What should MS do to boost sales?

#1MetroidFan9999Posted 5/7/2014 7:39:48 AM
What should MS do to boost sales? - Results (57 votes)
MS should drop the Kinect and bring the price down to $399.
43.86% (25 votes)
MS should drop the price to $399, not remove anything, and weather a $60+ loss/console
31.58% (18 votes)
Nothing, MS can just ride out the storm and business as usual.
24.56% (14 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So what do you think MS can do? This question is for the core fans as well that already have this console.

Think about it for a second - Kinect is MS's primary focus with this console, yet analysts are saying the only way for MS to gain momentum and steal momentum from it's competitors is to drop Kinect and sub-sequentially drop price.

What would be said about a company that drops it's #1 focus/implementation in their product to stay competitive? When the rest of the system is designed fully around this device? Is this really the right course?

Or should they weather a decent loss/console and just drop the price regardless? They did test this with $50 drops and free games (I know many around here were claiming it was permanent). That really didn't seem to boost sales to anything significant in comparison to competitors, especially as an incredibly hyped FPS released around the same time as well.

Or lastly...does MS really need to do anything right now? Some may say they are just fine, but consider this - PS3 was losing 3rd party exclusives and 360 was gaining 3rd party exclusives at the beginning of last gen highly due to the userbase advantage it enjoyed for a significant portion of the time early on. These were essentially free exclusives that MS really didn't have to pay for - the userbase and SDK they provided to developers pretty much enticed many to join the cause that otherwise would have not even given MS a second glance before.

Also MS hasn't really been known to outsell Sony worldwide unless they have all cheaper options than Sony. Look at last gen and the gen before to come to this conclusion. Chances are good they probably will not catch up to Sony worldwide in this gen, but they do have options to reduce the gap and keep the userbase close enough to where developers aren't dropping.

Personally...I don't think they have an option to drop kinect, seeing as they spent millions in R&D for it and the OS/console is designed heavily around it. I also don't think they have an option to just stay where they are, they cannot afford to keep this gap widening.

Option 2 for me, they look like they can afford it. And it would show they mean business by taking some losses on it. Sure it would provide more of a case to spin off Xbox to it's own company or another company (which should be done imo since I don't really think MS's heart is truly into gaming), but that is a risk I would take.
---
For a good laugh - http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/
#2dnmtPosted 5/7/2014 7:49:32 AM(edited)
$399 isn't low enough. They need to drop the Kinect and make it $350.
#3chaotix42Posted 5/7/2014 7:47:21 AM
Jesus. I was about to "inb4 dnmt" but too slow.

113 posts now bro, what a frenzied pace. You'll catch up to Laylow in no time.
---
GT: Falchion Sensei
Trolls are the dudebros of Gamefaqs. They just don't realize it. - curtland
#4f0rgePosted 5/7/2014 7:49:51 AM
Do they need to do anything?

Seems like its selling just fine to me. Does it really matter that Sony is selling more consoles if MS is still selling a lot of them?
#5dnmtPosted 5/7/2014 7:49:56 AM
chaotix42 posted...
Jesus. I was about to "inb4 dnmt" but too slow.

113 posts now bro, what a frenzied pace. You'll catch up to Laylow in no time.

Thank you for your contribution to this topic, it is cherished.
#6MetroidFan9999(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 7:54:37 AM
f0rge posted...
Do they need to do anything?

Seems like its selling just fine to me. Does it really matter that Sony is selling more consoles if MS is still selling a lot of them?

Well a 9 million difference between the 360 and PS3 was enough to sell many developers to drop Sony and go multiplatform, as well as make 360 exclusives. The ease of development with the 360 compared to PS3 helped alot too.

I would say, a 9 million difference in the next couple years, coupled with the PS4 being easier to develop for -- the roles would essentially be reversed but with historical trends on Sony's side where that userbase differential probably won't shrink.

However you cut it, it would be in MS's best interest to keep this gap as close as possible.
---
For a good laugh - http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/
#7AnakeriePosted 5/7/2014 8:23:24 AM
A lot of people just don't think it's worth it to pay an extra 100.00 for a peripheral they don't want or need. And this usually just attracts the herp derp "You're so poor!" crowds. I don't have Mommy and Daddy to buy me nice toys. I'm working full time and supporting my critically ill mother. Every expense has to be weighed and considered carefully. By budgeting I could afford one console last year, and I simply didn't have an extra 100.00 to blow for the privilege of talking to my television. I cannot be the only one in this situation: lower the price and remove Kinect and more sales will come.
---
GT: CrampedSultana PSN: Ana Kerie
Pawn: Zarianna. CARPE LAMA GLAMA
#8Ramsus082Posted 5/7/2014 10:02:09 AM
They should slash the price by $50, bundle their most popular games for free, and offer a year of Xbox Live at no cost. That will surely create the momentum they need.
---
"Exclusives MIGHT look better on the PS4. Multiplatform games will look identical." - You
#9dnmtPosted 5/7/2014 10:03:16 AM
Ramsus082 posted...
They should slash the price by $50, bundle their most popular games for free, and offer a year of Xbox Live at no cost. That will surely create the momentum they need.

Haha, subtle.
#10Ramsus082Posted 5/7/2014 10:12:57 AM
Seriously though, a $399 XboxOne with no Kinect does nothing for anyone. At that point, it's an underpowered PS4 without the camera, which used to be a selling point before promises were broken about the content we'd receive if everyone had one.

I don't think price is the barrier to entry for the XboxOne anymore, it's philosophy now that's keeping the core gamer market from buying one. They either favour enchanced graphics over multimedia features, or their friends already bought one since the X1 backlash never went away and now the choice has been made for them.
---
"Exclusives MIGHT look better on the PS4. Multiplatform games will look identical." - You