"Xbox One Sales Will Dominate America in 2016, Reports IDC"

#11Apex-PlayerPosted 5/6/2014 11:52:24 PM
@Omega_Black

The tool developers 'may use' as you put it, the Kinect is already getting avoided by developers.
TitanFall neglected to use it, and that was a very important hyped exclusive.

The Kinect lost any real chance when MS decided to offer developers the extra 8% power boost for their games.
Instead of forcing them to use that 8% on Kinect features.

With good performance being so hard to achieve on xboxone, no big developer (even Respawn) will pass up on that extra 8% that they could use to make the game look/run better.

The Kinect will definitely be getting dropped at e3 IMO.

It will still get games that use it, it won't be completely abandoned.
MS has their 1st party guys that they can definitely get to utilize it, along with games like Tomb Raider where the developers have already programmed for it so they may choose to carry it over in sequels etc.

I just think studios like Rockstar etc will definitely want the extra power to go on performance and not on Kinect.
Now that MS is letting them choose already, making Kinect mandatory is a lost cause.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#12SoulTrapperPosted 5/6/2014 11:55:23 PM(edited)
Omega_Black posted...
Let me preface by saying that I neither like nor dislike Kinect. It is simply there to me and while novel, full of potential, and even useful in certain instances, I could easily do without it in its current state.

That said, I still believe that fracturing the user base between the haves and the have-nots would be a mistake on Microsoft's end and would be taking away one of the few notable features the console actually has compared to the competition.

It would fracture the user base, but what difference would it make right now?

There aren't any real games out making use of it outside of the usual party games.
And there hasn't been any announcement of any other type of games making use of the kinect either.

You're right in that it is one of the things that set it aside (and pretty much the only thing that it does better), but if people aren't interested in it and it drives up the price, it's more of a hindrance than a boon.

In addition, it takes away a tool that developers may use to create more innovative experiences because once Kinect is demoted to an optional peripheral with only 5 million or so guaranteed users, developers no longer have any incentive to support it. It becomes just another missed opportunity.

That's actually one of the biggest problems with the kinect: potential.

"It could be used for this and for that and think of the options and the potential."

It's what we've been hearing ever since the first kinect launched and so far it's biggest use is either shaking your ass or switching TV channels.

Potential is great and all, but if it's left unused, it's pointless and (again) just drives up the price.

Developers have had incentive for years and never got beyond dragon shouts in skyrim (which was nice, but didn't add much to the game) and commands in Mass Effect.

Microsoft screwed up by making a Halo TV series, which isn't even going to an xbox exclusive, instead of a game that would make people actually want a kinect.

In my view, Microsoft did enough by reversing the more draconian policies of the original XBO. Now it is a matter of reshaping the XBO's image and creating more appeal using its current feature set, including the Kinect. Like Nintendo is stuck with the oddity that is the Wii U Gamepad, MS is effectively stuck with the Kinect. Now it needs to make the best of it.

I don't think they're stuck with the kinect, it's not needed for anything at all.

The WiiU is stuck with the gamepad because it's the only way to play most of the games that are currently available.
Outside of a few titles like Just Dance, there is no game that requires you to use the kinect.

The problem is that MS did reverse the policies, but they said they'd bring them back as well.

Removing the kinect would be a big step towards reshaping the image of the xbox.
#13slyman19Posted 5/7/2014 12:02:46 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Omega_Black posted...
Let me preface by saying that I neither like nor dislike Kinect. It is simply there to me and while novel, full of potential, and even useful in certain instances, I could easily do without it in its current state.

That said, I still believe that fracturing the user base between the haves and the have-nots would be a mistake on Microsoft's end and would be taking away one of the few notable features the console actually has compared to the competition.

It would fracture the user base, but what difference would it make right now?

There aren't any real games out making use of it outside of the usual party games.
And there hasn't been any announcement of any other type of games making use of the kinect either.

You're right in that it is one of the things that set it aside (and pretty much the only thing that it does better), but if people aren't interested in it and it drives up the price, it's more of a hindrance than a boon.

In addition, it takes away a tool that developers may use to create more innovative experiences because once Kinect is demoted to an optional peripheral with only 5 million or so guaranteed users, developers no longer have any incentive to support it. It becomes just another missed opportunity.

That's actually one of the biggest problems with the kinect: potential.

"It could be used for this and for that and think of the options and the potential."

It's what we've been hearing ever since the first kinect launched and so far it's biggest use is either shaking your ass or switching TV channels.

Potential is great and all, but if it's left unused, it's pointless and (again) just drives up the price.

Developers have had incentive for years and never got beyond dragon shouts in skyrim (which was nice, but didn't add much to the game) and commands in Mass Effect.

Microsoft screwed up by making a Halo TV series, which isn't even going to an xbox exclusive, instead of a game that would make people actually want a kinect.

In my view, Microsoft did enough by reversing the more draconian policies of the original XBO. Now it is a matter of reshaping the XBO's image and creating more appeal using its current feature set, including the Kinect. Like Nintendo is stuck with the oddity that is the Wii U Gamepad, MS is effectively stuck with the Kinect. Now it needs to make the best of it.

I don't think they're stuck with the kinect, it's not needed for anything at all.

The WiiU is stuck with the gamepad because it's the only way to play most of the games that are currently available.
Outside of a few titles like Just Dance, there is no game that requires you to use the kinect.

The problem is that MS did reverse the policies, but they said they'd bring them back as well.

Removing the kinect would be a big step towards reshaping the image of the xbox.

Proof?
#14SoulTrapperPosted 5/7/2014 12:11:31 AM
slyman19 posted...

Proof?

This is pretty well known:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127082-Microsoft-Believes-Xbox-One-And-Kinect-Are-One-And-The-Same

Spencer does believe in listening to customer feedback, which is why Microsoft now uses what he describes as "physical DRM" - the disc - as well as digital DRM. But Spencer's clear on one thing: Microsoft wants to create the digital ecosystem that was announced at launch, and which will be coming to all customers eventually. So those of you who wanted to see the next generation console you thought Microsoft was selling will see it eventually. Just not right away.
#15MasteroftheArtsPosted 5/7/2014 12:14:11 AM
It should be obvious, but in case it isn't:

Kinect 2.0 is not the original Kinect. The situations are entirely different, which is why the Kinect 2.0 will succeed where the original Kinect failed. There is no uncertainty among developers that X1 owners have a Kinect whereas the same was not the same for the original Kinect. These developers can now design interesting features without having to worry about whether their additional development time will be wasted.

The system has been out a grand total of 5 months and people are already demanding that the Kinect act as the second coming. The innovative features are coming. Right now I'm happy with what the voice commands and motion control.

Neither system needs to drop their prices. They're perfectly fine where they're at.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#16slyman19Posted 5/7/2014 12:15:02 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
slyman19 posted...

Proof?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127082-Microsoft-Believes-Xbox-One-And-Kinect-Are-One-And-The-Same

Spencer does believe in listening to customer feedback, which is why Microsoft now uses what he describes as "physical DRM" - the disc - as well as digital DRM. But Spencer's clear on one thing: Microsoft wants to create the digital ecosystem that was announced at launch, and which will be coming to all customers eventually. So those of you who wanted to see the next generation console you thought Microsoft was selling will see it eventually. Just not right away.

Um....that in no way says the restrictions will come back.
#17SoulTrapperPosted 5/7/2014 12:24:18 AM(edited)
slyman19 posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
slyman19 posted...

Proof?

Um....that in no way says the restrictions will come back.

What do you think "the digital ecosystem that was announced at launch" is, than?

Because that certainly sounds like he means "the digital ecosystem that was announced at launch".
#18slyman19Posted 5/7/2014 12:35:39 AM
SoulTrapper posted...

What do you think "the digital ecosystem that was announced at launch" is, than?

Because that certainly sounds like he means "the digital ecosystem that was announced at launch".

It doesn't necessarily mean the restrictions need to come back also, just things like family sharing. Do you honestly think Microsoft would try again after seeing the extreme backlash that happened?
#19SaltyBotzPosted 5/7/2014 12:36:03 AM
I hope MS does bring the DRM back. I was almost ready to NOT buy an Xbone after I heard they backed down. If they do bring it back, then I'll be a soldier and go out and buy another Xbone system.
#20dnmtPosted 5/7/2014 12:36:48 AM
SaltyBotz posted...
I hope MS does bring the DRM back. I was almost ready to NOT buy an Xbone after I heard they backed down. If they do bring it back, then I'll be a soldier and go out and buy another Xbone system.

Uh.. what.