Bill Gates: If new MS CEO Nadella wants to spin off Xbox biz, "I'm absolutely fo

#41RybalPosted 5/5/2014 11:13:17 AM
slyman19 posted...
Rybal posted...
Wow - so many people look at one statement out of context and completely misinterpreted it.

If you didn't read the article, here's the tl;dr version:

Gates said he would support a spinoff if the new MS CEO proposed it. He ALSO said that he didn't expect Bing or Xbox to be spun off because they were a part of MS's long-term strategy.

Gates is not going to undermine the new CEO right after she takes charge. At this point, he'll back her in just about anything. If anything, his comment was a subtle reminder that spinning off either of those two divisions would be a poor decision.

She? Her? What?

For some reason, I was thinking Nadella was female. My mistake.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#42ParappaTheHATERPosted 5/5/2014 11:13:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#43ILikesCheesePosted 5/5/2014 11:13:40 AM
slyman19 posted...
Didn't Xbox make more net profit than the PlayStation division the last two quarters?

I think you are confusing Revenue with Profits. That's okay, that happens a lot on this board. Also, MS purposely reformatted and separated parts of its financial statement last year to hide certain expenses from the Xbox Brand in other divisions, creating the illusion that the gaming division was more profitable than it actually was.

Shareholders were NOT amused or fooled.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#44slyman19Posted 5/5/2014 11:14:18 AM
ParappaTheHATER posted...
But yore probably more concerned with facing the death of your beloved Xbox, well unfortunately the diagnosis is in, and it's not looking good, prognosis negative. Bill Gates wants to show compassion and instead of keeping it on life support in a suffering state, just pull the plug with dignity

Why would Microsoft kill the Xbox? It's on the verge of making an overall profit and it isn't failing or anything like that.

Only two investors have expressed desire for the Xbox to be sold. Not enough to do anything, especially when the biggest shareholder considers the Xbox his creation.

Also, spin-off =/= shutting down/selling off.
#45bob15xPosted 5/5/2014 11:14:53 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
bob15x posted...
did she realize that you were not that bright and think spin off means sell off?

A "spin-off" is still a divestiture that garners ZERO backing from the parent company. An Xbox without Microsoft's money means no AAA games, no advertising, no R and D...hey, basically a Ouya.

:D

the idea of a spin off is also because it can operate easily on its own and does not need the backing of the parent company. It is also easier to analyze when its separate.
#46slyman19Posted 5/5/2014 11:15:16 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
slyman19 posted...
Didn't Xbox make more net profit than the PlayStation division the last two quarters?

I think you are confusing Revenue with Profits. That's okay, that happens a lot on this board. Also, MS purposely reformatted and separated parts of its financial statement last year to hide certain expenses from the Xbox Brand in other divisions, creating the illusion that the gaming division was more profitable than it actually was.

Proof on anything you said?
#47bob15xPosted 5/5/2014 11:16:04 AM
Wow man, like I'm gonna joke about my parent dying for some console war bullsh**, you Xbox fans are truly demented, and if you think cancer is unbelievable just wait till one of your loved ones gets it, it's not as unlikely as u seem to believe

actually my mother died of lung cancer because of smoking almost 20 years ago. and guess what, she got what she deserved. she smoked packs a day knowing exactly what it would do it her.
#48bob15xPosted 5/5/2014 11:16:48 AM
slyman19 posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
slyman19 posted...

Proof on anything you said?

actually he might be right at that. But its all speculation.
#49ParappaTheHATERPosted 5/5/2014 11:26:20 AM
bob15x posted...
Wow man, like I'm gonna joke about my parent dying for some console war bullsh**, you Xbox fans are truly demented, and if you think cancer is unbelievable just wait till one of your loved ones gets it, it's not as unlikely as u seem to believe

actually my mother died of lung cancer because of smoking almost 20 years ago. and guess what, she got what she deserved. she smoked packs a day knowing exactly what it would do it her.

Damn dude you a cold Mofo. Just so you know I think Xbox is getting what it deserves, but human beings deserve better, they don't deserve to be sold legally addictive products that give you cancer, I think it's messed up.
---
"Sony always wins." -Chad Warden
#50ILikesCheesePosted 5/5/2014 11:27:22 AM
bob15x posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
bob15x posted...
XisurusX posted...
Would a "spinoff" necessarily be a bad thing? Perhaps the Xbox brand could free itself from this media entertainment stigma and focus on its core audience (gaming). The Playstation brand may do the same thing with how their sales are going vs the Sony company as a whole.

i could see the playstation brand doing it since the other divisions at Sony are pulling the playstation down.

You've got that backwards.

With SONY, their Entertainment Division (movies; Spider-Man = BANK) and Gaming Division (Playstation) are the bright spots of the company. It is their Electronics Division which is getting trounced: PCs (now gone), receivers, cameras, and even televisions. It makes no sense to "spin-off" the successful portions of your company.

Which the XBOX is not for Microsoft; they do MUCH better in software, licensing and now even the tablet market with the Surface. Also, many of the executives at MS don't even understand the gaming genre, and that trickle down of ignorance and indifference is at last causing repercussions in the business. For MS, from a bottom line P and L standpoint, their shareholders would be happy to see the Xbox Brand sold off.

i dont have it wrong. Playstation brand can easily support itself and pullling it away from all the other failing parts of Sony could actually help the Playstation brand grow. Many analysts have already suggested sony should do this.

There is a business line of thinking that says to spinoff successful branches of a company and there is a line of thinking which says to spinoff troubled branches of a company. I have always sided with those that think in terms of the latter. Sony - like any business IMO - needs to consolidate its successes and dump its failures. Don't save the dying breeds as faceplates for your parent company's image.

Does SONY want to be known as the company behind dying tech like digital cameras, subpar tech like its computers, or 4th or 5th place in its line of televisions behind giants like Panasonic and Samsung? Or as the company with a tentpole billion dollar movie franchise and the number one gaming console?

Likewise, does Microsoft want to be known as THE business and home software giant with everything from IE to Windows to Office? Or does Microsoft want to have the "stigma" of a gaming console associated within its portfolio?
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?