A Kinect-less SKU for $399 still has a major problem

#61AinodehnaPosted 5/8/2014 12:49:14 PM(edited)
Shinobi120 posted...
Ainodehna posted...
The Kinect info is irrelevant, has nothing to do with whether people want it or not.

Just like paper is going to disappear right? If streaming ever "completely takes over" it isn't happening anytime soon. Declines of this nature are gradual, not precipitous.

I know, I'm just saying, people don't exactly buy gaming consoles for TV stuff, they buy it for gaming.

There are many cheaper alternatives for TV stuff.

I think that may be where our disagreement lies. I understand that for a gamer, it makes 100% sense to go for the PS4 (unless the person wants Xbox exclusives) but for consumers as a whole, I think there are reasons that one would choose an Xbox over a PS4.

And I think that's kind of the problem MS made for themselves, trying to split down the middle between catering to gamers and catering to a larger demo.

EDIT: I should have clarified, for a gamer that wants the most powerful system it makes sense to go PS4.
---
GSW
#62natrapslivePosted 5/8/2014 12:47:07 PM
Ainodehna posted...
Megamushroom666 posted...
And that problem is it'll still be a worse value than the PS4, which is also $399 but more powerful.

They would need to cut even further and price the X1 at $349-379 to be competitive, but is that even possible?

This is subjective.

Why do PS4 fans even hang out on the Xbox One board? Nothing better to do?

My thoughts exactly.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: natraps
#63The_DOAMPosted 5/8/2014 12:49:55 PM
robert_rangersu posted...
No the problem would be the backlash fro people who already bought the console wih kinect and didn't really want kinect with it. This reason alone is why it will NEVER happen.

That's not too many people though, right?

A couple of million isn't a lot of people?

Not in terms of lifetime numbers. Compared to the potential increase in sales, it could be worth pissing off 2 million people by offering a cheaper Kinect-less SKU.

Exactly Microsoft has ticked off more than that already the PS4 sale numbers jsut don't come from PS3 owners you know. The 360 owners of last gen either went to the PS4 or held on to their 360's the exact same thing happened to the Vita the majority of PsP owners either went 3ds or kept the PsP.

Their not going to worry about ticking off a few million when many more million people are still holding on to their XboX 360. They'll have to do something now though as most people wait a year for new consoles to let the defects, bugs, and problems sift through and for the library to fatten up. This holiday season will be just as important as the launch.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#64robert_rangersuPosted 5/8/2014 12:54:29 PM
The_DOAM posted...
No the problem would be the backlash fro people who already bought the console wih kinect and didn't really want kinect with it. This reason alone is why it will NEVER happen.

That's not too many people though, right?

A couple of million isn't a lot of people?

Not in terms of lifetime numbers. Compared to the potential increase in sales, it could be worth pissing off 2 million people by offering a cheaper Kinect-less SKU.

Exactly Microsoft has ticked off more than that already the PS4 sale numbers jsut don't come from PS3 owners you know. The 360 owners of last gen either went to the PS4 or held on to their 360's the exact same thing happened to the Vita the majority of PsP owners either went 3ds or kept the PsP.

Their not going to worry about ticking off a few million when many more million people are still holding on to their XboX 360. They'll have to do something now though as most people wait a year for new consoles to let the defects, bugs, and problems sift through and for the library to fatten up. This holiday season will be just as important as the launch.

They're not going to get rid of Kinect. Anyone who even thinks this is a viable move is insane.
---
Couldn't care less = you don't care one single bit.
Could care less = you do care, at least a little.
#65AinodehnaPosted 5/8/2014 12:56:01 PM
I tend to agree they simply can't get rid of Kinect, they've invested too much into it.

However, if they're going to force it on everyone, subsidize it.
---
GSW
#66squarex8264Posted 5/8/2014 1:13:29 PM

They're not going to get rid of Kinect. Anyone who even thinks this is a viable move is insane.

I don't understand why it can't be an option. Obviously if it was separate, people could still buy it. So that audience is not missing out, and you allow people to get in on the console for a cheaper price point without the peripheral. Seems like a win-win.
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#67axelfooley2k5Posted 5/8/2014 1:19:22 PM
it better be at least 400 after e3

or there is going to be a walk off....like in zoolander
---
Sergeant Harrison Yates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv62bDzeWKQ
#68Ramsus082Posted 5/8/2014 1:20:29 PM
The issue is that the era for general consumers to buy a gaming console primarily for multimedia is probably over, or at least not nearly as significant as it used to be

Back with the PS2, many people didn't yet own a DVD player. It was an affordable alternative, and plenty of people used it as a DVD player.

With the PS3 launch, very few people owned a Blu-Ray player, and the quality of the PS3's was really good. Plenty of non-gaming consumers bought one for that reason. You can see this reflected in the PS3's hideous game attachment ratio in comparison to the X360.

The XboxOne, though? Everybody has a streaming device. Either older consoles, smart TVs and DVD/Blu-Ray players, Roku/AppleTV/Chromecast, and hell, even smartphones output in HD and can stream just as well as anything listed above. More importantly though is that the XboxOne DOESN'T replace any of those; It's a middle-man that you plug those devices into so you can use a familiar UI and utillze the Kinect integration. It won't replace your cable box, it won't replace your DVR, and streaming options are exponentially less expensive. Consumers dropping half a grand on electronics are going to be aware of this.

You could make the argument that it's more of an enhancement device for multimedia, and it's main purpose is gaming. There's merit to that, but instead of getting a specialized device that replaces anything you already own, it's kind of a jack-of-all-trades that doesn't really specialize in anything. You can "better" quality gaming devices for less, and chances are that if you're a gamer at all, you already have a device that can stream media just as well. The appeal, I guess, comes from the idea that it's something for everyone, but it's such an un-specialized product that it's hard to make the case for non-gaming consumers that this is the droid they're looking for.

IMO.
---
"Exclusives MIGHT look better on the PS4. Multiplatform games will look identical." - You
#6982xenoPosted 5/8/2014 1:30:04 PM
Horridhal posted...
Golden Maven posted...
Ainodehna posted...

Why do PS4 fans even hang out on the Xbox One board? Nothing better to do?

Sony fanboys are truly the worst. You don't see XBox or Wii U fanboys hang around on the competitors forums for months.

Are you that idiotic?

The first 5 or 6 years of last gen prove you are completely wrong. The PS3 was trolled almost religiously by both groups.

All fanboys are equally bad.

I wouldn't say GM is "idiotic"...but I do know he/she spends about 95% of his/her post count on the PS4 board trashing it and other posters....so I would say he/she is hilariously sad, honestly. lmao
---
Shwing
#70Shinobi120Posted 5/8/2014 1:33:39 PM(edited)
Ramsus082 posted...
The issue is that the era for general consumers to buy a gaming console primarily for multimedia is probably over, or at least not nearly as significant as it used to be

Back with the PS2, many people didn't yet own a DVD player. It was an affordable alternative, and plenty of people used it as a DVD player.

With the PS3 launch, very few people owned a Blu-Ray player, and the quality of the PS3's was really good. Plenty of non-gaming consumers bought one for that reason. You can see this reflected in the PS3's hideous game attachment ratio in comparison to the X360.

The XboxOne, though? Everybody has a streaming device. Either older consoles, smart TVs and DVD/Blu-Ray players, Roku/AppleTV/Chromecast, and hell, even smartphones output in HD and can stream just as well as anything listed above. More importantly though is that the XboxOne DOESN'T replace any of those; It's a middle-man that you plug those devices into so you can use a familiar UI and utillze the Kinect integration. It won't replace your cable box, it won't replace your DVR, and streaming options are exponentially less expensive. Consumers dropping half a grand on electronics are going to be aware of this.

You could make the argument that it's more of an enhancement device for multimedia, and it's main purpose is gaming. There's merit to that, but instead of getting a specialized device that replaces anything you already own, it's kind of a jack-of-all-trades that doesn't really specialize in anything. You can "better" quality gaming devices for less, and chances are that if you're a gamer at all, you already have a device that can stream media just as well. The appeal, I guess, comes from the idea that it's something for everyone, but it's such an un-specialized product that it's hard to make the case for non-gaming consumers that this is the droid they're looking for.

IMO.

And this is why Xbox One will wind up suffering as a whole, especially outside of the U.S.

Both the Original Xbox & Xbox 360 were designed with gaming in mind first, with media being secondary. That's the path that Microsoft should've continued with Xbox One, but nope, they designed the console with media in mind first over gaming (along with weaker specs, at that), & were betting on an outdated model (being Live TV), hoping that lots of consumers will pick it up, not knowing that the battle for the living room was already over to begin with.

Even Sony themselves knew that the writing was on the wall in which other companies like Apple & Google have already won the living room war, & designed PS4 with gaming in mind first with media being secondary, with stronger specs, etc, & that's one of the reasons why this strategy of theirs is working.