasonable distance, then there is no problems with its' microphone.

Tajaz2426 posted...
reptileegg posted...
Geist posted...
Hmmmm... Nice try, but too many people here are logical enough to know there are too many other factors to think about before solely blaming the Kinect. I'm sure you'll get a few hits though.

like people having to shout so they don't sound half a mile away?

No one is ever willing to discuss the issues with our consoles, it's always mine is better than yours. If you happen to have a problem with your console your labeled a troll, pony, or Xbot.

I have no issues discussing the problems with the PS4. Using the camera on that is awful as a mic too, bud. I think it is dependent on the actual distance you are away from it, but yeah even up close it's pretty awful. Sounds like you might be underwater. Does a headset affect the kinect or can you just disable it?

As for what you^^ said, the whole problem with sounding like your underwater while talking through the Kinect was only a problem with the first Kinect(albeit a huge problem with the first one). The majority of the people that say this nonsense about the new Kinect either don't even own an XB1 and thus don't know what they are talking about, or have run into people that never calibrated their Kinects properly and play with their volume too loud... But what do I know though? I only own the system and use it every day.
---
FC:2509-2496-6623 IGN:Robbie TSV:0860 GT:A LegendaryNoob
#13ExempliGratiaPosted 5/4/2014 9:54:22 AM
No matter how much you calibrate your Kinect if the tv is loud and next to the Kinect it does pick up the tv. A lot of people do that. It's annoying. I mute everyone who uses the Kinect as a mic. It annoys the hell out of me.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#14ALegendaryNoobPosted 5/4/2014 10:15:24 AM
I've never had a single complaint from friends or random people while using my Kinect as a mic on my XB1. My Kinect isn't directly near my TV either, so that probably helps it not pick up the TV, also I don't play with my volume up super loud either. I have the Polk Audio headset as well, but usually only use it when playing a game that benefits from the volume being louder.

I guess I'll just never understand every ones hatefulness towards the Kinect. (The first one I understand, but not for the new one)
---
FC:2509-2496-6623 IGN:Robbie TSV:0860 GT:A LegendaryNoob
#15Who_NosePosted 5/4/2014 10:24:36 AM
Most people have the common sense not to use the Kinect as a mic as it is a horrible alternative and will result in massive negative rep and eternal mutes (from the profile page, not the in-game menus.)

Kinect 2.0 has improved on the Kinect 1.0 exactly 0% in this category.

Of course when I say "most people" I do not mean bratty 14 year olds or sponge headed frat boys.
#16Tajaz2426Posted 5/4/2014 10:28:09 AM
reptileegg posted...
I'm serious - I own an Xbox One and last year I was looking forward to using the Kinect as a mic while using my regular headphones (headphones with no mic). But it is a let down. Why must this be a troll topic?

I agree your serious, as I am. A lot of folks on here can't handle truth and will go to the have protecting their console like the maker is their parent and cares about them. The truth ceases to exist on these boards, you can tell that by the topics of pure lies, then someone posts facts and that post gets ignored.

I was saying it's hard to have a conversation on gamefaqs with these folks that go too far for their game box, are on here.
#17Tajaz2426Posted 5/4/2014 10:35:06 AM
ALegendaryNoob posted...
DvoloS88 posted...
ExempliGratia posted...

What he^^ said. I use my Kinect as a mic all the time, and so do my friends. They always sound just as clear as when using a headset. As long as you have your Kinect calibrated correctly and at a reasonable distance, then there is no problems with its' microphone.

Tajaz2426 posted...
reptileegg posted...
Geist posted...
Hmmmm... Nice try, but too many people here are logical enough to know there are too many other factors to think about before solely blaming the Kinect. I'm sure you'll get a few hits though.

like people having to shout so they don't sound half a mile away?

No one is ever willing to discuss the issues with our consoles, it's always mine is better than yours. If you happen to have a problem with your console your labeled a troll, pony, or Xbot.

I have no issues discussing the problems with the PS4. Using the camera on that is awful as a mic too, bud. I think it is dependent on the actual distance you are away from it, but yeah even up close it's pretty awful. Sounds like you might be underwater. Does a headset affect the kinect or can you just disable it?

As for what you^^ said, the whole problem with sounding like your underwater while talking through the Kinect was only a problem with the first Kinect(albeit a huge problem with the first one). The majority of the people that say this nonsense about the new Kinect either don't even own an XB1 and thus don't know what they are talking about, or have run into people that never calibrated their Kinects properly and play with their volume too loud... But what do I know though? I only own the system and use it every day.

That's why two sentences before that I was talking about the camera on my system. Before you get snippy with the "what do I know, I only own the thing" comments, learn a little reading comprehension.

Again like I said the fanboys here make it hard to have a real conversation, just like this guy I responded to here. Seeing as I never said the Kenict was bad, I said mine was as that's the console I own.
#18FinzFan4lifePosted 5/4/2014 11:18:10 AM
reptileegg posted...
BryanPS360 posted...
Good thing the system came packed with a headset.

ah, but I use headphones so as not to disturb my neighbors with machine gun fire at 4 AM.

yet you want to use the kinect to talk to people at 4 am cause thats not disturbing
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#19reptileegg(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 11:53:18 AM
FinzFan4life posted...
reptileegg posted...
BryanPS360 posted...
Good thing the system came packed with a headset.

ah, but I use headphones so as not to disturb my neighbors with machine gun fire at 4 AM.

yet you want to use the kinect to talk to people at 4 am cause thats not disturbing

You found me out
#20DvoloS88Posted 5/4/2014 12:02:29 PM
Who_Nose posted...
Most people have the common sense not to use the Kinect as a mic as it is a horrible alternative and will result in massive negative rep and eternal mutes (from the profile page, not the in-game menus.)

Kinect 2.0 has improved on the Kinect 1.0 exactly 0% in this category.

Of course when I say "most people" I do not mean bratty 14 year olds or sponge headed frat boys.

I have to say you're 100% wrong, have you even used the thing or listened to people using it? Again you are wrong sir...
---
Microsoft fans and Sony fans, can't we all just get along?...