Bill Gates: If new MS CEO Nadella wants to spin off Xbox biz, "I'm absolutely fo

#81SoulTrapperPosted 5/5/2014 2:24:07 PM
DemonicChaosXX posted...
The hell would be a Xbox Spin-off?!

It means that Xbox would continue on as a separate branch, no longer attached to Microsoft but still working together obviously.

It would mean investors would no longer have to suffer the losses from the xbox and Bing.

Although this would be a good thing if they could give the xbox a reboot of sorts, moving it away from the direction MS was taking it in and going back to video games, it's most likely not financially viable.

Without the big bucks from MS behind the xbox, it wouldn't survive.
Especially not in it's current condition.
#82crucialPosted 5/5/2014 2:32:20 PM
Xbox is not going anywhere,at worst it becomes its own entity,think MJ with Nike,branch off so you can gamble a bit more with out the worry's of CEO's and stock holders,X1 is about to enter the China market at years end and Japan with E3 coming means X1 is alive and well.

I think this will be the last gen for consoles imo.
#83TheGleamEyesPosted 5/5/2014 2:34:28 PM
AceAndJunpei posted...
I'm pretty sure the teenagers here know just A little more about the Xbox brand than Bill Gates.

I mean... Has anyone here even heard of this Gates fellow?

Tbf, looking at Gates reveal the Xbox in Japan would suggest so. Such a trainwreck that the brand never recovered and regulated an entire market to 'unimportant/3rd tier'

Rybal posted...
Wow - so many people look at one statement out of context and completely misinterpreted it.

If you didn't read the article, here's the tl;dr version:

Gates said he would support a spinoff if the new MS CEO proposed it. He ALSO said that he didn't expect Bing or Xbox to be spun off because they were a part of MS's long-term strategy.

Gates is not going to undermine the new CEO right after she takes charge. At this point, he'll back her in just about anything. If anything, his comment was a subtle reminder that spinning off either of those two divisions would be a poor decision.

It's a he, not a she. Shows how much you know of the management if you can't even get the gender of the CEO right...
#84slyman19Posted 5/5/2014 2:51:50 PM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...
DemonicChaosXX posted...
The hell would be a Xbox Spin-off?!

It means that Xbox would continue on as a separate branch, no longer attached to Microsoft but still working together obviously.

It would mean investors would no longer have to suffer the losses from the xbox and Bing.

Although this would be a good thing if they could give the xbox a reboot of sorts, moving it away from the direction MS was taking it in and going back to video games, it's most likely not financially viable.

Without the big bucks from MS behind the xbox, it wouldn't survive.
Especially not in it's current condition.

What do you mean in it's current condition? It's selling very well and it's making money.

Regardless of that, I do agree that it couldn't survive on it's own, but PlayStation couldn't either. Both rely heavily on the financial backing of their parent companies.
#85SoulTrapperPosted 5/5/2014 2:57:07 PM
slyman19 posted...

What do you mean in it's current condition? It's sell very well and it's making money.

Regardless of that, I do agree that it couldn't survive on it's own, but PlayStation couldn't either. Both rely heavily on the financial backing of their parent companies.

It's pretty obvious that it isn't selling as good as the competition.
It's also pretty well known at this point that it's harder to develop for the xbox one.

So that means devs would need to spend more time and money on optimizing their multiplatform games for a much smaller amount of people.

Everyone can see how that isn't exactly going to stay viable for those devs over an extended period of time.

On top of that comes the fact that the numbers of the xbox division are boosted with the profits of the android patents MS has.

By itself, the xbox is not a profitable project for Microsoft.

The xbox isn't making any money at this point.
It's being sold at $450 along with two free games.

We know that the estimated price of manufacturing the xbox one is $471, so there is no way they are making a profit off of their console sales right now (you can thank the kinect for that).

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/29/the-deanbeat-the-xbox-one-cost-471-to-make-the-ps4-costs-381-and-why-this-matters-in-the-long-run/

The xbox division hasn't made Microsoft any money at all since the original console launched years ago.

In contrast, the Playstation division is one of the most profitable divisions of Sony.

And the PS4 costs them $381 to manufacture, so they actually are making a profit with each console sale.
#86DojoMaxPosted 5/5/2014 3:01:49 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Good. Get MS out of this industry. Let Amazon take over Xbox. Great customer service and willing to put out a loss leader.

Translation: I want things for cheap which is why I'm a sad broke troll. I also don't own a ps4 cause I can't afford that either.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVN_Ytl_bgA -- Titanfall is better on 360 than XBone.
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin:DojoMax
#87ILikesCheesePosted 5/5/2014 3:06:04 PM
slyman19 posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
slyman19 posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
DENIAL is not just a river in South America to these Xbox Fans.

I really hope you weren't serious with that comment.

That line works better SPOKEN rather than TYPED.

:D

I was referring to where you said the river was.

Oh my....

LoL...this is what happens when you're shopping on Amazon, discussing a trip to Brazil for the 2016 Summer Olympics and talking on Gamefaqs about rivers at the same time.

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#88slyman19Posted 5/5/2014 3:24:48 PM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...
slyman19 posted...

What do you mean in it's current condition? It's sell very well and it's making money.

It's pretty obvious that it isn't selling as good as the competition.
It's also pretty well known at this point that it's harder to develop for the xbox one. \

Not by much. A lot of devs have said that difficulty will disappear.

So that means devs would need to spend more time and money on optimizing their multiplatform games for a much smaller amount of people.

They did it with the horrendously hard to develop for PS3. Why not something that's very easy in comparison?

Everyone can see how that isn't exactly going to stay viable for those devs over an extended period of time.

The Xbox one isn't going to stop selling. When Halo and Gears comes out, the One will pick up more steam.

On top of that comes the fact that the numbers of the xbox division are boosted with the profits of the android patents MS has.

You don't know what a fact is, do you? That report was speculation, nothing more.

By itself, the xbox is not a profitable project for Microsoft.

It's possibly made more profit the last two quarters than the PlayStation has. PS is doomed, right?

The xbox isn't making any money at this point.
It's being sold at $450 along with two free games.

Microsoft had such a big profit margin on the hardware, they could very likely still be making a profit at that price.

We know that the estimated price of manufacturing the xbox one is $471, so there is no way they are making a profit off of their console sales right now (you can thank the kinect for that).

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/29/the-deanbeat-the-xbox-one-cost-471-to-make-the-ps4-costs-381-and-why-this-matters-in-the-long-run/

They have no clue what it cost to make an Xbox One. Microsoft could have paid far less than what they guessed.

The xbox division hasn't made Microsoft any money at all since the original console launched years ago.

It's extremely close to making an overall profit, if it hasn't already.

In contrast, the Playstation division is one of the most profitable divisions of Sony.

That's not saying much, especially when you consider that the PS3 likely wiped out all profits from the PS and PS2

And the PS4 costs them $381 to manufacture, so they actually are making a profit with each console sale.

You don't know that for sure. Hell, they even said they aren't making anything on the hardware
#89BoxTheMuppetPosted 5/5/2014 3:14:47 PM
DojoMax posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
Good. Get MS out of this industry. Let Amazon take over Xbox. Great customer service and willing to put out a loss leader.

Translation: I want things for cheap which is why I'm a sad broke troll. I also don't own a ps4 cause I can't afford that either.

You translators are the unsung heroes of this board.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#90Kpt_KapowskiPosted 5/5/2014 3:15:21 PM
$471 is less than $500, clearly Microsoft is taking a loss on every console sold.

$381 is less than $400, clearly Sony is profiting on every console sold.

flawless logic.
---
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/01/05/EddieLacyBig.gif
If marathons were easy, they'd be called your mom